Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2022, 09:52 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2014 30' International
Dartmouth , Nova Scotia
Hensley

Hi folks,
Looking for feedback. We have purchased our third Airstream and this latest one came with a Hensley Hitch. We have been told that these are quality units. Would you you recommend purchasing a new life time warranty which Hensley graciously offer on used hitches? Or are these hitches basically tanks, with very little chance of an issue?
Thanks in advance.
Brenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 11:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
We have used our Hensley Hitch since buying it new in 2002 and have always been completely happy with its function. In other words, I think you have a good piece of equipment. As for the lifetime warranty, we never thought we would have to take advantage of it. A couple of year ago, we had an accident which damaged the hitch. Hensley, under the lifetime warranty, replaced the hitch at no charge. All we had to pay was for shipping to us and shipping the damaged hitch back to Hensley. The replacement unit is a refurbished one, but it looks like new.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 12:06 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2014 30' International
Dartmouth , Nova Scotia
Many thanks Tim, appreciate the feedback.
Old 01-19-2022, 02:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
High quality product, with a company who stands behind it. In order to use my trailer Valet with my Hensley, it requires me to place a pin in the hitch to lock it. Hensley warned me to make sure I remove the pin prior to towing. Well…I forgot to remove the pin and twisted my Hensley into a pretzel. I called Hensley for help, they warrantied the parts and had me back up and running in two days. That was user error and a warranty typically wouldn’t cover an event like this! Great service!!! …fantastic!!!
Old 01-19-2022, 02:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Another thing the warranty covers is changing the stinger if you need a different drop when you get a new TV, you just pay shipping. Just make sure you have the serial number, someone posted they lost the serial number plate and voided warranty.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 09:57 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2014 30' International
Dartmouth , Nova Scotia
Thank you Stewart and Wazbro, much appreciated.
Old 03-25-2022, 08:44 PM   #7

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Enterprise , Alabama
My Hensley works well

I have used my Hensley for 7 years and I am very satisfied. I pull an Airstream 30RB with an F350 diesel. There is zero tail wag. I can drive comfortably at 75mph with no white knuckles. I also have a tall 16x8.5 ft enclosed trailer without a Hensley. It is half the Airstream length, but it is not as stable in a cross wind or when passing an 18-wheeler.

With a little practice, hooking up is easier than with a ball hitch, particularly if you:

(1) Download the manual https://hensleymfg.com/user-manual-downloads
(2) Read it,
(3) Paint the square end of the Hensley receiver with a white paint,
(4) Mount a back-up camera on the truck bumper or license plate over the hitch, and
(5) Squirt some lube in the hitch receiver

To help you drive safely, adjust the trailer brake controller power until the trailer brakes almost lock up with hard braking. That will keep the hitch lined up properly.
Barclay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 06:13 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' International
Austin , Texas
I have the Hensley as well. My TV is 2020 F250 and I pull a 30’ International 2019. We now have over 15,000 miles with no white knuckle driving situations. This hitch is rock solid and one of our number 1 safety driving safely needs. Hensley support has been outstanding. As someone mentioned earlier I did have a need to change the stinger for a different one, as I moved from an F150 to my current F250 and all I had to do was pay for shipping. So my take is yes, go for the warranty.

Happy Airstream’ing!

Brian
Powerrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 08:07 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Hensley

Hensley replaced without question one of my jacks, received it UPS within several days. Only paid for return postage. I purchased new, but purchasing the warranty, you would be afforded the same service. There are several components that can get bent and are due to operator error, yes..still covered as I have read on this forum.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote