Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2017, 05:31 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

New York , Arizona
Help!: Complete Restoration of 1972 Overlander

Hello All!

My wife and I have owned a 1974 Overlander (27ft) for almost twenty years. We did a 6 month pre-wedding honeymoon in it and have kept it in original condition and love it. We part it where ever our trip takes us and leave it stored for the next time.

Now I have bought another 27 ft Overlander, this time 1972, for a complete restoration and redesign. I have now gutted it and would love recommendations along the way.

Here are some pics of how it was and where I am now:
Name:   IMG_0043.JPG
Views: 226
Size:  86.5 KB

Name:   IMG_0044.JPG
Views: 216
Size:  87.8 KB
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0056.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	327.9 KB
ID:	295428 on the inside. I have had new axels installed and all exterior lights are new.

What I need to do is:

- remove all inside skin and remove all insulation
- replace bathroom floor and perhaps black water tank
- repair and replace floor where needed
- find and repair all outer skin leaks - found one already
- design new interior. - have a really inspiring idea from Hoffman design

Question I have:

- how to replace bathroom floor - are the top and bottom attached in such a way that the floor cannot be replaced?

- what is the best insulation to use that nice won't eat and stops water and doesn't pollute or poison us

- cad program my wife can use to design new interior

- do I really need vents for grey water ? I have bought a compost toilet so do not need vents for grey water tank - do the sinks really need it? I would love to not have to install all the pipes from floor to ceiling like there used to be.

- suggested new wiring for a new build.
marc2harri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 05:52 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
St Clair County , Michigan
I can answer 2 of the 5:

Google Sketch Up, a robust (and free) design program and

Yes, you need to install vent (or stink) pipes. They keep the air pressure within the drain system neutral, which is especially important in a closed system. if your gray tank drains fast enough, it can suck all the water from all or some of the traps, which in turn will allow waste water fumes to vent into the living space. That's whu they're called stink pipes.
TR Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:42 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
There are lots of threads for floor replacement. It's not super easy, but it's doable.

I like rockwool. Easy to work with, holds its shape, not itchy, repels water. Mice will still live in it. You need to seal off the places mice get in, regardless of your insulation choice.

You need vents for your plumbing system, period. Take some time to research how a plumbing system works so that you can rebuild it correctly. If you don't, your drains will run slow and your traps won't work. If you don't want to go up through the ceiling, you can use a "cheater vent" which lets air in but not out. Since it's a mechanical part, be sure to make it accessible so you can replace it when it breaks.

Most people use Romex, but the right thing to use is marine grade stranded wire.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:13 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Question I have:

- how to replace bathroom floor - are the top and bottom attached in such a way that the floor cannot be replaced?
Definitely doable, Google search airforums shell on floor replacement. It's a little complicated since you need access to the bolts so you'll have to remove some interior wall panels.

- what is the best insulation to use that nice won't eat and stops water and doesn't pollute or poison us
For that I'd recommend rock wool, it's hydrophobic and pests won't eat it or live in it, it's hard to find some the right thickness so it can take more work.

Depends on how detailed she's going to get. For exact dimensional layouts I'll second the google sketch up, there are online tutorials. For just general layout ideas something like PowerPoint can be pretty easy.

- do I really need vents for grey water ? I have bought a compost toilet so do not need vents for grey water tank - do the sinks really need it? I would love to not have to install all the pipes from floor to ceiling like there used to be.
Yes you need to vent the tank. Going through the roof isn't that bad. You can route the plumbing to minimize intrusion. If you don't vent thevtank you can get the suction effect mentioned above, but as the tank fills up pressure would build up and stop water from draining into it, significantly reducing your effective tank capacity.

I'll keep my input simple. Think and plan in great detail. How you plan to use the trailer. Always hooked up, boondocking? What do you want for entertainment equipment. Radio, tv, speakers, cables and outlets. Inverter and converter upgrades, solar? I inspected, repaired, and reused most of my 12v wiring, but added a few new circuits and upgraded the fuse panels. I replaced all my 120v, adding several new circuits and more outlets for convenience.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:35 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

New York , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatleys View Post
There are lots of threads for floor replacement. It's not super easy, but it's doable.

I like rockwool. Easy to work with, holds its shape, not itchy, repels water. Mice will still live in it. You need to seal off the places mice get in, regardless of your insulation choice.

You need vents for your plumbing system, period. Take some time to research how a plumbing system works so that you can rebuild it correctly. If you don't, your drains will run slow and your traps won't work. If you don't want to go up through the ceiling, you can use a "cheater vent" which lets air in but not out. Since it's a mechanical part, be sure to make it accessible so you can replace it when it breaks.

Most people use Romex, but the right thing to use is marine grade stranded wire.

Thank you!
Old 09-25-2017, 03:37 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

New York , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiJoeSilver View Post
Question I have:

Definitely doable, Google search airforums shell on floor replacement. It's a little complicated since you need access to the bolts so you'll have to remove some interior wall panels.

For that I'd recommend rock wool, it's hydrophobic and pests won't eat it or live in it, it's hard to find some the right thickness so it can take more work.

Depends on how detailed she's going to get. For exact dimensional layouts I'll second the google sketch up, there are online tutorials. For just general layout ideas something like PowerPoint can be pretty easy.

Yes you need to vent the tank. Going through the roof isn't that bad. You can route the plumbing to minimize intrusion. If you don't vent thevtank you can get the suction effect mentioned above, but as the tank fills up pressure would build up and stop water from draining into it, significantly reducing your effective tank capacity.

I'll keep my input simple. Think and plan in great detail. How you plan to use the trailer. Always hooked up, boondocking? What do you want for entertainment equipment. Radio, tv, speakers, cables and outlets. Inverter and converter upgrades, solar? I inspected, repaired, and reused most of my 12v wiring, but added a few new circuits and upgraded the fuse panels. I replaced all my 120v, adding several new circuits and more outlets for convenience.

Many thanks for the replies and suggestions!