Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-23-2012, 05:17 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Blown Tire

Hi all, am in Bishop Ca. The tire was probably damaged in Kerrville Tx, came too close to a curb. But did go 1400 miles before it blew coming through Mohave Corning through the mountain when a car next to me held a sign up saving you have a flat. Was going 65 never felt it. When finally stopped, well you see the pictures of what was left. Using Goodyear spare tire under the front. Looks new and working well but if anyone has info on a 6 yr old spare condition still new may want to know. Bigger problem is the electrical harness destroyed, wires were shredded. This is behind the bathroom on my 25' Safari. Behind the wheel well. The impact cut through the plastic pulling the harness into the tire. Must be about 3' of extra cabling behind there. Current electrical conditions noted above and haven't yet tried to connect AC or if I should. Any thoughts on that please. Appears all problems 12 v right now. Will look over above posts.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:22 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Blown Tire

Hi all, am in Bishop Ca. The tire was probably damaged in Kerrville Tx, came too close to a curb. But did go 1400 miles before it blew coming through Mohave Corning through the mountain when a car next to me held a sign up saving you have a flat. Was going 65 never felt it. When finally stopped, well you see the pictures of what was left. Using Goodyear spare tire under the front. Looks new and working well but if anyone has info on a 6 yr old spare condition still new may want to know. Bigger problem is the electrical harness destroyed, wires were shredded. This is behind the bathroom on my 25' Safari. Behind the wheel well. The impact cut through the plastic pulling the harness into the tire. Must be about 3' of extra cabling behind there. Current electrical conditions noted above and haven't yet tried to connect AC or if I should. Any thoughts on that please. Appears all problems 12 v right now. Will look over above posts.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:36 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Rich, your converter is in front, under bed right? A/C and 120V should be fine. Kill power to other 120V circuits if you want to play safe Don't replace blown fuses, obviously. Looks like power to rear of trailer is severed, should get a clue to wiring colors for lights by looking at wiring harness that come into trailer with breakers. Should be under bed. Can also pull a rear tail light or two to note wire color.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:25 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lake Charles , Louisiana
I only mentioned the tire because the person may have actually been in a situation to have a claim. We experienced a GYM blowout last year and even though I was in the process of filing a claim with my insurance the local GY dealer asked me if I wanted to file a claim also with Goodyear. We did. And long story short the tire was found to be faulty and GY paid our $7k in damages. I did not have to file on my insurance. It appears this tire was damaged by a curb hit. Our tire was properly inflated, good thread and running at a normal speed when it chose to fail. I wish RichHog luck in getting their repairs done.
Steve & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:43 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Update to Electrical Situation / Blown Tire

So I did some checking on wiring at the convertor and used my new voltmeter to check for voltage on the plugs. Replaced the blown fuses with new while both plugs weren't connected. They held meaning all wires leading to the black plug were good, no shorts. But what was strange was that some wires had no voltage. On the clear mangled plug I found 3 wires with 12V coming from that. Direction. Note that voltmeter ground black wire plugged into the above 120v outlet. I am not plugged into any 120v service. Used red lead to check each wire. I have carefully documented findings from the convertor's label of colors to the plugs. I thought that by connecting the plugs back together those wires with 12v then connecting to the other plugs wires with 0 volts tha a circuit would come back to life. What happened is the purple wires blew that fuse. The purple wire (single wire) must go to some block that splits it off into 3 wires. Same with the yellow. One wire leaves the Dc convertor and becomes 2 at the plug.
I then took the grey wire from the clear plug (knowing it was hot w 12v) and tried plugging it into the ones in the black plug with 0 volts. The white one sparked but didn't blow fuse. The other ones had no results. The thinking was to place 12. Volts to the other side to make a circuit work. Now I'm clueless. Will post codes in next thread.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:49 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Wire colors etc

Airstream 06 Safari FB
Black plug l to r
Purple. * * * * * *12volts
Purple. * * * * * * *12Volts
Yellow *next to black connector 12Volts
Yellow opposite side. 0 Volts
Purple/white stripe. * * * * * *Bad. No voltage. *0 volts. * * *
White. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Bad no voltage. *0 volts

Clear plug
White. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 0 volts
Dark Blue. * * * * * * * * * * * * 0 Volts
Blue. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 12Volts
Blue. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *12 Volts
Grey. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *12Volts

Fuse block in "06 All fuses were replaced and circuits sending 12v

1. *purple. Blown fuse. * 20A. *Compt Lts-Bedroom *Lts Bath fan
2. Yellow blown fuse. 20A. Locker Lts- Exterior Lt
3. Red. *20A Water Pump. Range Hood Refer Light. *Good All Working
4.brown. *20A. TV Jacks
5. Blue. 20A. Bath Lts. *Ceiling Fan/Lt. * * * * * Bad not working
6. Cherry Red. 20A. *Furnace. No lights on Dometic furnaceac controller display
7. Black 20A. Subwoofer. Bad not working
8. Grey 20A. Radio-Frt Locker Lts. * * * * * *Bad. Not working

A Converter output. Circuits 1-9. VDC Positive Load Circuits--
Higher than 20A
Old 07-25-2012, 07:31 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
rich, i'd try working with the factory on this one. maybe thay can fax or overnight the diagrams you need.

that "extra" 3 feet of wire you noted pinched some wires somewhere. you might be able to patch a 'jumper' to bypass the bad area. a trailer cable with 7 conductors might work. you can buy this by the foot. if all you really need to get by is the fan, disconnect them from the trailer wiring and run a fused jumper.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:39 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Rich, I was afraid of some dead wires when, If I understood right, that there was about 3' of "extra" length of the hanging wires.

I am afraid that means that the harness has been pulled and some of the wires my have broken strands in them, or broke completely somewhere upstream of the wheel well.

I think I would run temporary wiring under the AS to complete your travels and make sure the insurance company is aware that the harness needs complete replacement due to stretching, when the time comes for permanent repair.

If I didn't understand correctly, I appologize.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:11 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Still no power

So we're in Lake Tahoe now for a few days so hope to do further troubleshooting. Was told to create a jumper wire to run from wire end of inverter to other end of wire in harness to test for continuity. This can tell me if the individual wires are good.

No one has posted any actual wiring diagrams of this run so it looks like a call to the Mothership may be required. So far all efforts and voltage checks and plugging things end have yielded no results.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:26 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Would your trailer insurance pay for this at a shop?
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:29 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog View Post
So we're in Lake Tahoe now for a few days so hope to do further troubleshooting. Was told to create a jumper wire to run from wire end of inverter to other end of wire in harness to test for continuity. This can tell me if the individual wires are good.

No one has posted any actual wiring diagrams of this run so it looks like a call to the Mothership may be required. So far all efforts and voltage checks and plugging things end have yielded no results.
Presume you don't have your owers manual with you. Found the 2005 manual online and it has the wiring diagrams in it. The scanned copy is difficult to read online...

http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&ta...w=1365&bih=804
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:25 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
[QUOTE=Ganglin;1179169]Presume you don't have your owers manual with you. Found the 2005 manual online and it has the wiring diagrams in it. The scanned copy is difficult to read online...
/QUOTE]

If I recall, the 2006 manual Airstream had listed on their site didn't have any wiring diagrams. It would be odd, but maybe they changed up the schematics significantly between 05 and 06. I linked to the 05 diagrams about 3 days ago with no results, so I just assumed they were different. Then, after Rich posted the colors and locations of the wires, I took a look at the diagrams, and they seem to be same, or very similar. And, you're right about the quality of the PDF. It's barely readable unless you zoom in a lot.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:32 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Page 119 mentions wire colors and their purpose. This may be Rich's hope to fixing and getting some liveable time in the trailer.

Steve
Old 07-26-2012, 11:03 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
A run to Reno today got 2 new Interstate Batteries and a new tire. The manager at Discount Tire looked at my shredded mess and said "well we can't plug that".
Have just moved to the cabin on Lake Tahoe and plugged in to AC with no issues. RV dealer said the 2 connectors were only available through Airstream. Hope to have some time tomorrow to try p
Other options.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:16 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Went through the owners manual and there's no diagrams in it. Tonight's the closest time I've had to normal on the trip as I now have a spare tire again, two new Interstate batteries but with Shore power the TV works, 12 volt antennae dist amp works and can charge my devices. Hot water heater works but still no AC or furnace. And the over the sink light works and one Halogen side light in the bedroom. Now if I can just figure out this harness issues.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:34 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Ceiling Harness

Page 130 seems to be the closest clue yet but is difficult to read. It is labeled as a Ceiling Harness. Considering that all overhead lighting is out with a few exceptions that makes sense. DVD amp overheade. Don't know about furnace line though.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Electrical Ceiling Harness update

Have to compliment Airstream Service Dept. for getting back to me quickly today in about an hour. Guy there helpful and was able to work with me as I read out the wire colors and connectors of the harness. That's the good news. Bad news is that both of the two harnesses I have worked on to repair don't connect together but actually plug into another set somewhere inside the trailer.
We tried to locate them and think we know about where they are, probably above the wheel well. Put two skinny teenage boys looking and reaching as far as possible with a possible location and thinking the other plugs could have been jammed somewhere. I think what has to happen will be to take the wheel well plastic off over the back tire. It's already damages on the side. Hopefully the other two mates of the harness can be located without tearing the trailer apart.
Thanks to those who have helped in this situation.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:33 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Power update

Have to compliment Airstream Service Dept. for getting back to me quickly today in about an hour. Guy there helpful and was able to work with me as I read out the wire colors and connectors of the harness. That's the good news. Bad news is that both of the two harnesses I have worked on to repair don't connect together but actually plug into another set somewhere inside the trailer.
We tried to locate them and think we know about where they are, probably above the wheel well. Put two skinny teenage boys looking and reaching as far as possible with a possible location and thinking the other plugs could have been jammed somewhere. I think what has to happen will be to take the wheel well plastic off over the back tire. It's already damages on the side. Hopefully the other two mates of the harness can be located without tearing the trailer apart.
Thanks to those who have helped in this situation.