Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2015, 04:48 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
St.John's , Newfoundland
How do I clean out the fridge chimney?

It's getting gas flow and the 110 AC cooling works..12v tests good...the pilot will light but it seems like when the thermo-couple kicks in the flame comes out of the side/back of the burner housing in a very scary way..I'm thinking maybe the chimney is blocked? fridge is a Dometic RM 75a..
NfldAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Yes, that does sound like a blocked refrigerator boiler tube. unfortunately that generally requires a full removal of the refrigerator in order to get at the tube and baffle which hangs inside it. On some Airstreams, generally older than yours, there was a circular top access to the boiler tube and baffle. It was in the countertop over the refrigerator. But I think that practice ended in the 60's. However, look to see anyway. It would be in the upper left corner of the refrigerator, in whatever counter or compartment that is there.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

It doesn't sound like a " chimney " problem

I think they are referred to as vents, but I understand what you mean.

Anyway, it's hard to tell without seeing it, but from what you said…it sounds like a nozzle orifice problem. Usually they clog and don't fire up. In your case, it sounds like your nozzle is damaged, maybe melted. I fixed mine..I think it is actually plastic…..I KNOW…. doesn't seem like a smart design. You should have it checked out and probably not use it.

They are easy to diagnose if you know how they are supposed to perform. If you need to fix it yourself…I suggest you find a friend and see how theirs works. I just ended up replacing the nozzle…easy and cheap.
I was warned against try to unclog mine with a pin, because they are so easy to damage.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Yeah or what Idroba said

Note: the boiler tube is not the vent that goes up to the top of the trailer, which is what I thought you were talking about.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 04:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Shut off the gas and use a leaf blower to blow both up and down through the vent. You may be surprised at what comes out.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:39 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
LaVale , Maryland
Check the burner tube for mud dauber wasp nest too.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
There is no pilot on the refer. Just a thermostatically controlled burner. The flame is on all of the time in the small burner. The thermostat increases and decreases the amount of gas going to the burner depending on the set point of the thermostat as compared to the inside temp of the refer.
You should check the gas pressure at the test port in the gas line at the refer. It requires 11" of water column. Any more than that might be the reason for the big flame you see.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote