Old 03-27-2020, 09:53 PM   #1
Scout

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Liingston , Happy Camper, USA
Hanging wardrobe Fail

I have a 28’ FC Rear twin. The side panel of the floating wardrobe cabinet which holds the bedroom TV has broken away from the rest of the cabinet. I’m surprised the only thing holding this floating cabinet to the shower wall is a couple dowels and a couple screws. I would have thought it was riveted to the outside wall of the airstream. Has anyone had this happen? Suggestions for fixing it? Since I am physically distancing due to COVID-19, I am unable to get it to the dealer for repairs (which I am sure would be covered under warranty). I am afraid the whole cabinet will fall onto the twin bed while I am sleeping. Lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	64253A6D-4CC5-4016-A6D3-413F0009E88C.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	364119   Click image for larger version

Name:	BA82F82E-380F-43E4-B7CF-40666741F7D2.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	230.3 KB
ID:	364121  

Attached Images

yellowcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 10:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
I would first try to repair the top piece with wood inserts (dowels, tooth pics, etc., depending on size and depth), carpenter's glue and strong clamps, let dry for at least 24 hours.

Then, I would reattach the wall to the top piece, using both screws and glue, but I would also add a metal corner brace that you can pick up at any big box store to reinforce the joint.

You might also consider cutting and adding an additional (solid, real) wood support brace further back along the top for added structural support.

Fortunately, this is not too difficult a fix. You might also take this opportunity to examine the rest of your cabinetry for other stress areas that could benefit from some reinforcement.

Sadly, much of the cabinetry, furniture, etc. in your AS trailer is built just like this, using composite wood, and hardware like screws that are too small and do not hold up well in trailers that bounce and juggle down the highway, especially when loads are hanging on them.

You would think AS would engineer their trailers and build them with components tested and proven to hold up to the rigors of camping. You would be wrong on that count, as this forum testifies over and over again.

Its up to us to take a good concept, the trailer, and make it into what it should have been.

skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 10:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, this is a similar cabinet as in my Safari, but mine does not have a television mounted on it. Was that a factory installed television? The top horizontal board is wasted. I would replace it with a piece of solid Oak. Those two screws are not enough to hold that side of the cabinet up. A few small angle brackets with one screw into the wood and one screw into the aluminum wall would help a lot; More so if you can find a rib or on a rivet line where there would be double the thickness to better hold the screws.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 10:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
OP may want to try to repair/salvage original top piece to match cabinet finish. If so, I would defiantly add a structural piece further behind to handle the load, consider the existing top piece as decorative rather than structural.

Alternatively, contact AS, take pics, see if they will let you do something temporary now, then when you have more time/after the pandemic, you can take it in and have them replace with matching cabinetry. (But I would then reinforce that per above, because what AS does clearly isn't adequate)
Old 03-27-2020, 10:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, the cabinet door blocks about 1/3 of the top board so it might not show too much. The end corner board is solid Oak so an Oak board would not be too out of place except for the direction of the grain. Another way would be to double the top board with a piece of solid Oak glued and screwed to the back side of the original top board. It still needs some additional bracing on the cabinet side to the aluminum wall behind it.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 03-28-2020, 07:58 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
“I would first try to repair the top piece with wood inserts (dowels, tooth pics, etc., depending on size and depth), carpenter's glue and strong clamps, let dry for at least 24 hours.

Then, I would reattach the wall to the top piece, using both screws and glue, but I would also add a metal corner brace that you can pick up at any big box store to reinforce the joint.”

The best I’ve found is Quickwood in place of glue — unless you think you might ever want to take the pieces apart down the road. Might not need the corner brace ...

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:19 AM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I would send an email to the service at Airstream to document the problem. Then have them fix it after things open back up again.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:38 AM   #8
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, this is a similar cabinet as in my Safari, but mine does not have a television mounted on it. Was that a factory installed television? The top horizontal board is wasted. I would replace it with a piece of solid Oak. Those two screws are not enough to hold that side of the cabinet up. A few small angle brackets with one screw into the wood and one screw into the aluminum wall would help a lot; More so if you can find a rib or on a rivet line where there would be double the thickness to better hold the screws.
I'm with West Coast Bob.

Anything screwed into balsa/soft core laminate is not going to hold. Make your own and stain it.
Do it rite....once.

East Coast Bob
🇺🇸

"Instead of going to ’Starbucks…I make my own Coffee at home, yell out my name rong, then light a five dollar bill on fire"
Amanamus

Tahawus....🌥
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 09:51 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcake View Post
I have a 28’ FC Rear twin. The side panel of the floating wardrobe cabinet which holds the bedroom TV has broken away from the rest of the cabinet. I’m surprised the only thing holding this floating cabinet to the shower wall is a couple dowels and a couple screws. I would have thought it was riveted to the outside wall of the airstream. Has anyone had this happen? Suggestions for fixing it? Since I am physically distancing due to COVID-19, I am unable to get it to the dealer for repairs (which I am sure would be covered under warranty). I am afraid the whole cabinet will fall onto the twin bed while I am sleeping. Lol.
Yes, I had a big problem. The first sign was when the closet rod started falling to the floor during travel. I initially thought I was putting too much weight on the rod. Then I noticed that there were small cracks appearing on the seam between the closet unit and the stove unit. My non-dealer RV repair tech diagnosed the problem: the cabinet unit was not properly attached to the floor or adjacent wall. Surprise, surprise! Another Airstream quality surprise. Don't get me wrong, I love our rig, butt . . . .
dhroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 01:36 PM   #10
Scout

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Yes, the TV was factory installed on the wall.
Old 03-28-2020, 01:55 PM   #11
Scout

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Hi, the cabinet door blocks about 1/3 of the top board so it might not show too much. The end corner board is solid Oak so an Oak board would not be too out of place except for the direction of the grain. Another way would be to double the top board with a piece of solid Oak glued and screwed to the back side of the original top board. It still needs some additional bracing on the cabinet side to the aluminum wall behind it.
There is a line of rivets on the wall behind the cabinet that lines up with where the edge of the cabinet would be if it were properly affixed. Do I use rivets to attach the angle brackets on the wall?
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2020, 02:33 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Quote:
There is a line of rivets on the wall behind the cabinet that lines up with where the edge of the cabinet would be if it were properly affixed. Do I use rivets to attach the angle brackets on the wall?
Yes, exactly, if you want to attach it to the wall.

