Old 10-14-2020, 05:19 PM   #61
3 Rivet Member

2020 23' International
Evergreen , Colorado
I had my Airstream underside treated with Mouse Free, just over a month ago. It was a spray-on application, with particular focus on areas where mice might try to enter the trailer. It repels mice in a couple of ways, one being that it's a petroleum product that is very slippery, and it makes it very difficult for mice to cling to or climb the trailer. It also is infused with mint oil, which acts as a natural repellent.

My understanding is that access points for mice on the roof of the trailer are problematic, particularly through the A/C system. Mouse Free is designed to help prevent mice from getting on the roof in the first place. I'm pretty sure that my intruder got in through the roof, based on the noises that we heard. Again - I was parked right next to a tree with overhanging branches, and I feel that might have been his access to the roof. I'm still pissed off that the mouse got inside in the first place! I'm hoping that it wasn't a pregnant female mouse!

I'm definitely going to do a thorough inspection and filling of any potential access points, everywhere that I can find one.

2020 International Serenity 23 FB "Sparkle Plenty"
2018 GMC Denali 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 06:11 PM   #62
1 Rivet Member

San Leandro , California
Thanks Dennis. Best of luck getting rid of this intruder!

Let us know of access points you find.
Gmca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 04:12 PM   #63
3 Rivet Member

2020 23' International
Evergreen , Colorado
Update

I might be the guy who had mouse instead of mice. The day after the initial sighting, and I believe the day the critter entered the Airstream, we parked it, cleaned it up, and I set four traps. That was last Tuesday. I checked on it today, fully expecting to find a dead mouse in one of the traps. To my surprise, the traps were untouched. There were no signs of mice in the trailer at all - no droppings, etc. I think this is notable, because the day after the mouse got into the Airstream, we had mouse droppings on the floor, on the counter, etc. Today there was nothing. We removed everything from the cabinets, including all food and paper products. We also put bounce sheets in various locations around the trailer. I think we may have gotten the mouse out before he could do any damage or reproduce.

Fingers crossed! I'll check it again in a couple of days.

Old 10-17-2020, 05:17 PM   #64
1 Rivet Member

San Leandro , California
Great news! Make sure to close all holes to avoid future intruders.
Gmca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 06:09 PM   #65
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Elbert , CO
We figured it would be better to make the trailer unattractive to them rather than try to flush them out after they came in. We typically have 6 to 10 bars of Irish Spring placed in the backs of cabinets, etc. They're out of the way, the trailer always smells "Clean As A Whistle", and even though it's parked in a barn known to have a lot of rodentia tenants, we have had no mice inside. But - just in case, we have tin cats by each tire, and now and again one wanders into to those. But we're OK with that!
djb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:26 AM   #66
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Allen , Texas
Thumbs up square rail tubes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Mice love Airstreams just like people do. They appreciate a well designed, high quality luxury travel trailer.

The entry areas I plugged include propane lines, rear bumper storage lid, wheel wells, fresh water drain line, belly pan seam separations, and the like. One thing I overlooked with the dog gone A frame rails where they come together under the coupler. There stands two big 6 by 2 open ended steel channels. All I needed is a mice welcome mat. This is also a good place for rain water entrance while towing.

Sonic repellants are the way to go. At least until mice get ear plugs.

David
I had rat s come thru the square steel rail on the door side. Chewed thru plastic tub holding fresh water tank. Found hot water pex line, Chewed thru that. Dropped tank, removed inside cabinets, replaced PEX. I used a can of foam insulation and filled those rails from both ends and both sides of trailer. Fun times.
David Logue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:42 AM   #67
3 Rivet Member

2020 23' International
Evergreen , Colorado
I checked my Airstream again yesterday when it was winterized for the season. No sign of rodents, so I feel pretty good about the fact that my intruder is either gone, or perhaps dead somewhere in the bowels of my trailer. Hopefully it's the former. I'll be filling all potential access points ASAP to try to limit future intruders.

Old Yesterday, 09:44 AM   #68
2 Rivet Member

2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
IF you have nothing overhead, branches etc, how in the world are the mice getting onto the roof? I know they are amazing climbers, until they encounter a smooth surface. Mice cannot climb the aluminum structure.
s1000pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:50 AM   #69
3 Rivet Member

2020 23' International
Evergreen , Colorado
On the evening when the mouse entered the Airstream, we were parked under a tree with overhanging branches close to the roof. I'm almost certain that's where he got inside.

Old Yesterday, 01:23 PM   #70
2 Rivet Member

2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Got it! I just winterized my 2020 25FB. Im wondering how concerned I should be with this. I have nothing over head, parked on asphalt at a local Public Storage. All paper products and food have been removed, scoured the interior. If a mouse does get in, will it attack the foam mattress and cushions? Do you guys remove the cushions and mattresses?
s1000pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:07 PM   #71
3 Rivet Member

2020 23' International
Evergreen , Colorado
I wouldn't be terribly worried, but obviously take the measures outlined in the thread above. It seems like it is a constant battle with critters who want inside.

Old Yesterday, 02:15 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1000pre View Post
Got it! I just winterized my 2020 25FB. Im wondering how concerned I should be with this. I have nothing over head, parked on asphalt at a local Public Storage. All paper products and food have been removed, scoured the interior. If a mouse does get in, will it attack the foam mattress and cushions? Do you guys remove the cushions and mattresses?
I had them tear up the factory pillows. They removed all the fringes and made nests out of them along with the kleenex from the box. So far they've left the mattress. But removing ALL food items is a must. Nothing can be left not even the spice jars (ask me how I know). Set up traps and then check the trailer regularly. You will soon discover if you have an issue.
gator.bigfoot is online now   Reply With Quote