Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2012, 01:02 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
One option is three or five stainless steel kitchen scouring pads - the knit ones that have the volume of a teacup - imbued and embedded in spray foam to glue & weatherproof them in place, while keeping them near the opening so they can be inspected. Another option is roof/gutter flashing tin-smithed to friction bind in the opening and then reinserted with the extreme weather-stripping adhesive used for window gaskets.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:15 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
Harrison Hot Springs , British Columbia
Dido, plug the holes with stainless pads, and use aluminum flashing for big holes and/or gap. Glue, rivet, or foam, but "Just Do It" and you'll be a"Happy Camper".
Ribbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:39 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
On our Bambi we've had two places that have been proven entry points - one is where the sewage drains come out of the trailer through the skin (caulked around the drain - no problems since) - second is where the drain from the refrigerator compartment exits into the wheel well (this was self-inflicted - I had replaced the steel mesh screen with some fibreglass screen - not smart) - simply replaced the screen with the original type (took forever to find) and no problems since.

Two things since our rodent "events" - we now always have two traps on board "just in case" - and a regular maintenance task is to do an underbelly inspection every spring and fall to check caulking, gaps etc.

Good Luck,

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:29 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
A cat. Or a dog who is a good ratter. Some are. Our little dog is quicker to detect a mouse and quicker to kill it than the cats we've had in the past were.

Airstream never cut a hole for a pipe that wasn't two sizes too big. I filled them with foam insulation, stopped up the ant, mouse, spider hallway from the tongue with steel wool (yes, it rusts, but I keep forgetting to replace it with copper scrubbies), put a couple of packages of Downey Sheets everywhere, bang around in all the cabinets and cubby holes frequently, and keep poison in convenient places for them. We don't leave the steps down when we aren't living in it because it's almost impossible to stop up those holes. There are routes into the belly pan (and then the house!) from the hook ups, sometimes by the spare tire, etc.

So far, so good. But it's fall. When we bought the trailer it had lots of evidence of mouse inhabitation in floor cabinets, behind the couch, etc., but the most amazing nests were in the belly pan when we patched the floor.

The trouble with having mice is that they cause YOU KNOW WHATS to come in after them! And I cannot have YOU KNOW WHATS in my trailer. (Don't ya'll start on me!)

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:11 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
I too have had mice problems in each of the two AS we have owned. I tried one of those ultrasonic repellents. I went in the trailer one day and found a mouse sitting on the floor eating something right in front of the sonic repellent. Needless to say, I unplugged it and threw it away. Then I went on a hole search and started plugging them up. I found about 6 places where I was sure they could get in. I still got one every once in a while, but not as many as before.
Morgan guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:34 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Thinking about the tongue/A frame holes.............couldn't a welder cut a piece of steel and weld it in place to fill in those holes? Would this do anything bad concerning the strength of the tongue for towing?

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawChick View Post
The trouble with having mice is that they cause YOU KNOW WHATS to come in after them! And I cannot have YOU KNOW WHATS in my trailer. (Don't ya'll start on me!)
I was thinking of that as soon as I saw your post.

When I lived in Texas, I turned a 5'11" YOU KNOW WHAT loose in the mobile home I rented. I never saw another mouse. Of course I don't expect you to be happy with this technique.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:46 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
So what you are saying is get rid of the cats and yap yap dogs and get you a big python? The python will take care of the dogs and cats for you as well but I am sure they are not as cuddly.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:52 AM   #29
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I wonder if there is a "Python Spray" on the market, that gives the scent of a python in order to scare rodents off!?

That would be toadly cool...!
Old 10-11-2012, 07:08 AM   #30
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
how do rats get into an Airstream?

well, in our case, we just paid for it, signed the paperwork, and moved right in.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:13 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
So what you are saying is get rid of the cats and yap yap dogs and get you a big python? The python will take care of the dogs and cats for you as well but I am sure they are not as cuddly.

Perry
In my case, I used a locally available gray rat snake. Seems kind of appropriate for this thread. (Locally available means I caught it in the road)

It's not as big as a python, so it can get into those mouse and rat places better. It is a constrictor though, so the principle is the same.

As far as the thread's original question, "how do rats get into the trailer?", I just go in the front door.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:17 AM   #32
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
I kept a red-tailed boa constrictor as a pet for many years back in a previous life. Was great fun to feed him mice. But after he ate one or maybe two, he just crashed for a week or two.

Our Jack Russell Terrieriest, on the other hand, would stay up all night killing rats if he had the opportunity. He's quicker than the snake was.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:18 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Took us two years to seal up our little Bambi. Unfortunately Airstream does a lot of 'rough cutting'. They should offer a 'mouse proof' upgrade option on purchase :-)
campadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:52 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
If I get mice, I'll let you turn a YOU KNOW WHAT loose in my trailer. He kills the mice - then I shoot him at least 15 times. Problem solved.
Oh- did ya want him back alive? LOL

Reba McEntire

Old 10-17-2012, 08:57 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Another idea. Take your 'stream to Florida for winter, it's warm, rodents jump out, then Florida's YOU KNOW WHATS eat them..

Reba McEntire

Old 10-17-2012, 09:14 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
If I get mice, I'll let you turn a YOU KNOW WHAT loose in my trailer. He kills the mice - then I shoot him at least 15 times. Problem solved.
Oh- did ya want him back alive? LOL
Gosh Carol, I like to think that you could take care of business in less than 15 rounds.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:36 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

Stone Mountain , Georgia
Please don't use that "sticky paper" or glue traps. Even though i don't want mice or rats sharing my abode; i wouldn't wish that torture on anything.

I had success getting mice out of an abandoned trailer by using Bounce dryer sheets. A thorough cleaning, removal of all nesting material and then liberal sprinkling of said sheets and the meeces moved to greener pastures.

This success was repeated in a cabin as well. I've had two friends try dryer sheets, with no success, but neither used the Bounce brand, so I don't know if that is key.

Good luck!
SpiritAtBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:53 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

Stone Mountain , Georgia
Another thought, as regards to Python scent spray...
Once had a family of raccoons take up residence in our attic. (Lord what noise they made--sounded like a barn dance going on up there!)
We tried a multitude of remedies to get them out, short of poison or shooting them (didn't want them to fall down into the walls and stink up the place.)

Finally, I read online that coons would avoid an area that smelled of dog. I looked at my Siberian Husky...

Igathered up a bunch of old "knee-highs" (remember those, ladies?) Put a bunch of husky hair in each one, weighted it with a small rock and tossed these 'dog bombs' into the far reaches of the attic and everywhere the coons hung out.

Momma coon packed up her babies and moved out 2 days later. Then we closed the opening to prevent any future squatters.

Wonder if this would work with rats and mice?
SpiritAtBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:18 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Vaughan - ok...confession here - I probably couldn't hit the side of a big red barn if I saw a YNW in the traylah! I'd run off like a little prissy girl... screaming bloody murder.

Reba McEntire

Old 10-19-2012, 07:52 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Vaughan - ok...confession here - I probably couldn't hit the side of a big red barn if I saw a YNW in the traylah! I'd run off like a little prissy girl... screaming bloody murder.

That's actually a time proven defense for YNWs, though. It's worked since the beginning of time.