Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2021, 08:05 PM   #1
Master Chief BT

2018 27' International
Tyler , Texas
Ideas for holding 6” round vent cover down during towing

Does anyone have a little ‘trick’ or device that holds the handle actuator down on the 6” round bathroom and shower vent? I thought about a piece of compressible foam cut to fit or a compression spring 2” long that will fit between the plastic brace runs thru the screen and handle….reason is when it pops open and hard rain bathroom floor gets wet.

I’m just sure this forum has a “fix” without replacing the fan….Thanks in advance!
WBCCI#11290
US Navy (ret) Master Chief Boiler Technician
BTCMUSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 08:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
I don’t currently have access to my trailer. I would look at the metal handle glides that slide up and down. They have a slight amount of drag when you pull it closed or push it open. I’m wondering if slightly (bending) pinching the slides in or out would give you that extra drag you need. I can look at mine tomorrow and see if I can come up with a solution.
Old 06-07-2021, 10:06 PM   #3
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
The product in question is the "Ventline Vanair 6-1/4" Round Roof Fan." There are a number of retail sources on the net which carry the product and can be found using the quoted phrase as your search terms. Here is a link to one source where you will find a number of photographs which add clarity to both the uninstalled unit and it's various components:
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Vents-an.../VP-543SP.html

Dexter builds both the axles and the shower vents used by Airstream. The Dexter web site for parts and customer contact/support can be found here: www.ventline.com

Replacement handles (and instructions) can be gotten via the phone number below. Be advised that a full replacement was usually easier and less costly that futzing with a minor fix to an aging unit. I haven't a clue about parts pricing or availability at this point in the supply chain disruption. I do recommend contacting Ventline as the fan has a two year warranty period and they are sometimes accommodating on expiring transition dated units.

Dexter
902 South Division Street
Bristol, IN 46507

Telephone: (574) 848-4491

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote