Old 03-21-2020, 05:24 PM   #1

2020 22' Caravel
Savannah , Georgia
Question Humming noise question on 22' Caravel

Hello! Day 8 in my first Airstream (2020 22' Caravel)

After cooking dinner today I noticed a low-pitched-humming vibration coming from behind my stove top after using the farthest left burner.

The sound goes away when I do one of two things: 1.) Turn off the electric 2.) Add and hold force to the burner knob into the off position.

I am unable to get the sound to go away. It is quite distracting when trying to listen to nature with my windows open. Any recommendations to fix this minor issue? Is there any underlying concerns to this sound?

Thank you for your help in advance

margo360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 05:36 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Oakville , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by margo360 View Post
Hello! Day 8 in my first Airstream (2020 22' Caravel)

After cooking dinner today I noticed a low-pitched-humming vibration coming from behind my stove top after using the farthest left burner.

The sound goes away when I do one of two things: 1.) Turn off the electric 2.) Add and hold force to the burner knob into the off position.

I am unable to get the sound to go away. It is quite distracting when trying to listen to nature with my windows open. Any recommendations to fix this minor issue? Is there any underlying concerns to this sound?

Thank you for your help in advance
Not sure, but maybe you could just turn the breaker off for the stove Only to isolate the stove. Then if the noise is gone you still have a quieter functions trailer until you get it fixed.

Ultraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 05:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Welcome to the forum, Margo.

From the picture on the airstream site, you have a 3-burner stove, and you say the humming sound started after you used the left burner. Immediately to the left is the refrigerator. Might the sound be coming from that? Is the refrigerator on electricity or propane?

You mentioned turning off the electricity. Are you referring to power to the whole trailer, or just in that area?

Have you tried a phone call to the dealer?
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 07:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Sometimes the exterior Propane Tank in use will make a high pitch hum when in use. when propane is in use.

This is if everything else fails... this is my only example.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Other than the humming, I hope camping is going well. Here is what I'm thinking. The range top was not well secured to the cabinet housing but it was flat flush on all sides, then when you used the third burner the heat slightly plus a little give caused the sheet metal in the pan and housing to warp just a bit. Now the electrical sourced vibrations from the refrigerator may be causing the range top to vibrate. I suggest this as a possibility because turning off the electrical feed or holding the range stops the hum..... Hope this turns out to be the case. You can secure the range by twisting and removing the burners then lifting out the splash panel to access the mounting screws.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:27 AM   #6
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Port Dover , ON Canada
Does the humming sound electrical? If you have an inverter it may be the source. Your converter can also hum. Another electrical source for humming is a built in EMS/surge protector.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:22 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Oakville , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
Other than the humming, I hope camping is going well. Here is what I'm thinking. The range top was not well secured to the cabinet housing but it was flat flush on all sides, then when you used the third burner the heat slightly plus a little give caused the sheet metal in the pan and housing to warp just a bit. Now the electrical sourced vibrations from the refrigerator may be causing the range top to vibrate. I suggest this as a possibility because turning off the electrical feed or holding the range stops the hum..... Hope this turns out to be the case. You can secure the range by twisting and removing the burners then lifting out the splash panel to access the mounting screws.
This sounds good too.
Ultraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 09:26 AM   #8

2020 22' Caravel
Savannah , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
Camping is going wonderfully your description sounds just about right. The sound went away after two hours. This morning - I cooked with the other burners and experienced no issues. Tonight - I will cook with just the far left burner and see if the problem occurs again. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Have a great day!
Old 03-22-2020, 09:30 AM   #9

2020 22' Caravel
Savannah , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
Welcome to the forum, Margo.

From the picture on the airstream site, you have a 3-burner stove, and you say the humming sound started after you used the left burner. Immediately to the left is the refrigerator. Might the sound be coming from that? Is the refrigerator on electricity or propane?

You mentioned turning off the electricity. Are you referring to power to the whole trailer, or just in that area?

Have you tried a phone call to the dealer?
Thank you, David. The sound subsided after two hours. I am experimenting today with the other burners to see if the problem is all three of them or specific burners. And my refrigerator runs on electric. I will reach out to my dealer if the problem occurs again today. I hope it is something I can fix on my own (if it happens again) since traveling is difficult in the healthcare field currently. Thanks again

Tags
caravel