Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-09-2014, 10:21 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Puyallup , Washington
How does the water heater switches work

When I hit the battery switch the water heater starts clicking - trying to light I think.

I know there are 2 swithches and a light but cant remember how they actually work.

Is there a way to keep the hot water off?

2012 FC19
srpuywa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
One switch is probably for gas, the other electricity. On my 2013 the off position is same as room light off. Push bottom side of switch. The red light on mine doesn't do much. Briefly and faintly flickers when the propane is igniting.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Airstream Forums mobile app
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:35 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
On my Safari, above the vanity sink, is a panel with a switch for the water heater and a red light indicating it is lighting. Turn the heater switch off and the water heater won't try to light. Maybe your model has something similar. The switch is just above the water faucet, below the mirror.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
There should only be one switch involved in lighting the hot water heater. Generally that switch is directly over the heater, in the bathroom, and is a toggle switch that lights when first turned on, assuming the heater is cold. The light will remain on until the main flame has lite.

Simply turning that switch off will turn the heater off.

Turning the switch off closes the gas valve and the flame will go out.

While the switch is on the heater will cycle against the clicks on switches mounted on the face of the heater. One of those clicks ons is normally closed and is the high limit safety switch. The other clicks on is normally open and closes as the heater cools to turn the heater on.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:27 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Puyallup , Washington
So both switches down as in this photo are off?

There isn't a circuit breaker for the water heater?

Old 06-09-2014, 01:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by srpuywa View Post
So both switches down as in this photo are off?

There isn't a circuit breaker for the water heater?

Yes, both switches down is off. The switch on the right is AC powered. The left is propane. The red light will come on if the propane does not light.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
The switch on the right in the picture that shows a gas flame is for propane. The switch on the left that shows a thunderbolt is for electricity. Both switches should be off when pushed in on the bottom. The gas light is a fault light. When it comes on and stays on it means that the heater did not light. There is not a light to indicate if a switch is on or not.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Thanks for explaining the purpose of the red light. I just figured mine was broken since it never lit up bright. Now I know that off is good.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:54 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Puyallup , Washington
OK thanks all - looks like I will be labeling those switches

Is there a CB for the electrical side?
Old 06-09-2014, 06:29 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by srpuywa View Post
OK thanks all - looks like I will be labeling those switches

Is there a CB for the electrical side?

As previously noted, the switch with the lightning bolt operates the 120v electric heating element, and the one with the flame operates the gas burner, and the red light indicates a failure (gas mode). Both switches are 12v circuits to the circuit board on the front of the water heater. One of the 12v fuses in the fuse panel provides power to the board, switches and gas solenoid valve. There is a 120v circuit breaker that provides power to the electric heating element through a junction box on the rear of most late model water heaters. A relay on the passes the 120v to the element.

Pulling the 12v fuse will effectively disable the water heater, but 120v will be present in there should you go poking around. Switching the circuit breaker off will disable the 120v operation, but if the fuse is in place, normal gas operation is available.

This was probably an involved answer to a simple question.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:18 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Puyallup , Washington
silver goose - thanks a lot for the info

I went out to the trailer yesterday and flipped on the battery disconnect and checked the switches, I think the gas one was on because I opened the water hearer panel and it was fired up. I closed off the gas bottle and it went out so now I need to do a thorough investigation with the switches in the down (off position) to check to see if the gas and electric switches are working properly
Old 11-17-2017, 05:07 AM   #12

1957 26' Overlander
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Dumb question for an old thread.

Can one simply leave the water heater switch on so that it heats whenever it needs to?

I would assume that this is the case but I seem to be finding that I need to turn the switch on and off in order to get it to reset very often (daily at least).

Might I have something wrong or is this normal operation?
Mobilicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:18 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
If the trailer is parked you can certainly just leave the switch on. There are thermostats to cut the heater on and off as needed.

However we do not run ours that way. Since the heater is under my wife bed we cut it off at night for sure. Ours tends to keep the water hotter than we like it when on all the time. So about an hour in the morning and an hour at night does it for us. And I always have the water heater switch in the off position when traveling.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:14 AM   #14

1957 26' Overlander
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Thanks for the response. In other words, if I get the red light staying on, it’s not working and needs a reset.

I did discover that my propane switching valve was kerfluey and Now that I replaced it, will keep an eye on whether the heater remains on or not.

As for the water temperature, Atwood makes an adjustable thermostat that you can install in place of your old one. The process is not too difficult
Mobilicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:34 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Great topic!
I don't keep the WH switch on. I use it in the morning and evening. Water stays hot for dishes etc.
I was concerned that when I flipped on the water heater, the light did not come on. Is that a warning light? (The water got hot, so I didn't worry enough to dig out the manual.)
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:46 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Lake Worth Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I was concerned that when I flipped on the water heater, the light did not come on. Is that a warning light? (The water got hot, so I didn't worry enough to dig out the manual.)
The light only comes on briefly to indicate that the propane is igniting. Once the propane has ignited and the heater is heating, it goes off and stays off until it needs to reignite.

If it goes off and comes back on repeatedly it's having trouble igniting. Eventually (I believe after 3 attempts) it stops trying and the light remains lit.

Jim
2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, Cummins TurboDiesel
AirstreamJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:46 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamJim View Post
The light only comes on briefly to indicate that the propane is igniting. Once the propane has ignited and the heater is heating, it goes off and stays off until it needs to reignite.

If it goes off and comes back on repeatedly it's having trouble igniting. Eventually (I believe after 3 attempts) it stops trying and the light remains lit.

Jim
Thanks. Mine is electric/gas, so when I flipped on electric, I saw the light flicker an instant, then stay off. Now I understand it's a warning light, not an indicator light.
My former RV, the light stayed on to remind you the WH was on.
I always learn something here.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:56 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Thanks. Mine is electric/gas, so when I flipped on electric, I saw the light flicker an instant, then stay off. Now I understand it's a warning light, not an indicator light.
My former RV, the light stayed on to remind you the WH was on.
I always learn something here.

Never having an RV until we bought our 2012 - this and the store/use switch became the most confusing user interface decisions I had come across in the trailer. In my brain, you turn ON the WH and you expect the light to be ON - indicating your intention happened. Instead, you turn it on, and the light goes off. Huh?

I still can't describe the use/store switch in English. When plugged in to shore power, the light is on no matter what position you think you selected. When plugged in I believe the batteries charge when in use mode but not in store mode, though I think it's possible the batteries charge either way when plugged in. Dagnabbit - I'm still cornfused! At least I understand the funky WH switch....I think....
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:06 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Never having an RV until we bought our 2012 - this and the store/use switch became the most confusing user interface decisions I had come across in the trailer. In my brain, you turn ON the WH and you expect the light to be ON - indicating your intention happened. Instead, you turn it on, and the light goes off. Huh?

I still can't describe the use/store switch in English. When plugged in to shore power, the light is on no matter what position you think you selected. When plugged in I believe the batteries charge when in use mode but not in store mode, though I think it's possible the batteries charge either way when plugged in. Dagnabbit - I'm still cornfused! At least I understand the funky WH switch....I think....
To make things worse, the Use/Store switch actions differ by model year. In the newer AS, if there is shore power, charging is active. In older models, charging is active only if the switch is in Use. The red light indicates 12volt power is available. So when you plug into shore power, the converter is supplying 12v to the AS and the red light is on, regardless of the the Use/Store switch position. When not on shore power, the red light is on only if the switch is in Use.

Here is a spreadsheet I made for my 2006 Safari. Your mileage may vary.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Use-Store.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	299369  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Use-Store.pdf (30.6 KB, 32 views)
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote