Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2008, 09:10 AM   #1
Rusty

1967 24' Tradewind
1972 31' Sovereign
1978 25' Tradewind
aiken , South Carolina
Smile Help vintage 1978 25' Land Yacht!!

I have restored subject but have one problem. A LEAK the water is leaking from the belly pan in the rear. There is no water in holding tanks, all internal leaks have been fixed (no water in interior other than whats supposed to be there) and no eveidece of moisture in service/crawl space ect areas. I am befuddled as to where the leaks coming from but even more important HOW DO I EXPOSE THE AREA so that I fix it. Any suggestions are welcome.

I produce the annual SC State Airstream Rally. I't Oct 15th - 19th in Cleveland SC 29635. @ $50. pp I'ts a real bargin---and your all invited!!
WWW.palmettostate.net for details. me? im at dhboggs@hotmail.com

Thanks Rusty
rustyowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:20 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Are you certain you haven't a leak in your plumbing?
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:11 PM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
When you say no water on board, could it be possible that there is something left in the water heater?
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
I will take a stab at this. I am guessing that since you have a leak, you also have the city water connected? Does the leak stop if you turn the water off? yes?...the pressure regulator or the check valve is faulty, or the drain down valves are leaking. All fixable, just takes a bit of doin'.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:02 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
1978 31' Sovereign
Mansfield , Georgia
Hey rustyowens,

I'm just thinking outloud here, so my first blush impression may be way off, but I am from the South, like you, so we share similar camping geography and climate.

Last week I was camping and noticed large 2 ft by 4 ft damp place on the gravel, on the curb side rear my 1968 Airstream Tradewind travel trailer.

I wondered what the heck could have caused that... and then immediately began to worry I had an unseen leak in my holding tank, water lines, water heater, ETC.

I was 100% level in all directions.

I checked the inside water lines, the outside connections and under the trailer at the holding tank...nothing. I was getting really annoyed, I had a leak and could not find it.

What I found was that my airconditioner was discharging mositure, that flowed down the curb side of my trailer in a sheet so thin that I could not see it. The weather conditions were just right, and the water flowed in a very thin sheet down the outer skin of my Airstream to the trim band. It was only below the trim band that droplets formed about a foot above the ground, to where I actually could be see the mositure dripping down.

I hope this helps and I hope your fix is as cheap as mine.
KeithC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:32 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Some toilets have a drain valve petcock behind the toilet. That was my "leak" one time.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 07:34 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
pressure relief valve

I recently replaced the pressure relief valve in our '74 Ambassador. It is a small, cylindrical valve next to the pressure regulator, and is supposed to let water drain out of the system when the water pressure exceeds 60 psi.

On our last camping trip it started to drip out at about the same rate as the air conditioning condensate drain. The flow rate was a little greater at campsites where the water pressure was higher. Over time, the seal just started to deteriorate.

There is a fitting on the side of the valve that connects to a plastic tube that comes out in the belly pan. The valve should be located near the city water connection, and I was able to replace it through the rear access door (we have a rear bath).

Good luck
maccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:36 AM   #8
Rusty

1967 24' Tradewind
1972 31' Sovereign
1978 25' Tradewind
aiken , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
Are you certain you haven't a leak in your plumbing?
TX turned out to be the check valve..
Old 07-29-2008, 10:40 AM   #9
Rusty

1967 24' Tradewind
1972 31' Sovereign
1978 25' Tradewind
aiken , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithC View Post
Hey rustyowens,

I'm just thinking outloud here, so my first blush impression may be way off, but I am from the South, like you, so we share similar camping geography and climate.

Last week I was camping and noticed large 2 ft by 4 ft damp place on the gravel, on the curb side rear my 1968 Airstream Tradewind travel trailer.

I wondered what the heck could have caused that... and then immediately began to worry I had an unseen leak in my holding tank, water lines, water heater, ETC.

I was 100% level in all directions.

I checked the inside water lines, the outside connections and under the trailer at the holding tank...nothing. I was getting really annoyed, I had a leak and could not find it.

What I found was that my airconditioner was discharging mositure, that flowed down the curb side of my trailer in a sheet so thin that I could not see it. The weather conditions were just right, and the water flowed in a very thin sheet down the outer skin of my Airstream to the trim band. It was only below the trim band that droplets formed about a foot above the ground, to where I actually could be see the mositure dripping down.

I hope this helps and I hope your fix is as cheap as mine.
TX problem was thr check valve--$10. and one hour did the trick.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:43 AM   #10
Rusty

1967 24' Tradewind
1972 31' Sovereign
1978 25' Tradewind
aiken , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by drag'nwagon View Post
I will take a stab at this. I am guessing that since you have a leak, you also have the city water connected? Does the leak stop if you turn the water off? yes?...the pressure regulator or the check valve is faulty, or the drain down valves are leaking. All fixable, just takes a bit of doin'.
You hit nail on head. I checked down tube--water coming from check valve--$10. and alittle time did the trick. Thanks Hugh Boggs
Old 07-29-2008, 10:58 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Nice work!! Glad I could help.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote