Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-09-2019, 06:32 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Detroit , Michigan
Help me ID this laminate in my 2007 Safari

I've got a 2007 Safari SE 25FB that is undergoing a few upgrades. While everything is apart, I've decided to change the fabric-wrapped panels underneath the seating to match the rest of the fake wood laminate.

I've turned up a few threads and some Wilsonart product names, but none looked right. A call to Airstream resulted in a totally new manufacturer (Patrick Industries "New Age Tropical Oak"), although the gentleman I spoke to didn't sound confident that was right. I can't find any information on laminates that company supplies. But Wilsonart does have a "New Age Oak" color that does seem close. Is that the one I'm looking for?

Would appreciate the help. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2418.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	353.2 KB
ID:	337746  
zayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:58 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Col. Station , Ohio
You are correct, it is Wilson Art "new age oak". I got a sheet from Home Depot this past winter. Be advised it comes in two thickness depending on your intended use. I got the thiner "postforming" grade intended for vertical surface.
Flynavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 12:27 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Detroit , Michigan
Great -- thanks, Flynavy. I just ordered a sheet to be shipped to my local Home Depot. I'll report back on results.
Old 02-26-2021, 01:50 PM   #4
Always learning

1974 27' Overlander
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Woodway , WA
laminate question

Quote:
Originally Posted by zayd View Post
Great -- thanks, Flynavy. I just ordered a sheet to be shipped to my local Home Depot. I'll report back on results.
Hi Zayd, i'm actually doing the exact same thing with my 2007 safari now as well, how did that wilsonart laminate match up? I'd been told that laminate was discontinued and actually have been hitting the home stores trying for a match, so was excited when i saw this thread!

I'm also doing my flooring too (after hopefully finally tracking down some leaks in the rear end), did you glue yours down, are those individual planks? solid install job on that too btw!
barryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 08:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Cedarcreek , Missouri
We did a similar upgrade to our '06 Safari but used a more muted laminate that I had on hand that complimented our new flooring choice. Figured there was enough light colored faux wood in the cabin already. [emoji6] Next item: to reupholster the cushions...Click image for larger version

Name:	20210226_210057.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	389442
Mount'n Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 04:01 PM   #6
Always learning

1974 27' Overlander
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Woodway , WA
that looks nice too! i was thinking of trying to match the new fabric I'm putting in it as well, but since i'm installing a wood/vinyl floor i'm hoping to find a match to the other wood to avoid to many finish types in such a small space, but that's my back up plan for sure!
Old 02-27-2021, 04:02 PM   #7
Always learning

1974 27' Overlander
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Woodway , WA
i'm curious, did you lift the millwork to put in the new floor, or just cut right up to it?
Old 02-28-2021, 07:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Cedarcreek , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryz View Post
i'm curious, did you lift the millwork to put in the new floor, or just cut right up to it?
I left the furniture and cabinets intact but removed all the face fronts (when I laminated them). I cut the flooring to fit the space using paper templates, keeping a small gap around the perimeter as per instructions. The flooring cut very easily with a jigsaw equipped with a laminate blade.

I was mostly able to cover the visible gaps with some custom ash quarter round and the threshold moldings supplied by the manufacturer, although the toughest one was the arc from the door around to the couch. Where molding wasn't feasible, I used a colored polyurethane caulking. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200621_125154.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	389579Click image for larger version

Name:	20200509_134538.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	389580Click image for larger version

Name:	20210228_202558.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	389582
Old 03-02-2021, 03:19 PM   #9
Always learning

1974 27' Overlander
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Woodway , WA
Hi Mount'n Man, good looking install, glad to hear you left the cabs in place as well as i was shuddering at the thought of removing them, although i'm sure it would make the flooring install quicker! Good idea on the paper template as i see that curve also being a multiple piece install to get right... I think i'm going to undercut some of the odd trim pieces that stick out a bit and slip the flooring under it, and possibly at a few other places.

I'm also going to glue the flooring down, and have seen a lot of preference around floating floors, but i did that in my '74 and found that the annual expansion and contraction, coupled with going down the road, eventually just pulls the joints apart and causes buckles in some areas, so hopefully i don't regret the glue down.

I am going to do a floating carpet tile in the front bedroom with the corners attached with stickers so i can keep an eye on potential leaks, and if it doesn't hold well, i can always go back and glue it as well i guess.

Thanks again for the feedback, i really appreciate it!
Old 03-02-2021, 05:56 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Cedarcreek , Missouri
Hey Barryz, no worries. We used a high end Coretech vinyl snap flooring, 12"x24" cork-backed "floating" tiles. Advertised as zero shrinkage/expansion and so far, I believe it. I was a little skeptical about the 8mm thickness but overall it's so much nicer to walk on than the original crappy vinyl sheet goods (it had shrunk away from the walls and was buckling--not a good look for an Airstream). I trimmed the old vinyl tight to all the cabinetry.

Insofar as templates, I cut a bunch of 12"x24" kraft paper blanks to make my custom cuts. Measure twice, cut once! Honestly, the hardest part was laying out the floor so I didn't end up with a thin piece of tile at one end and a wide piece at the other. A side note, our cabinets and walls weren't perfectly parallel down the hallway, so if you look real close, you can see the taper in the seams--would have been really obvious with a plank-style pattern. Way to go, Airstream! One other thing, invest in the little specialty tool for snugging up the seams-- you won't regret it!

Also, get some more opinions on gluing the flooring, don't know if that's the best way.

Feel free to PM if you have any questions...
Old 03-10-2021, 11:22 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Detroit , Michigan
Hey folks, nice to see this thread alive again. I've corresponded with Barry via PM but thought I'd close the loop here as well.

WilsonArt's New Age Oak was a close enough match for me not to go searching the corners of the earth for the original. The color was right on, but the grain varied slightly. Here's a shot of it installed (left) up against the original trim (middle) and original laminate (right):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6478.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	534.9 KB
ID:	390415