Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-27-2015, 09:39 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Anywhere , USA
Help! A/C-Heater Caught on Fire!

Last night, our ceiling mounted A/C-Heater caught on fire. Luckily, I woke up immediately and put it out so no damage.

What do I do next? Who typically repairs or replaces these units? It's a 1967 Overlander. A/C is an older unit and doesn't work that great anyway.
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 10:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Pretty much any reputable RV shop can work on it but I would think that replacement would actually be more cost effective if it is, as you say, old and not working well.

The classic replacement is the Dometic Penguin. Installing one in an Airstream is a little different than most SOB's as there is provision for a condensate drain that runs through a hose and down inside the wall to a low point. A good RV tech, with a modicum of Airstream experience can replace it, I believe there is a unique tray that it used to provide for the interior drain.

There are other units that deal,with the condensate without provision for a drain but I am unfamiliar with them.

All generally will fit in the standard roof opening.

If I was replacing mine, I'd go for an upgrade to a 15k BTU unit vice the 13.5k BTU that I have now.

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 11:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
Contact Uwe at Area 63 in Lytle Creek area63productions.com he specializes in Vintage repairs/restoration as well as work on new models.
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 01:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Don't use the heat element. Go buy a 25 dollar electric heater at Home Depot, Lowes, Big Lots or Wal-Mart. Then when you feel up to it replace the entire AC unit.
Old 11-27-2015, 04:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
Don't use the heat element. Go buy a 25 dollar electric heater at Home Depot, Lowes, Big Lots or Wal-Mart. Then when you feel up to it replace the entire AC unit.
I agree with Melody - don't go with an Air Conditioner with heat strips - the $25 heater does the same thing and is quieter - and isn't on the ceiling.

BUT you might want to consider a Heat PUMP which is basically a reversable air conditioner. If you've ever stood outside when a window air conditioner is running you know it gives off heat, on a cold day a heat pump blows the heat inside. The first one I had on a 2006 Safari only heated down to about 42 F. The one on my 2012 works down to about 37 F, so there's been significant improvement. Below 37 F. I either set the system on AUTO to switch to the furnace, or turn off the compressor (fan on can be nice) and use the little $25 space heaters.

Don't waste your time considering repairing the old unit. The parts are probably no longer made or stocked and labor - well a new one would be cheaper AND more efficient.

Paula
Old 11-28-2015, 03:13 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
We also have a '67 Overlander with the Original Armstrong A/C up top. Still works great (knock wood) but doesn't have heat strips. We use a small space heater which does the trick most of the time, but nothing beats the gas furnace for a quick warm-up. I have heard several comments from the Vintage folks at WBCCI that the Armstrongs are nearly "bullet proof" and parts are available, probably from Silver Trailer Supply in Utah or Vintage TS in Vermont. We plan to keep ours as long as we can.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 03:53 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Anywhere , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob D View Post
We also have a '67 Overlander with the Original Armstrong A/C up top. Still works great (knock wood) but doesn't have heat strips. We use a small space heater which does the trick most of the time, but nothing beats the gas furnace for a quick warm-up. I have heard several comments from the Vintage folks at WBCCI that the Armstrongs are nearly "bullet proof" and parts are available, probably from Silver Trailer Supply in Utah or Vintage TS in Vermont. We plan to keep ours as long as we can.
Looks like we have a replacement A/C then. It's a Coleman.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	239.7 KB
ID:	252998  

"wherever we go, we're always home"
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 09:05 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York