Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-19-2021, 10:48 AM   #81
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
Thank you to anyone who ever mentioned anything about what should be done to help. We've had our share of bystanders who've reached out and while you can say "thank you" it is never enough -even if you don't immediately do what was recommended.

Currently there are so many new RVers that you can find scary novice mistakes at every turn.

Last weekend we watched some folks light their fire (in an area with outlawed campfires) under their shade tent. We gave a bit of advice -"if it says "no fires" understand the penalty is $500.00 if they catch you...if your shade structure catches on fire...they are going to catch you!". We just got blank stares. Alright, I must admit my husband watched them like a hawk and had a hose at the ready.

Luckily for them, the shade structure just developed holes from the sparks of the fire and they decided to put the fire out a while later, after the visit from the Park Ranger who apparently had a more compelling argument for putting the fire out - that $500.00 fine.
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 07:01 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwebs View Post
Currently there are so many new RVers that you can find scary novice mistakes at every turn.

Last weekend we watched some folks light their fire (in an area with outlawed campfires) under their shade tent. We gave a bit of advice -"if it says "no fires" understand the penalty is $500.00 if they catch you...if your shade structure catches on fire...they are going to catch you!". We just got wblank stares. Alright, I must admit my husband watched them like a hawk and had a hose at the ready.

Luckily for them, the shade structure just developed holes from the sparks of the fire and they decided to put the fire out a while later, after the visit from the Park Ranger who apparently had a more compelling argument for putting the fire out - that $500.00 fine.
This is not a mistake due to a new or novice RV-er. This is someone who happens to be dumber than dirt in everything they do. Plenty of new RV-ers know to follow the signs and don’t start a fire under something flammable.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 08:35 PM   #83
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungus View Post
This is not a mistake due to a new or novice RV-er. This is someone who happens to be dumber than dirt in everything they do. Plenty of new RV-ers know to follow the signs and don’t start a fire under something flammable.
Their parents probably used a hibachi in their apartment.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 07:55 AM   #84
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Down Coats, Nylon and Campfire Sparks

Those who wear nylon down filled coats in the Winter... standing around a blazing wood fire in the snow and warming their backsides... be aware.

Your nylon and hot sparks coming off the wood fire will burn holes in your expensive coat.

Evenly distributed among Male and Female campfire hosts. The larger their back sides, the better distribution. Holier than thou? Maybe...
Old 10-20-2021, 08:05 AM   #85
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Grey Water.... Loves... Camper Hot Coals left

Not often, but frequent enough, we encounter a campfire ring with insulated hot coals. We Off the Grid Boondock among the Tent Campers. Suffer along with them as we recall our tent camping days with two Blue Heelers.

Those that know, water the coals, turn them over to... dead. Some actually dig out these black remnants and move them out of the fire pit. Obviously you cannot take the coals home...

We are more than generous with Grey Water. We wash dishes in a plastic pan in the sink and can dump it into a fire pit. Hot coals... or not. It is sterile. The coals, that is. We can take the wash pan out and toss it into a bush... that looks thirsty.

Homes use to drain their sinks out of the kitchen through a pipe that went right into the yard. Greenest grass and needed to be trimmed more often.

Next time you are out traveling, be smart about Grey Water.

Trailer cleaning? Ward Chandler of Ward@AirstreamHunter.com shows that trailer cleaning is more of an issue than grey water. Photo included...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ab26691a-b423-4a30-a4fa-9067672117ed_exhkqh.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	406664  
Old 10-20-2021, 08:47 AM   #86
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Those who wear nylon down filled coats in the Winter... standing around a blazing wood fire in the snow and warming their backsides... be aware.

Your nylon and hot sparks coming off the wood fire will burn holes in your expensive coat.

Evenly distributed among Male and Female campfire hosts. The larger their back sides, the better distribution. Holier than thou? Maybe...
Hi

There are a lot of jackets these days that have plastic outer shells. None of them are very happy with sparks. Stretch jeans ... same thing. Even cotton is not going to look great after catching a shower of sparks. Tents, awnings, tarps, camp chairs .... all in the same category.

Think the tent is far enough away at 5 feet ... good luck. How about 10 feet? probably not. Somewhere out around 20 to 30 feet gets into the "likely ok" zone if it's downwind of a typical campfire. If "bondfire" is a better descriptor for your blaze, 30 feet is way to close ...

Figure out which way the wind blows *before* you light up that fire. If in doubt, don't light it up..... . Does the wind ever shift where you are camping? .... just asking ... .... is the water bucket full? ... hmmm ....

I have ( and like ) a couple of the metal "portable fire ring" gizmos. SoloStove is one of many brands. Many are advertised as ( and do have ) a screen on them to catch burning debris / sparks. All the ones I've seen don't do much for sparks. Giant chunks of wood lifting off and flying through the air ... they would stop that.

Regardless of what you are using, pay attention to what's going on.

Stay safe.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 10:30 AM   #87
3 Rivet Member

2021 19' Caravel
Wilderness , MO
What is a manual transmission?
jfreeham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 11:14 AM   #88
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Manual Transmission in Missouri... Seasonal

I lived in Independence, Grandview and Lees Summit, Missouri. I began to believe my parents were on America's Most Wanted. For what? I do not know. Sure was not for stealing money. Never did see us on the Series... maybe a mistake?

In Missouri Stick Shifts were optional. It was important when your battery had been stolen from an Airstream and was deader than the woodpecker stuck in your pickup grill.

January was as Cold as Chicago in Spring. Dead Battery. Five degrees Below my freezing temperature with a K C Chiefs Tee Shirt and sweat pants to push the Vehicle up the hill... to help get it started by... pushing it DOWN the Hill and trying to decide "Do I put it into FIRST, Second... or third gear and POP the Clutch?

I did have to Jump Back Into the vehicle, while moving. Great gymnastic abilities.

If first gear is too low... go to second. It worked above 30 degrees F. If below 30 degrees F, go to 3rd. That is now three of the four possible combinations, but first is already exempt.

After the first attempt, the four, maybe up to eight cylinders have fuel for the spark plugs to ignite.

Push back up the hill, make sure your door is unlocked as you need to jump in, hit the brakes... and repeat. The second try was always... iffy.

This is a lesson in Missouri Transmissions and how to operate them. Sometimes it is best... to buy a new battery.

To save on fuel for better mileage. When going down a Hill... put it into neutral and when traffic is backing up behind you, skip first and second gears... go to third. You do not want to be Rear Ended, do you?

Spraying whatever they sold to spray into the carburetor could curl your hair in a small ball of flame. Yep... that is if your battery was a Die Hard, but mostly Died.

Yeah... I was a Helpless Male with Tow Vehicle possibilities. I am amazed I lived this long. Today is my Birthday. Nancy reminds me with a card... and baking me a big chocolate cake.

Whooo Hooo for me. Twenty one candles is enough. Do not want to catch on fire.
Old 10-20-2021, 11:44 AM   #89
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfreeham View Post
What is a manual transmission?
Manual transmission - an epidemiological term for the spreading of a disease through hand-to-hand contact.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 01:02 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Wonderful Women with Border Line Helpless Males

I finally see some Humor squeezing out of the cheese sandwich. That is good. The humor. The cheese sandwich was under the Trailer's seat cushion. No Fungus. Give it another week or two...

From my limited experience of associating with Airstream personalities, I met some Women that were confident, knew what they were doing and took care of themselves and Airstream on the road.

Those I recall from 2016:

Danielle, Jan, Jen, Jo, Maggie, Nancy, Susan...

It is a credit to the Human Bean species and to all Airstream Women. Teaching Males to be patient, be understanding and WHY they are lost can try the most patient souls.

Not because a woman is driving. The map he is using is for Oregon and they have been in Wyoming for two days. Women are smart. Males think they are on Tuesdays and Even Days, if an odd day falls on either side.

Myself... I am smiling. I know a good thing. Some... need to use the right map.