Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2019, 06:33 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Warrenton , Virginia
Aluminum tape

That tape also comes in two thicknesses, if you get the thicker stuff you really only need two layers and it's really robust.

As for the galvanic action with the aluminum...also note that it doesn't get along with stainless steel very well.

Just an FYI
captainkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 09:31 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Bishop , California
The gorilla tape is very thick; the aluminum, not as much. Together they've made quite a seal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainkirk View Post
That tape also comes in two thicknesses, if you get the thicker stuff you really only need two layers and it's really robust.

As for the galvanic action with the aluminum...also note that it doesn't get along with stainless steel very well.

Just an FYI
streamvizsla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 06:09 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Question to those that have used steel wool for filling gaps. Will it corrode like the others that have been mentioned?
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 08:36 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Warrenton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrady62 View Post
Question to those that have used steel wool for filling gaps. Will it corrode like the others that have been mentioned?
That depends on the type of steel wool you use.....according to the galvanic action charts it looks like the regular steel would corrode the aluminum less than the stainless steel or copper pads might.

Having said that....the regular steel will rust much quicker than the stainless steel will so it's a bit up in the air as to the best solution if you go that way....in my opinion.

I personally haven't tried either and would just use the thick aluminum tape to cover the hole and that shouldn't cause as much trouble long term.

Just my thoughts not to be confused with anything resembling facts
captainkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 08:54 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
You could make aluminum patches for the holes and gaps,pop rivet them on then not worry about it again for years...
Just my 2˘.
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 10:03 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Bishop , California
Thanks. There are a few spots that would work and will look into that. I have many other spots are in tight spaces and around utilities etc. The tape has worked well there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo Girl View Post
You could make aluminum patches for the holes and gaps,pop rivet them on then not worry about it again for years...
Just my 2˘.
Old 12-28-2019, 10:05 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Bishop , California
As soon as it gets wet it will corrode. I full-time so I need to be mindful about water on the underbelly. I'm really liking my tape solution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrady62 View Post
Old 12-28-2019, 10:06 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Aluminum is a fantastic building material. One big reason is the primary corrosion product forms a thin, smooth, continuous film that protects the metal from further corrosion. It does so except when the aluminum is touching dissimilar metals and those metals are easily reactive due to voltaic potentials. Aluminum unfortunately is one of the strongest anodes so all the common metal building materials will cause it to rapidly corrode.

Of other common metals, copper is among the most reactive in contact with aluminum. Zinc and Chrome are among the most compatible with aluminum, then stainless steel. Everything else should be avoided when the metals must be in contact and in the presence of moisture.

As someone mentioned, plain steel wool is a poor choice (not nearly as poor as copper wool), while stainless steel wool is not nearly as bad though is still not a "great" thing to use. Those recommending aluminum tape have made good suggestions because, though it is aluminum alloy, it is coated with a glue film. Different alloys of aluminum should also be separated from each other with a thin film whenever possible. Non-metallic sealant is an excellent choice and should be used as the go to solution whenever practical.

Where steel must contact aluminum, like the frame, stainless fasteners and such, keep those areas coated with paint (consider a clear coat) or weather and grime resistant "dry" lubricants. The furnace screws are a classic place for corrosion induced by the stainless screws, where the steel and chrome plated sheet metals and high temperatures just make it worse.
Old 12-28-2019, 11:03 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Bishop , California
Thank you for your knowledgeable comment and providing the reassurance that the tape solution was a good choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
Aluminum is a fantastic building material. One big reason is the primary corrosion product forms a thin, smooth, continuous film that protects the metal from further corrosion. It does so except when the aluminum is touching dissimilar metals and those metals are easily reactive due to voltaic potentials. Aluminum unfortunately is one of the strongest anodes so all the common metal building materials will cause it to rapidly corrode.

Of other common metals, copper is among the most reactive in contact with aluminum. Zinc and Chrome are among the most compatible with aluminum, then stainless steel. Everything else should be avoided when the metals must be in contact and in the presence of moisture.

As someone mentioned, plain steel wool is a poor choice (not nearly as poor as copper wool), while stainless steel wool is not nearly as bad though is still not a "great" thing to use. Those recommending aluminum tape have made good suggestions because, though it is aluminum alloy, it is coated with a glue film. Different alloys of aluminum should also be separated from each other with a thin film whenever possible. Non-metallic sealant is an excellent choice and should be used as the go to solution whenever practical.

Where steel must contact aluminum, like the frame, stainless fasteners and such, keep those areas coated with paint (consider a clear coat) or weather and grime resistant "dry" lubricants. The furnace screws are a classic place for corrosion induced by the stainless screws, where the steel and chrome plated sheet metals and high temperatures just make it worse.
Old 01-01-2020, 11:54 AM   #30

2020 27' Flying Cloud
Islamorada , Florida
Aluminum Duct Tapes

I've used several of the aluminum duct tapes and make sure you purchase a 3M commercial brand which are thicker hold better and last longer. Most come with red lettering on them which can be removed with lacquer thinner or other solvent, to keep the aluminum look. It's not cheap usually for a 3" wide roll it's about $30-$45. You can buy for $10-$15 but you get what you pay for. Here's a link to one of the thicker ones but it's pricey. https://www.hillas.com/Categories/Fo...=Ad+group+%231
bcpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 01:01 PM   #31

1980 25' International
Napanee , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamvizsla View Post
2019 Globetrotter

I've tried filling the holes and gaps in my bully pan with various metal based products (copper scrubbers etc) only to find the beginning signs of "corrosion" a few weeks later.

I've been reading about aluminum tape and feel most comfortable using that. Is there a difference between aluminum duct tape and aluminum foil tape?

I've read here in the forums folks using aluminum "duct" tape.

Would someone be so kind as to give me some clarity and a recommendation.

Thanks.
I had a long tear where the pan was corroded. From the hardware store I purchased the rolled aluminium sheet, cut an overlay patch to cover the entire area, caulked the surface to seal it and pop-riveted in numerous places.
Richard1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 01:23 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Denver , Colorado
i learned last summer when trying to fix a leak, that the holes in the belly pan are made by the factory. Their purpose is to allow any water that may get into the pans to drain. My holes look like 1/2" drill holes.
Globeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 02:24 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
2008 25' Safari SS SE
Austin , Texas
In addition to sealing exterior holes, NEVER keep food in unused camper. Mice WILL find it, even in sealed packages or storage containers.
Old 01-02-2020, 02:52 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Littleton , Colorado
Mice

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamvizsla View Post
2019 Globetrotter

I've tried filling the holes and gaps in my bully pan with various metal based products (copper scrubbers etc) only to find the beginning signs of "corrosion" a few weeks later.

I've been reading about aluminum tape and feel most comfortable using that. Is there a difference between aluminum duct tape and aluminum foil tape?

I've read here in the forums folks using aluminum "duct" tape.

Would someone be so kind as to give me some clarity and a recommendation.

Thanks.

I used Vulcam 600 sealer , worked great
goodcardio4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 02:54 PM   #35
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Littleton , Colorado
I used Vulcan sealer
goodcardio4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 06:10 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
Steel wool on the outside of a coach will get damp or wet. Damp steel wool can spontaneously combust. (Oxidation is exothermic, and when you have a lot of it in a small space, you can get lots of heat.) Steel wool burns vigorously, even when wet--so well that it's often recommended as an emergency fire starter.

Bottom line: don't use steel wool to plug holes on the outside of your rig. Bronze wool, maybe. But as others have suggested, I'd go with aluminum tape.
Paprika is offline   Reply With Quote