Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2021, 11:22 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
Helpless Male Airstream Owners... wake up

Some guys just frustrate the hell out of me. Their idea of Common Sense is not very common. It is just taking a Bad Situation and making it... WORSE.

Sons have their Fathers.

Daughters have their mothers... to teach them how the World Rotates and Seasons Change.

Fathers teach their sons about Sports. How to put gasoline into the Family vehicle when out for a Saturday night. What football or baseball game is on television. You know... guy things.

Mothers teach their Sons about getting under the SINK and fix the garbage disposal. Add some galvanized nails to the outside DECK. Help buy groceries.

My parents depended on ME to fix everything. I had a hammer and a screw driver... to use. I was 12.

... but I learned to fix everything. Not necessarily right... but it worked. You learn not from being perfect, but from making... mistakes. Lots of them.

For Christmas I was given... tools. Electrical and tool sets. Hmmmm. Getting the picture? My brother got an electric guitar. I got a Battery Operated Drill and Tool set in a carrying case.

Both Mr. and Mrs. Airstream Owners need to work on their Airstream, together. It is team work. One keeps their mouth shut and the other gets the work done. Kind of team work. OK? Feeling a bit flustered? You ought to be. You have a Home on Axles that is constantly taking everything... apart. What does not come apart might, when you least expect it. Like, a flat tire and you planned to be... GONE four hours ago.

Nancy can fix most anything as we are a TEAM. One to hold... and myself to mutter obscenities to myself WHY Airstream did something the way they did. ...and Airstream did not do it. Some company they purchased the cabinets and appliances passed the... BUCK along... to YOU. We use to say SUCKER... but that is the Neanderthal in me that always comes around at the least appropriate time.

Get yourself a Tool set of Sockets and accessories. Get a Battery Operated screw driver with an assortment of philips and straight edge bits. Get a box of 1/2 inch, 3/4 inch and 1 inch Lath Screws. The sharp end goes into the wood... OK? I am resisting being Mr. Neanderthal, but closer to being a Human Bean.

Sons whose Mothers taught them are the best husbands around. Their wife will then whip their A$$ into shape in a month. They will live happily every after.

If not... well, get yourself a better set of tools and go for it a second time. Have two, maybe three Batteries for your Power Drill. Beats using the one with a handle... the pointy end goes into the screw... Get with it. Didn't you learn anything in the two to three years in the Military?

You may know every sport team member by name and number. It will not be long after you purchase your Airstream, you will know what length of Lath Screw to fix the 'booger' forever. If not... that is what the Hammer is for. Then replace the entire cabinet with something your Wife likes better. The End.
Old 10-14-2021, 11:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Stream of consciousness?
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 11:36 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
Stream of Consciousness- Noun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
Stream of consciousness?
Dictionary on Internet abbreviated definition:

In literary criticism, stream of consciousness is a narrative mode or method that attempts "to depict the multitudinous thoughts and feelings which pass through the mind" of a narrator. The term was coined by Alexander Bain in 1855 in the first edition of The Senses and the Intellect, when he wrote, "The concurrence of Sensations in one common stream of consciousness (on the same cerebral highway) enables those of different senses to be associated as readily as the sensations of the same sense"
Old 10-14-2021, 11:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
Lumber Jacks and your Black Water Tank

Often... the Toilet and Black Water Tank get out of control. Often it is the user... out of control. Maybe 'bad chicken' from the remote all you can eat at Slim's Chicken Ranch and Barn?

It is not as if the Trailer did it? You did... Figure that one out. Your trailer provides the options... not the contents.

Those slinky extended hoses to a septic system at a Full Service campsite... do you actually believe that the ripples do not resist and hold back special materials for YOU? I have see some that needed a HIGHWAY BRIDGE support Engineering Degree to set up... but their Blackwater tank shows 0% on the wall meter... yet it is FULL. Not fresh air, to be sure.

Now you have a screw driver and an electric tooth brush as tools. You need a High Pressure Hose connected to fresh water, the ten foot slinky stinky... step up the Black Hole of the Toilet, turn off the fresh water pressure, put your foot onto the Peddle and Hose It like your life depends on it. YOU jammed it up. You can unjam it. It is like a Lumber Jack on a River. No water... the logs do not float down stream.

OK. You are Mr. Lumber Jack. You are providing the RIVER. It is down stream. You have a Log Jam. ...and you blame Airstream?

This is a common problem to sedentary campers that think the OUTHOUSE is dirty, full of germs and diseased fungi and bacteria from someone ELSE. You, former friend... are that 'someone else' to someone.

Just use their facility. Your body is not too fragile if you are under 90 years old. I am a bit over 96,450 years and still fully functional. Out of Warranty... but limping along.

Think Lumber Jack. OK. Your life will improve. Wash up afterwards and do not look into the outside drain of your trailer. When the Dam Breaks... you will be part of it.
Old 10-14-2021, 12:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
Ever thought of about writing a book?

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 12:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
Title of My Book: What Does This Screw Fit?

When I write my book... I will make CERTAIN that my Airstream Warranty has expired, I have a 100% operating trailer, do not need to purchase any parts that require an exact Serial Number of the trailer, or maybe close enough serial number and year or decade manufactured.

Considering all of the appliances are already out of warranty, other than the tires I purchased after selling the 15 inch Goodyears... there is not much else to consider. I could haul firewood in the trailer so my F350 with shell remain in perfect condition...

I have the Warranty booklet. It covers... well not anything that I own. But has lots of disclaimers, and missing items... like those that may need work. Often after the warranty.

My chances of having warranty work done at this moment in my life at Airstream... is about like my needing an Accountant to figure out what I owe after winning the Power Ball.
Old 10-14-2021, 12:36 PM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There are an amazing number of "systems" on an RV. As time rolls on, those systems evolve a bit. What you got 20 years ago is not always what you get today. Yes, it would be wonderful if progress simply stopped and nothing ever changed. Then we could all be up to date on everything. We all knew how to repair this stuff back in the 1940's didn't we? ..... hmmm...... flash back to various chats with the grandparents ... not so much. They had every bit as much trouble with this and that "back in the day".

What they didn't have back in the day was YouTube. Need to rebuild the whooziss on your 1967 whatever? There's a video on that. They didn't have Facebook groups. Ask a question and if it's not answered in 23 seconds, ask it again ... and again ... and again ... and again. They didn't have Mr Google, they needed to look things up. They also didn't have forums with threads rehashing every question that could ever be asked at least a hundred times.

Think paper manuals were better? How many manuals have you used? Better yet, how many have you written? There's no such thing as a complete manual. Never has been, never will be. It simply is not possible to do such a thing.

At some point you have to accept the fact that "dive in" is the only way to solve this or that problem. Sitting there thinking of all the possible disasters that could happen is not getting anything fixed. Yes a meteor could strike while you are unscrewing that access panel. Worrying about it isn't moving the repair forward.

Will you always do the fastest and most cost effective repair? Nope. You will waste a dollar or two here and there. You will spend 10 minutes on this or that. Investing a month of your time doing "research" also has a cost. The local MacDonalds would be happy to pay you for those 190 hours of effort.

Is there one and only one solution to a real world problem? Unless it's artificially constrained, nope. Trying to find "the way" it's done is a waste unless you are doing the task a few million times a month. Find a way and get it done. Process perfection is the enemy here. Manage an engineering department for a few decades if you have any doubts about this ....

Is a campfire a fun place to gather? For most of us it is. Are stories part of that process? They always have been. Do stories seem to get "improved" as they are retold? Every one I know of has. They are way more entertaining the longer the improvement process goes on. Don't mistake the contents of a campfire tale for reality. Laugh along and enjoy the entertainment. When you go to do that repair, accept that a meteor probably didn't hit the guy at the campfire when he did the same task ....

Safety is a good thing. There are basics you need to understand when doing just about anything. Do not confuse safety with the repair process. Understand how to "safe out" the various systems on your RV (.... home .... car ... truck .... boat ....). This is true regardless of your doing repairs or not. Understand that a leaking propane line *is* something that needs to be addressed. This is *not* in the same category as that meteor ....

Dive in and fix it !!!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 12:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 23' International
Evergreen , Colorado
I wonder what percentage of 20 somethings would need a YouTube video to change a tire...

2020 International Serenity 23 FB "Sparkle Plenty"
2018 GMC Denali 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Airstream Club International #2805
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 12:55 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
Meteorites sell by the GRAM, Trailers by the TON

I would be more than satisfied to have a Stony or a Metallic Meteorite to be attracted to my Airstream. Not while we are in it... but nearby to witness a real disaster... and on Video, while I was checking lug nuts.

The last thing I remember would be checking the lug nuts and I had the entire Axle all by itself. Me under it.

Better: A four pound Chunk of Mars... Goodbye Airstream. The Smithsonian will pay handsome for the Meteorite and ask me to sell the parts off our 2016 International or to a Carnaval to See the Mars Impacted Trailer, on display.

In Fifty Years, chunks of Mars could be bought on EBay. Cheap. Airstreams for the Rare High Grade Aluminum cooking wares. Two Buck Rivet handles.

Do not have to go to the North or South Poles to find an Airstream... but meteorites are easier to spot in the white.

Silver metallic pieces on the snow... ho hummm.

Costco. You have a problem with a product. Haul it in and they give you a Refund plus the Sales Tax. We shop for everything at Costco... first.

Airstream. You have a problem with something? Was your Airstream ever on Warranty? Are you the Original Owner?

I think so.

Why do you say your have a problem?

Yes I have a problem. It might be under Warranty.

What is that?

You know... warranty.

You still have a problem?

Yes. I do now.

Sorry. Not covered.

What is not covered?

Whatever your problem may be.

I do not have the problem... the Airstream has a problem.

Excuse me?

...story truncated due to a lack of imagination. Constipated humor needs to be managed when you are Out of Warranty.
Old 10-14-2021, 01:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
Dennis... they need the video to reinstall the Tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
I wonder what percentage of 20 somethings would need a YouTube video to change a tire...
Dennis.

They cannot operate a jack. Nothing on their Cell Phone how to operate it. They call Service on the Cell Phone.

They need Jack.

Sorry Jack is out right now.

OK. I will call back.
Old 10-14-2021, 01:20 PM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Sorry to blow the story line, there are "20 somethings" that can out repair me when doing this or that repair. They *definitely* would win a tire change race. Just depends on how they grew up and what they got interested in.

Bob
Old 10-14-2021, 01:21 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2020 23' International
Evergreen , Colorado
I think you're right.

I didn't let my sons fall into this category. I made them learn how to drive a car with a manual transmission. It was the only car that we let them drive as teenagers, so they learned quickly. I made them change a tire for me and show that they could do it.

It's hard sometimes to get by in life without some basic skills...

Old 10-14-2021, 01:41 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Outlived Your Time

Bean,

Never forget in today’s world a few rules that are now in place, and most likely will not change anytime soon, if not get worst.

1. Planned Obsolescence
2. We Replace, Not Repair
3. Divorce Rate around 50%
4. Roughly 40% of children are born out of wedlock

So, what does that mean?

Only 30% of the children born today will grow-up in a family where the parents stay together over their lifetime. For many of those families, if it’s much more than changing a lightbulb, they need to call the local handyman/woman to fix the issue and even the handyman/woman will “replace” not “repair” the crap that is made to break every 3-5 years. Add to that, it seems we are seeing more and more folks that have “One Experience for 20 Years vs 20 Years of Experience”.

An old guy once told me that he had “Out lived his time and that someday, I too would outlive mine”. When asked what he meant? His reply “One day I woke up, did not understand the music, dress, vocabulary, products, etc... that’s when I knew, that I had outlived my time”.

My guess Bean, maybe you to have “Outlived your time”.

Good Luck,
Old 10-14-2021, 02:07 PM   #14
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
I didn't let my sons fall into this category. I made them learn how to drive a car with a manual transmission. It was the only car that we let them drive as teenagers, so they learned quickly. I made them change a tire for me and show that they could do it.

It's hard sometimes to get by in life without some basic skills...
This isn't about sons, it is about children IMO. We taught our daughters how to drive a manual transmission and required they take their tests on one. We helped them buy cars, but only if they had a manual. Future vehicles, they could decide. Changing a tire was part of the education. So was helping me do twice yearly car servicing/oil changes, so they could find their way around under the hood. When they got their own places, they both had toolkits for small repairs.

Ray has described boys playing sports, and girls spending time with their mothers. Best not to perpetuate stereotypes IMO.
jcl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 02:16 PM   #15
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
This isn't about sons, it is about children IMO. We taught our daughters how to drive a manual transmission and required they take their tests on one. ........
Hi

I can point you to many YouTube channels with gals diving in and doing stuff that I would not attempt. My guess is that you dentures would not survive calling most of them "helpless" ... just a guess ....

For a number of years we did an engineering competition for high school kids. Typically our team at least won the state and it often did very well in the finals. The team *always* depended on the gals to make it all happen.

Yes, I could go on ....

Bob
Old 10-14-2021, 02:58 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2020 23' International
Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
This isn't about sons, it is about children IMO. We taught our daughters how to drive a manual transmission and required they take their tests on one. We helped them buy cars, but only if they had a manual. Future vehicles, they could decide. Changing a tire was part of the education. So was helping me do twice yearly car servicing/oil changes, so they could find their way around under the hood. When they got their own places, they both had toolkits for small repairs.

Ray has described boys playing sports, and girls spending time with their mothers. Best not to perpetuate stereotypes IMO.
Excellent point!

Old 10-14-2021, 03:57 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Elbert , CO
Both of our daughters learned to drive in old VW bugs w/ manual transmissions. Our thinking was this was driving at its most basic and they would soon learn many valuable lessons like shifting, push starting, jumping, checking and changing oil and tires (not to mention fire extinguisher operation!). They actually had to show boy friends how to do things like change oil.
Part of being a parent is preparing your kids to survive. Of course, most of these skills are lost arts now.
djb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 04:27 PM   #18
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Atacama desert, just north of Antofagasta. Our youngest daughter, 10 at the time, in 1999. She had the owner's manual out and wanted to follow along to understand the process.

If only the local dealer had been that organized, and had thought to bring in stock of that size of tire when they imported the first Expeditions to northern Chile.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00008.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	241.4 KB
ID:	406273  
jcl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 05:26 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
Ray has described boys playing sports, and girls spending time with their mothers. Be

I was a fantastic Baseball Pitcher and Short Stop and Left Field. Batted Fourth in the line up. Three years. Could have had a full ride at a University... but I wanted to be a Geologist. Sports was fun... but Rocks were better.

Manager of the KC ROYALS offered me his free seats behind the Catcher... but it just was not for me. Thank you...

I taught the youngest daughter How to THINK SOFTBALL. She Pitched so hard I needed to pad my Catcher's mit. She was also Catcher, so she could toss a runner going from First to Second. She Played First as a relief for Pitcher, Catcher or First Base. Left Handed... which was an odd Catcher at the time. Scary as a pitcher...

She could swing a bat. She had a Full Ride Scholarship at the University of Missouri. Four years getting an education. Then getting a PA degree in Cardiac Surgery (something like that with the Heart). She was the jock. Her mother was smart.

The older daughter owns her own business using Computer Technology and writing Software and whatever else she puts her mind to. Travels the world and gets paid.

Guys I knew in College were Horsing around. Raising hell. No time to study... but hitting the Bars. Playing Poker at night, chewing tobacco and spitting into soda bottles... I was exhausted and sleeping. A degree in History? Unemployed.

This is not a random stereotype of males. Look around, open your eyes. My daughters do everything. My brother's Son... skate boarding in his late 20's and does videos.... Some day he may find a job.

Stereotypes? I take it as an insult, which it was intended. I work for myself. Why? Because my Bosses could not run a Bake Sale. My Daughters, could.

I can make up an article in less time most spend time in a Restroom. Not a stereotype... but you reap what you sow, says the hard working rancher or farmer. He knows.
Old 10-14-2021, 06:00 PM   #20
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I taught myself just about everything I know about repairing stuff. But my father taught me how to think so I could figure out stuff. Then I taught him how to fix things. Anyone who has an RV should know how to fix things.

Every trip, something needs fixing. I just fixed the bathroom sink drain. The guy who installed it put about ten times more plumbers putty on the drain than necessary to seal it, so it created a putty barrier that could and eventually did leak. That guy belonged to the school of thought that if something works well, use more. Bad school of thought.

I have installed 4 or 5 garbage disposals and I didn't have to get "under" the sink (see post 1). Well, my hands did, but I just crossed my legs in front of the cabinet and removed a dead one and installed another. Since I have had septic systems for 30+ years, I never use the disposal except to check it because more stuff in the septic tank means more pumping which costs more than taking food scraps to the dump. But people expect garbage disposals when I sell the house, so I put them in or replace old ones.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote