Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2009, 01:00 AM   #1
Airstream1661

2007 23' Safari SE
Johns Creek , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to mikenicholso Send a message via Yahoo to mikenicholso Send a message via Skype™ to mikenicholso
High Pitched Noise in 2007 23' Safari

I searched the forum and didn't find a hit, so I'll start a new thread.

I am just back from our first long trip (3000 miles to Maine and back). But during the trip the wife and kids really complained anytime the lights were turned on as they heard a high pitched noise. Being over 40 I heard nothing and was happy as a clam, but when Momma aint' happy my joy quickly fades as well.

I have the source traced down to the fuse panel next to the heater. But have NO idea why or what to do about it. As long as all the lights are off, we are fine, but once any of the lights are turned on, they tell me the noise starts.

Any suggestions would be most welcome, as I really do like having them along for the trips.

Mike
mikenicholso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
It is probably the cooling fan on the converter. It comes on as needed when the batteries are being charged so you should only notice in when on shore power. If it really comes on every time you turn on the lights and stays on the entire time, you might have some weak batteries. Normally the fan should cycle on and off.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:19 PM   #3
Airstream1661

2007 23' Safari SE
Johns Creek , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to mikenicholso Send a message via Yahoo to mikenicholso Send a message via Skype™ to mikenicholso
Unfortunately the fans works fine and the high frequency noise is not effected by it. The noise does not cycle with the on and off of the fan. But thanks for your feedback, I need help with this one.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
In an older SOB I had there was a noise, higher than the fan that was constant. It was a part that needed a nudge to make it stop, at least for a while. But I've never had that with my AS.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Some humming sounds can come from magnetic components on printed circuit boards, like transformers and toroid coils. Also, some capacitors may also vibrate or "sing".

You might try to make a stethiscope type device out of an empty paper towel tube or a piece of garden hose so that you can snoop around and locate the origin of the sound. If it is a printed circuit board (like on the converter or some other power supply), you may be able to stake down the heavier components (big heavy coils, transformers, etc.) on the board with hot melt glue.

Note: Be careful around converter and inverter PCBs, as they have 110 volts on them and can cause electrocution.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:14 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Your sure it's not the lights making the noise?
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:31 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Bad transformers or overloaded transformers make a humming noise. Try turning everything on and then turn each breaker off until you isolate the ckt making the noise. An open capacitor might be the problem as well. Do you have a multimeter?
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:36 PM   #8
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
my wizzard makes different pitch sounds based off load. Especially the overhead lights. Not sure why. I never noticed it when the converter was hidden in a cabinet, but now that I'm renovating ant it's out in the open, it's kinda noticeable. Not sure what to do, though. Good luck!

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:21 PM   #9
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I had a high pitch squeal from the Parallax 7355 converter when the cooling fan failed. It would overheat and go into some kind of protection mode, and at that point it made a very high frequency noise.

If you have the Parallax converter I strongly suspect it is the source of the noise. You may be able to get it replace under warranty. If not they aren't that hard to replace and cost a couple hundred.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:54 PM   #10
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
I suspect a converter going bad as well.

In my case, I chucked the Parallax 7355 for a Xantrex XADC.
-jd.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:22 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenicholso View Post
Unfortunately the fans works fine and the high frequency noise is not effected by it. The noise does not cycle with the on and off of the fan. But thanks for your feedback, I need help with this one.
You just have to start shutting things down one at a time and with the help of the younger ears to hear when it stops. It still may he the converter not necessarily the fans. Many thing can cause a high tone pitch, propane going to the orifice on the ice box, the propane regulator and son. Isolate the system then trace the offending system, propane, electrical, even the water system. Best of luck. Look for loose electrical connections, and grounding points also.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:29 PM   #12
Airstream1661

2007 23' Safari SE
Johns Creek , Georgia
Another clue

I should have mentioned that it stops when I flip off the circuit breaker to the lights.

The converter maybe going bad. But since I bought the 2007 trailer used this summer, I doubt there would be any warranty.

Since I can't hear it, and it keeps the kids out I may just wait for it to fail.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:50 PM   #13

2004 30' Classic
Fort Myers , Florida
You might have a bad ballast transformer for your lights!!. Try only turning on the incadescent lights for a sound check.
If the noise is associated with the florescence lights check the ballast to insure it is secure and away from any metal. If all is good then try to isolate the specific ballast by deduction.
I have a 2004 30 ft Classic and have been a fultimer for 7 years to date and have not experienced a light problem with my unit. However I have noticed the florescence operating responding differently when I am off shore power.

Do you think the frequency would work for Mother-in-Laws?? Hummmmm.

Good Luck

Mike
AnnieMae2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:24 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Stoney Creek , Ontario
Most coverters now use a switching power supply cct which uses high frequency (rather than the older 60hz hum from traditional power supplies). We used to find the offending coil (be careful - high voltages) by tapping with a plastic alignment rod and then use laquer or nail polish to fix the loose wires to stop the oscillation. If it's not under warranty you may want to get the unit replaced anyway (eventually the coil will fail from fatigue). Switching ccts are load dependant which is why you don't have a problem without the lights.

Good luck!
astewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:10 PM   #15
Airstream1661

2007 23' Safari SE
Johns Creek , Georgia
Thanks for the input

Thanks all for the continued review and suggestions. I will post when I am able to take some action to future investigate and resolve.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:22 AM   #16
Airstream1661

2007 23' Safari SE
Johns Creek , Georgia
Smile Problem Solved - Thanks All

Thanks to everyone who responded! The problem has been resolved.... It was the converter so a tip of the hat to those suggested it. I replaced the stock Parallax 7355 with a Progressive Dynamics Inteli-Power PD4655 with the included DC distribution board all from Industrial Communication Solutions - B&B Electronics. The installation was a cinch, with one little gotcha. The amount of main line wire would not reach the new positions of the terminals. Then I realized there was plenty of length once I looked behind the converter via the water pump cabinet door. loosening the wire clap and sliding some additional wire was all that was required. Now I have a multi-stage charging system and a very quiet camper. Wife and kids are very pleased, so thanks again to all - Mike
Old 01-19-2010, 11:44 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Sounds like a good fix - congrats on getting it done ... nice to have helpful hints from those who know what they're talking about, and on these Forums there is a lot of "been there, done that" sort of advice that is incredibly useful.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:50 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
I thought for a minute there the "high -pitched whine" could be coming from the wife & kids and was wondering if you had tried removing them! But it sounds like you got it fixed!
FLYNCLD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
halogen, high pitch, lights, noise