Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2017, 06:05 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
How to fix trim pulling away from the wall

Hi all,

Our 2012 25FB has had an issue for a while where the trim pulls away from the wall next to the fridge, usually after traveling over a rough road. I pound it back, it happens again. Only the top part of the trim is separating

I am looking for suggestions for a permanent fix. Thanks in advance!

barrettjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 06:12 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Elmer's wood glue, or Gorilla Glue. The latter would work better, but the trim piece would need to be secured firmly to the bulkhead/wall panel after applying it. Make sure you follow the directions. It would be a good idea to put silicone of something that will hinder whatever you use from sticking to the visible surface before applying either of them.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I had a similar problem with my Safari 25. I used Gorilla Glue and a brad nailer to hold it until the glue set. The tiny brad holes were largely invisible, but we filled them with a furniture touch-up crayon anyway. My wall was bordered with real oak. If yours is just vinyl covered trim, the vinyl may pull away from the base unless you use some kind or mechanical attachment.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 01:27 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
A little Gorilla Glue and a pin nailer. You won't see the hole.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 02:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Gorilla Glue is a wonderful glue, but you should know that its foams up while setting and the foaming glue can squeeze out of the joint for some time after applying the glue. The setup time for Gorilla Glue is about 2 hours, so if you see no foam before that time, you should be okay.

If you see foam coming out, wipe it off immediately. A piece of paper towel wetted with denatured (or isopropyl) alcohol will help in wiping excess off.

It is good idea to wear disposable gloves when working with Gorilla Glue. It can stick to and stain your fingers.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:51 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Fixed, I think!

Thanks for the replies. I used Gorilla glue and adjustable clamps to hold the trim while the glue dried. I was able to anchor the clamps in an open cabinet and the open fridge (I was careful not to make the ones anchored in the fridge too tight).

Thanks to the warnings about it foaming, I knew to keep checking it until it had totally set. Several times there were small beads of glue the came out of the joint, which I got wiped off before they dried.

The fix has held for about 2,000 miles so far, including on bumpy Oklahoma Interstate highways.
barrettjl is offline   Reply With Quote