Old 11-07-2014, 09:12 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Jackson , Tennessee
My answer to the original question would be that I would build the gantries and do a shell-off. When I started my reno project, I was still reeling from the "what-have-I-gotten-into?" state, I had no experience, and I knew 80% of my trailer's frame and floor were solid. The thought of a shell-off job was absurd to me at that point.

Now, having repaired, brushed, and painted the frame, added two grey tanks, insulated, sealed up the rear, installed new belly pan and propane lines, in addition to the interior work, I would have been far better off in terms of time and trouble. I wish I knew how many hours I spent flat on my back and slithering in and out over tarps, dirt, and mud.

If you're just starting out, listen to all the folks who have done it: even though it looks harder, you'll be doing yourself a favor in the long run.

Just have fun,
Alan
TennTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:10 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Barrie , Ontario
Re; flooring, I had carpet replaced with 1/2 inch laminate planks in the kitchen living area, seems to be working out ok.
Bev1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:00 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennTex View Post
My answer to the original question would be that I would build the gantries and do a shell-off. When I started my reno project, I was still reeling from the "what-have-I-gotten-into?" state, I had no experience, and I knew 80% of my trailer's frame and floor were solid. The thought of a shell-off job was absurd to me at that point.

Now, having repaired, brushed, and painted the frame, added two grey tanks, insulated, sealed up the rear, installed new belly pan and propane lines, in addition to the interior work, I would have been far better off in terms of time and trouble. I wish I knew how many hours I spent flat on my back and slithering in and out over tarps, dirt, and mud.

If you're just starting out, listen to all the folks who have done it: even though it looks harder, you'll be doing yourself a favor in the long run.

Just have fun,
Alan
We are going to replace all the tanks (fresh, grey and black). Other then being on the back while working (thinking about a under car creeper to rest on). Can the tanks be done from top? or can they only be put in from underneath? We will put the trailer up on wheel blocks and also support everything with blocks and jacks while working under it. Put a piece of plywood down and use the creeper to get around.

If the tanks can go in from cutting into the floor, I would like that too, it sounds a lot easier getting plywood off and then the tanks rather then jacking the trailer up, pulling the belly pan, pulling the cover and then the tanks.
Starstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:47 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Jackson , Tennessee
First, are you replacing tanks because of a redesign or damage? Otherwise, they should be fine for further use.

Second, replacing tanks or doing any significant drain plumbing requires dropping the belly pan and getting at it from underneath. Some folks redesign their system with, say, a black tank above the floor, but the connections will still require at least cutting access into the belly pan.

Making major cuts into the floor should be avoided as it is a key part of the structural integrity of the AS design.

Alan
TennTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:41 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennTex View Post
First, are you replacing tanks because of a redesign or damage? Otherwise, they should be fine for further use.

Second, replacing tanks or doing any significant drain plumbing requires dropping the belly pan and getting at it from underneath. Some folks redesign their system with, say, a black tank above the floor, but the connections will still require at least cutting access into the belly pan.

Making major cuts into the floor should be avoided as it is a key part of the structural integrity of the AS design.

Alan
Thanks Alan,

The tanks are original '79 center bath tanks and according to the service manuals from the PO; The black water tank had been repaired 5 different times and on the 6th it was shut off and a portapot was installed in 1993. The gray tank was repaired 3 different times but hasn't been used since early 2000. The fresh water tank was repaired once and has sat idle since early 2000.

We figured with the prior repairs and sitting for 10 years. We didn't want to chance any Montezuma's Revenge.

At the same time, we may move a few things around a little. Such as placing the toilet at a little of an angle to accommodate my large --Ah--elbows.
Starstream is offline   Reply With Quote