Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-18-2015, 01:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Bozeman , MT
Impossible leak. Can't find source.

For the past few years I have been trying to find a leak in my 2004 16 foot Bambi international that appeared on the luggage compartment. Initially I fixed a shower leak that seemed to be the problem. Last year after finding the same rotten, wet luggage compartment I searched on the forum and found the bumper issue. I cut off all the rotten wood and sealed the bumper area as showed on posts I had found. I waited for some rain and the majority of the problem seemed fixed. However this spring after a bunch of rain I found more water that apparently comes from above furnace. I removed lights on the back and found wetness in the opening of light and water dripping on the opening of furnace (see photo). The floor underneath furnace was soaked and rotten. I also noticed water seeping from black molding on bottom of airsteam pretty much around the whole perimeter. On the opposite side however the wood floor is dry so possibly black molding wetness is normal? I looked everywhere outside (see outside photo) for the furnace leak, for evident gaps or poor sealing but couldn't see anything. I was thinking that maybe the installation of the AC could be the problem and causing a leak? Were should I be looking to find this leak? Thanks so much for all the help, feeling pretty desperate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	floorbyfurnace.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	238668   Click image for larger version

Name:	sideviewofleak.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	238669  

Click image for larger version

Name:	oppositeside.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	238670   Click image for larger version

Name:	outsideview.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	291.6 KB
ID:	238671  

marchesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Can it be coming in around the AC and running to the wall and down? Try tilting the trailer the other way and see if the leak moves to the other side, or tilting it either up or Down. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Get an air test.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:42 PM   #4
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
I would 2nd the comment about checking around the AC. Also at the drip rail.... make sure it's sealed good. Both were sources of leaks on our Avion.
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:46 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Bozeman , MT
How do you get an air test? What is an air test?
Old 05-18-2015, 03:49 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Bozeman , MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Can it be coming in around the AC and running to the wall and down? Try tilting the trailer the other way and see if the leak moves to the other side, or tilting it either up or Down. Jim
Thank for the tip on checking the AC by tilting the AS. I was also wondering how the AC is sealed to the airstream. I don't really see any caulking or any seals I can visually check.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:13 PM   #7

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchesi View Post
How do you get an air test? What is an air test?
It's a test in which they pressurize the interior of the trailer with a strong fan and look for places where the air leaks out at seams, joints, windows, etc. They spray soapy water and look for bubbles.

Here's a photo of one of the MANY leaks the test found on my Argosy:

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 04:28 PM   #8
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Once you find the leaks, reverse the flow and seal.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 01:45 PM   #9
Slowpoke

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Drip rail and A/C are above the area where water is showing up. One is probably the culprit (or both). You can inspect the A/C seal at the roof after removing the cover. Most use pre-cut foam gaskets that deteriorate over time. Also check the unit's condensation drain for obstructions. The drain tube on our trailer exits in one of the wheel wells.
Gnorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:04 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Bozeman , MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnorts View Post
Drip rail and A/C are above the area where water is showing up. One is probably the culprit (or both). You can inspect the A/C seal at the roof after removing the cover. Most use pre-cut foam gaskets that deteriorate over time. Also check the unit's condensation drain for obstructions. The drain tube on our trailer exits in one of the wheel wells.
Thanks everyone for this good info.
I checked the drip rail and the seal looks pretty tight. I will remove the AC cover and hopefully find a deteriorated gasket! The condensation drain is also a very interesting possibility. I did noticed quite a bit of condensation in the unit. Anyone knows how to find the location of the condensation drain in 2004 Bambi?