Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-16-2008, 10:40 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
help me with priorities

Okay - I'm taking about 4 weeks of vacation over the holidays. Though a good part will be used shopping and visiting with friends & family (and hopefully camping) , I plan to dedicate some time to Ophelia Overlander. First project is replacing the axles (scheduled for Dec 21). Then I'll inspect and test my propane lines, stove and furnace. I would like to tackle some cosmetic items next (upholstery, vinyl flooring, paint, curtains) but I guess I should consider a few other things first. Care to take a list of my *to do*list and let me know how you would prioritize these other items (say, if money is not as big of a factor as time)?

• Add spare tire (nothing now --- need the tire and a way to carry it)
  • Install converter/charger (have a charger but Univolt is long gone)
  • Replace window & door gaskets (most all are shot --- have no idea of time this would take)
  • Re-screen windows (splines in many are shot)
  • Install FanTastic vents (2 pl)
  • Repair visa-view window (have the deteriorated film - will remove inner plastic window to clear)
Thanks for your thoughts. I'm sure there are other items that need attention as well - so if you have other ideas, please pass them on!

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 30’ Globetrotter
2001 30' Excella
Phoenix , Arizona
Laura,

Once you have your axles replaced and propan systems checked out.

It it were me, I would start with the window and door gaskets to ensure there are no leaks that could cause a problem with some of your other projects. I am unfamiliar with the construction of your windows, but we re-sealed our windows with gaskets and replacement glazing strips and it took an entire weekend. (The axles were much easier to replace)

I would move on to your vent covers as they could be a potenial leak.

Just my two cents

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
LHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:37 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
help me with priorities

Greetings Laura!

While you have the windows apart for installation of new gaskets, you might want to consider the two closely related projects: new window screen material, and new "fuzzies" to seal around the window operation levers.

I would also suggest checking the caulk/sealant around all of the exterior of the coach. You may need gasket for the access hatches on the exterior of your coach. Another exterior project that you may want to consider is inspecting all of your DOT clearance marker lights -- lense replacements as well as replacement lights are available (this is one of the project on my list for my Minuet -- will be upgrading to LEDs with the new fixtures).

You mention replacing your coach's axles. Have you considered the brakes (if you aren't purchasing axles complete with brakes)? While everything is out, installing new fully loaded backing plates whould be a natural if you aren't buying the axles with new brakes.

Good luck with your projects!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
Okay - I'm taking about 4 weeks of vacation over the holidays. Though a good part will be used shopping and visiting with friends & family (and hopefully camping) , I plan to dedicate some time to Ophelia Overlander. First project is replacing the axles (scheduled for Dec 21). Then I'll inspect and test my propane lines, stove and furnace. I would like to tackle some cosmetic items next (upholstery, vinyl flooring, paint, curtains) but I guess I should consider a few other things first. Care to take a list of my *to do*list and let me know how you would prioritize these other items (say, if money is not as big of a factor as time)?

• Add spare tire (nothing now --- need the tire and a way to carry it)
  • Install converter/charger (have a charger but Univolt is long gone)
  • Replace window & door gaskets (most all are shot --- have no idea of time this would take)
  • Re-screen windows (splines in many are shot)
  • Install FanTastic vents (2 pl)
  • Repair visa-view window (have the deteriorated film - will remove inner plastic window to clear)
Thanks for your thoughts. I'm sure there are other items that need attention as well - so if you have other ideas, please pass them on!

Laura
Don't forget the sewer vent pipe cover gaskets.

They last 5 to 6 years or so..

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 03:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Don't forget the sewer vent pipe cover gaskets.

They last 5 to 6 years or so..

Andy

Oh gosh --- where's that? On her top?
Old 12-16-2008, 03:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
Greetings Laura!

While you have the windows apart for installation of new gaskets, you might want to consider the two closely related projects: new window screen material, and new "fuzzies" to seal around the window operation levers.

I would also suggest checking the caulk/sealant around all of the exterior of the coach. You may need gasket for the access hatches on the exterior of your coach. Another exterior project that you may want to consider is inspecting all of your DOT clearance marker lights -- lense replacements as well as replacement lights are available (this is one of the project on my list for my Minuet -- will be upgrading to LEDs with the new fixtures).

You mention replacing your coach's axles. Have you considered the brakes (if you aren't purchasing axles complete with brakes)? While everything is out, installing new fully loaded backing plates whould be a natural if you aren't buying the axles with new brakes.

Good luck with your projects!

Kevin

Thanks for the ideas Kevin! Window fuzzies - check, and screening - check. Oh - and thanks for reminding me of the access hatches for gaskets!

What about the clearance lights? Mine all work - do you mean to just upgrade to LED's in general? Hummmmm. I'll have to give that some thought.

And yep, got new brakes with the axles. Does this replacement necessitate any additional work - balancing, etc?

Laura
Old 12-16-2008, 03:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHall View Post
Laura,

Once you have your axles replaced and propan systems checked out.

It it were me, I would start with the window and door gaskets to ensure there are no leaks that could cause a problem with some of your other projects. I am unfamiliar with the construction of your windows, but we re-sealed our windows with gaskets and replacement glazing strips and it took an entire weekend. (The axles were much easier to replace)

I would move on to your vent covers as they could be a potenial leak.

Just my two cents

Appreciate you two cents. I see that I may need more beer (and music) than I figured for the gasket work.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:16 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 30’ Globetrotter
2001 30' Excella
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Appreciate you two cents. I see that I may need more beer (and music) than I figured for the gasket work.
For sure, just don't have too many while work is in progress

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
LHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 06:25 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Oh gosh --- where's that? On her top?
The sewer vent pipe gaskets are underneath the polished oval 3 inch x 5 inch covers on the roof.

You should have 2 or 3 of them.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:22 AM   #10
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
My mantra is safety first, reliability second. If I can get down the road with no issue, then leaks are the next big item to address (potential points where water may enter). Sounds like a nice group of things to have the satisfaction of doing!

The problem of any job on one of these is that there are always related jobs to tackle. I'd "bag" the spare tire/wheel to toss in the back of the TV until I got some of the rest of the things done, with the idea that it is "solved" for the time being and a lesser, non-safety or reliability issue.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:20 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Good luck on your to do list. Keep us posted on the progress with pictures if possible.
I think many of us need to do the things on your list so it would be helpful to have it documented.

Kani
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote