Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Statesville , North Carolina
How much demo before it's safe to tow ?

In the process of stripping my newly aquired 29 Ambassador so floor and frame issues can be taken care of. My question is how much is too much to take out as far as interior before it is unsafe to tow to prevent any further frame, shell, or structure issues. It is looking like this will possibly turn into a "Full Monte" depending on what I find when the belly pan is removed and lower interior walls are removed. There is an ant issue so I am thinking if I go this far I might as well clean and put new insulation top to bottom. Looking for that new camper smell once it is all done. Thanks in Advance for all your help AF Members.
mgppilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
The interior cabinetry/wall partitions are non-structural, so as long as the trailer is fastened to the C channel and the floor is mostly sound around the perimeter, you should be ok. If the trailer was parked in wet conditions for many years, you may have frame issues, but those tend to happen slowly.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:34 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
The inner skin contributes to overall strength, so I would tow it to it's final destination before drilling all the interior rivets out and removing the panels to change insulation.

If you don't already have one already, pick up a service manual that shows you all the wiring and construction schematics. If you are full-montying, now would be the time to check all wiring, heating and plumbing and update as needed.

If you are going to reinstall the same interior cabinets after, take lots of pictures before you gut it so you have references to put it back together with.

Good luck!

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:47 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Statesville , North Carolina
I should hopefully know within a couple weeks if this will be a complete "Full Monte" Have a local forum member coming by this week to give me his opinoin and prob going to drop it by ODM since its only an hour away and have those guys give it a once over then get to work. I know its going to be a 5/8 Full Monte at least. I have a cabinet maker in the family so going to make new cabinets, closets, and vanity and bulkhead walls. And yes all wiring, plumbing, tanks, pumps, lights, will get changed if there is any question they are not ready for 10 years of service. It may take 3 years to fully complete but it will be done correct and proper the first time!! Do it once and do it right!
mgppilot is offline   Reply With Quote