Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2020, 10:53 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Sacramento , California
How to hook up to test everything at your home

Hello All,
Finally got her home and started the process today. How do I hook it up to our house so I can test everything? I had bought a camco adaptor and plugged it into an outlet in the garage and nothing...? Want to fill the tanks with the hose and check for leaks too? Need some guidance how to assess what works and what doesn’t when renovating out in front of your garage? Any help would be much appreciated!
Ctmchristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctmchristo View Post
Hello All,

Finally got her home and started the process today. How do I hook it up to our house so I can test everything? I had bought a camco adaptor and plugged it into an outlet in the garage and nothing...? Want to fill the tanks with the hose and check for leaks too? Need some guidance how to assess what works and what doesn’t when renovating out in front of your garage? Any help would be much appreciated!

Not sure I understand the question. You are not sure how to get shore power and city water connected?

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
You’re leaving us all guessing about your level of troubleshooting skills. Are you handy with a multimeter? Plumbing? Have you had RV’s in the past?
Get some basic test equipment, and guidance on using it if necessary. Invite a knowledgeable neighbor over for a beer. Old A-S’s invite all kinds of attention - you might as well take advantage of it.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 10:48 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Sacramento , California
Smile You guys figured me out lol

Yes I have absolutely no experience! I have never owned an rv, no tools, and don’t know how to get “shore power’ or hook up to city water. Just doing one step at a time and trying to learn as I go. I have done all the labor parts so far that doesn’t take any skill. Ripped the carpet out, cleaned out the inside and the outside of it. Was going to take out the curtains tomorrow and clean out all the window seals. Thanks for responding. I’ll head to the local hardware store tomorrow for the altimeter.
Ctmchristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Quote:
Yes I have absolutely no experience! I have never owned an rv, no tools, and don’t know how to get “shore power’ or hook up to city water. Just doing one step at a time and trying to learn as I go. I have done all the labor parts so far that doesn’t take any skill. Ripped the carpet out, cleaned out the inside and the outside of it. Was going to take out the curtains tomorrow and clean out all the window seals. Thanks for responding. I’ll head to the local hardware store tomorrow for the altimeter.

Well, congrats!
I’m in Santa Rosa temporarily and can do my best to help with general stuff. We have a 18 classic, so a lot has changed between what you have and what we have! I’m not familiar with the vintage trailers but if you’re able to work through it all we can try and guide you the best we can.

All of the utilities should be in the driver side of the airstream or opposite side of the door (curb).

You should have a water fill port on that side somewhere. It will just be a hole that you can fit a hose end into. Usually a screw can and a lockable cover is over the port to prevent foreign debris from getting in. For city water you with have some sort of connection that you screw you hose onto in order to make a sealed connection. Once connected you can slowly turn on the water to charge the system and test for leaks.

You may have a waste tank clean out connection, not sure exactly if you have one on your year though. Basically it may look and work just like the city water line but if you have zero water inside the trailer then you may have the water line connected to the sewer clean out and instead of charging the system, the water is just going into the sewer tank.

For power, you should have a larger cable on your trailer that is likely a 30amp plug. Sounds like you bought the adapter for 30amp to standard 110 outlet? You should be able to just plug into your house outlet with that. If it doesn’t power the trailer, you may have an electrical issue with the charging system. A little plug tester will come in handy to test outlets throughout the trailer or even for the house to ensure you didn’t accidentally throw a breaker somewhere.

Good luck!

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:33 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
. . . I’ll head to the local hardware store tomorrow for the altimeter.

Be sure to take some supplemental oxygen with you . . .

Welcome to the forum and good luck,
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:01 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Dang auto correct! Otra15 and I both know you meant multimeter. BigSxyWhtGuy’s suggestion for an outlet tester is a simple alternative. Whatever you do, don’t plug your 30 A cord directly into a 230 V dryer outlet!
Welcome to the wonderful world of RV ownership- the best and worst of home and car ownership combined. We’re here for you!
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:34 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
How do I hook it up to our house so I can test everything?

Need some guidance how to assess what works and what doesn’t
You may want to download this 1973 Owner's Manuel to help you better understand your Airstream's systems...it'll help you learn how it should work if it's working.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote