Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2014, 07:09 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Madison , Wisconsin
Vintage fire extinguishers

Looking for photos of original fire extinguishers from 1960's trailers.

What do ya all have?
TDOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:44 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Who makes a fire extinguisher that will last more than a year or two before it needs to be recharged? These things are not cheap for them to leak down in a short period of time. I think my last one was a Kidde. I am not going to buy a new one every year. What is the fill gas CO2 and the white powder?

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:20 AM   #23
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Who makes a fire extinguisher that will last more than a year or two before it needs to be recharged? These things are not cheap for them to leak down in a short period of time. I think my last one was a Kidde. I am not going to buy a new one every year. What is the fill gas CO2 and the white powder?

Perry
Nitrogen is the gas used
The chemical mix will vary a bit depending on manufacturer, most of ours are charged with Mono-ammonium phosphate, Ammonium sulphate and a few other wonderful things likes Fullers earth, mica, silica and yellow #14

Ours get inspected monthly, tagged annually, torn down and recharged at the 6 year mark, and destroyed at the 12 year mark... if they make it that long. I currently ride herd on around 100 units give or take. They will last for years. I had one wander back in this year that had not been inspected in close to 10 years, being past the 12 year mark we used it for fire extinguisher training then destroyed the carcass.

My prefered brand is Amerex, but we have Badger, Kidde and Ansul too.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:49 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
Quote:

Perry
If you have a good quality metal body extinguisher you can have it serviced as wahoonc discussed for his commercial situation.

My moho came with a small unit next to the door (not home now, I can't remember the rating) and I supplemented it with an additional dry chemical by Kidde, I think a 1A:10BC. Next move is to replace the old small dry powder with Halotron, minimum 2.5# but I will upsize if it will fit.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:20 PM   #25
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:

Perry
The Kidde ones are cheap consumer products, usually not rechargable. I would not want to depend on one.

Amerex makes an excellent 5# chrome-plated extinguisher with a vehicle mount that looks great in an Airstream. I have one in my Cayo:

Amerex 500TC - Buy Today - Just $95.66 From IndustrialSafety.com

I also have some fire extinguishers from Buckeye Fire which are also well made and were, at the time I got them, considerably cheaper than Amerex. I have one of those in my Airstream. Wish it were chrome.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:48 PM   #26
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
The Kidde ones are cheap consumer products, usually not rechargable. I would not want to depend on one.
The one that came with my Interstate was a First Alert model. Home - First Alert The plastic wall bracket was too flimsy, and broke, but I installed a replacement metal bracket, and no problems since. And the exintguisher itself has held up well.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:09 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
So how much does it cost to get a good one serviced? A plastic valve at the top is probably a give away that it is junk.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:05 PM   #28
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
So how much does it cost to get a good one serviced? A plastic valve at the top is probably a give away that it is junk.

Perry
No clue, call a couple of your local service shops and ask. FWIW if I get a discharged one it takes about 30 minutes to tear it down replace a couple of parts and recharge it. Most of ours are 10# with some 20# a few 2.5# and some oddball 5#, My personal preference would be a 5# or 10#, they are small enough to manhandle but large enough to get something done. Probably cost about the same to recharge, the labor is going to be the most expensive part.

FWIW a 10# fire extinguisher actually weighs around 16#

I have seen some Buckeye and they looked to me like rebadged Badger.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote