Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2014, 09:36 PM   #1
Living Riveted

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Carnegie , Pennsylvania
Help a newbie! Popped rivets on interior roof and side...

Newbie here...I just traveled across the us in my new 2014 19' Flying Cloud. Upon arrival, I found 2 rivets on the floor inside the AS (not the whole rivet more like the head that got sheared off). Should I be concerned? Is this normal? We have had some light rain here in Teton and haven't seen any sign of water in the AS, but I assume rivets from the interior are not going directly to the outside shell of the AS...true?

In general, looking for guidance on how common this is, if it's a big deal, how to get fixed, etc.

Thanks!
Arnoldjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:46 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
Airstreams are built to flex. If you get enough flexing, you're bound to find some popped rivets. Interior rivets do not go though the outer shell...and visa versa. The rivets you found inside probably hold interior skins together or cabinets to wall, etc. The question is how much is too much? If you are getting that much shaking, rattling and rolling going on, then you have to ask about your running gear, tire pressure, road conditions, tow vehicle, hitch system....all can be factors when it comes to beating up your Airstream...
arktos55343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
It is not uncommon. As said, popped rivets come from stress that can be caused by a number of things...including bad roads. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you have a lot of rivets popping in a row or if they repeatedly pop in a given area. If that happens I'd have the matter looked into. A random one here and there is normal and expected.

If you are still under warranty they can be replaced by a service center ... and get their opinion of whether there is a deeper issue. If so, it can likely be dealt with under warranty.

We bought a rivet gun and replace our own rivets when they occasionally pop. It take some practice so get used to it using a tin can or such so when it's time to do the real thing you are ready. You'll need to drill out the shank of the rivet that popped, then put a new rivet in its place.

An additional note: We added Centramatics to our wheels ... They are in-motion self-balancing discs that you place betwen the wheel and the drum...and the don't cost that much for single axle trailer. They reduced the number and frequency of popped rivets for us.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
It is not uncommon. As said, popped rivets come from stress that can be caused by a number of things...including bad roads. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you have a lot of rivets popping in a row or if they repeatedly pop in a given area. If that happens I'd have the matter looked into. A random one here and there is normal and expected.

If you are still under warranty they can be replaced by a service center ... and get their opinion of whether there is a deeper issue. If so, it can likely be dealt with under warranty.

We bought a rivet gun and replace our own rivets when they occasionally pop. It take some practice so get used to it using a tin can or such so when it's time to do the real thing you are ready. You'll need to drill out the shank of the rivet that popped, then put a new rivet in its place.

Arnoldjeff, TB is right on. A couple on your new trailer--normal. Get your rivet gun at HD and 1/8 th and the next size larger 3/16 inch aluminum pop rivets for repairs. I think your inside are 1/8 th inch.--3/8 inch long. You will probably find the shank is already gone, if not, tap out with a small punch or drill out. Insert rivet, Press your gun hard against the skin and squeeze a new one in place. You're done.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
JC sells a rivet kit (with or without the shaver) that has a good riveting tool and a supply of the various rivets used on an AS. I bought one a couple of years ago and have the occasional use for it.

TBRich also mentions the Centramatics - I had those installed as well. Vibration as well as flexing can cause rivets to shear. Driving along the highway at 60 mph with out-of-balance wheels will cause rivets to shear, drawers to open and a plethora of issues. At $50 per wheel, Centramatics are highly recommended. I even have them on my TV. They balance the entire assembly: wheels, tires, brake drums/disks dynamically.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Call tech support at Jackson Center and ask them to send you a supply of rivets (as you have popped a couple in the interior. They will. Also ask them if they would send you a couple of small scraps of aluminum for you to drill and practice.

Get your own rivet gun at Lowes or HD, and go for it. You'd be surprised at how easy they are to replace.

Now, be observant and try to keep a mental record of future popped rivets. If they occur frequently, you more than likely have something going on with your towing setup, and it needs adjustment.

Good luck!

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I purchased my '06 in '09 and noticed a popped rivet right away. When I had it in to the local dealer for some regular maintenance the tech went over it lightly, caulked around the rear window and replaced the rivet at no charge.

I had a pop rivet tool and the proper sized aluminum rivets at home. It wasn't long before I found a few more missing rivets so I got pretty good at drilling out the old and replacing them. I changed out the original Goodyear Marathons and replaced them with Maxxis, made sure they were balanced and readjusted my WD hitch. When people say to get a rivet gun, I have a feeling they mean to get a good pop rivet tool. The tech suggest this and the rivets I have replaced look identical to the original. The interior rivets are completely different from the exterior ones.

I haven't had a popped rivet since other than the one I found after I jacked up the trailer to replace a flat tire. Airstreams do flex but only to a point. I think of the rivets like the canaries in the coal mines. When you find a few laying around dead on your floor you need to pay attention.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnoldjeff View Post
Newbie here...I just traveled across the us in my new 2014 19' Flying Cloud. Upon arrival, I found 2 rivets on the floor inside the AS (not the whole rivet more like the head that got sheared off). Should I be concerned? Is this normal? We have had some light rain here in Teton and haven't seen any sign of water in the AS, but I assume rivets from the interior are not going directly to the outside shell of the AS...true?

In general, looking for guidance on how common this is, if it's a big deal, how to get fixed, etc.

Thanks!
Got to ask, did you find the holes they might of come from? If no holes they might of been just trash left over from the construction process. My new to me 2006 Safari LS 23 is several years old now and I am finding all kinds of build trash behind the cabinets and pull outs.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 06:20 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Today we found a hole in the inner skin in our upright cabinet. It looked like a rivet was there but I can't see any backing to attach the rivet. It is all alone with no others near by. I could try to stick another river in the hole but not to sure if I will hit structure to secure the rivet to.

Could this just be an extra hole that was never used?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 07:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
We carry a kit for replacing the rivets. Totally normal.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:29 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
Holy resurrected thread, batman!

Currently two popped interior rivets here. No worries. Will fix

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:10 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Are the rivets the 1/8" heads with 1/2' body? I have to order some and just wanted to know what rivets are being used as replacements.

Is there some oversizing occurring to get good bite on structure?
Old 07-11-2020, 10:16 AM   #13
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
That size is fine. Good news is that the factory told me that replaced rivets are very unlikely to be replaced again.

Be sure to hold the gun firmly, as it will try to slide sideways at the final pull - risking a scratch to your panel.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:25 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
That size is fine. Good news is that the factory told me that replaced rivets are very unlikely to be replaced again.

Be sure to hold the gun firmly, as it will try to slide sideways at the final pull - risking a scratch to your panel.

Pat
Thanks Pat, I just pulled my door panel off to chase a leak and went with some bigger replacements (3/16"). They took a bit of force to snap the pin off and the first few had the riveter bounce back onto the surface. Good thing the inside of the door is hidden.

I need to make a rubber bumper for the gun so if it bounces, it will not scratch the surface.
Old 07-15-2020, 08:04 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post

Pat
So any interior rivet can be 1/2 inch in length? I have one to replace on my 2020 Bambi in the ceiling above the dinette table. AS manual says interior is 3/8 or 1/2 (45 or 48). Not sure if they mean your choice or if it's based on location? Also, drill bit 30 is what I'd need to remove the old, correct?

On damaging the surrounding panel, I saw a helpful video on YouTube where the Airstreamer covered the area around the whole with layers of painter's tape with a screwdriver hole where the rivet goes in.

https://youtu.be/D95jlhbayJU
steilkurve is offline   Reply With Quote