You can either drill out and replace existing rivets and use same holes, or add new ones, pre-drilling the rivet hole.

Depending on how the wardrobe wall lines up, you can add the corner braces where the aluminum wall end faces rear (assuming an RB model) (aft) and the wardrobe wall covers that end of the bracket, or where the aluminum wall end of the brace faces forward.

If the former, you will need to rivet all the corner braces to the wall first, if the latter, you can do it one at a time. If you have a FB model, it's the opposite.

Note that if you secure the wardrobe wall to the interior wall, the wardrobe wall will no-longer "float" inside the Airstream, and as the trailer bounces and jiggles down the road, all of that shear stress will be transferred directly to the wardrobe wall.
Old 03-30-2020, 02:10 PM   #13
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Hi yellowcak,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

Thank you.*
Old 03-31-2020, 01:10 AM   #14
Scout

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post
Hi yellowcak,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

Thank you.*
Thank you, I have submitted a request directly to customer service via email.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:59 AM   #15
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Consider fixing it yourself, It would not be hard to do a much better job that you know for sure will last.

Without the hassle.👍

Bob
🇺🇸

"Instead of going to ’Starbucks…I make my own Coffee at home, yell out my name rong, then light a five dollar bill on fire"
Amanamus

Tahawus....🌥
Old 03-31-2020, 08:56 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Here's my opinion.
Airstream did not use glue on the dowels when assembling the cabinet. Hurry, hurry.
It should have been plenty strong, and most people don't have their walls fall apart.
1. Use a good wood glue like Titebond or Gorilla. Squeeze some in the crack and clamp firmly. Let set for 24 hrs.
2. fill the screw holes on the horizontal part with a wooden dowel. (Since the screws stripped out) I find that even large bamboo skewers from the grocery might fit. Glue them in and shave flush.
3. Use the same wood glue to coat the dowels and reinsert tap flush.
4. As an extra brace, either an angle bracket inside the locker joining the two pieces or a hardwood corner brace.

I don't think attaching it to the aluminum is necessary.

The problem with a brace is the plywood is very soft. So screwing into it doesn't gain you much. I'd use the wood brace with a dowel in the horizontal part and a screw through the wall into the brace. (It will be hidden by the plastic trim.)
Or a metal brace with machine screws, washers and nuts through both parts, but one of the screw heads will show. You can touch it up with tan paint, use a cap or just live with it knowing it's super strong!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	36906-01-1000.jpg
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	364449   Click image for larger version

Name:	tt-0107_4.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	364450  

Mollysdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:47 AM   #17
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
^
On #2 I believe you would be hard pressed filling these screw holes with wooden dowels. It might be better to just replace with a solid piece of hardwood.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fullsizeoutput_2d48.jpeg
Views:	6
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	364452  

Amanamus

Tahawus....🌥
Old 03-31-2020, 11:20 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
^
On #2 I believe you would be hard pressed filling these screw holes with wooden dowels. It might be better to just replace with a solid piece of hardwood.

Bob
����
If I understood the OP, the two pieces were joined with two dowels and two screws. First, glue and clamp to repair the split.
The larger holes are for the dowels. the screw holes are small.
Since they stripped out you need to fill them with something before reattaching them. Some people use toothpicks, I suggested shish kabob skewers. The idea is to fill the hole so the stock screw has some grip. (Screwing into the end grain is never the strongest, plugs would be better, but let's not re-invent the wheel)
The problem with replacing the overhead with hardwood is it will never match, and the OP will have to disassemble the other side, now expanding the problem. What's on the other side? The shower, no way to get to the screws. And he's still screwing into end grain. The dowels provide all the strength to hold the joint. Furniture uses them everywhere. But they need glue! Anyone who ever been to Ikea has experienced dowels. The ones for wood working have flutes for a good glue joint.

Yes, IMO smush a glob of Titebond into the crack, clamp firmly and I'll bet it looks like new. Use a decent wood clamp, not rubber bands or spring clamps. Wipe off the excess glue with a wet paper towels.

Admittedly, there's a lot of good ways to fix this, and all of them are probably better than what a dealer would do under warranty.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	81TqZ72sTtL._SX450_.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	364462   Click image for larger version

Name:	840014_prod.jpg
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	364463  

Name:	Z1t8JtpcpEx_.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	364464  
Mollysdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 10:39 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Here's my opinion.
Airstream did not use glue on the dowels when assembling the cabinet. Hurry, hurry.
It should have been plenty strong, and most people don't have their walls fall apart.
1. Use a good wood glue like Titebond or Gorilla. Squeeze some in the crack and clamp firmly. Let set for 24 hrs.
2. fill the screw holes on the horizontal part with a wooden dowel. (Since the screws stripped out) I find that even large bamboo skewers from the grocery might fit. Glue them in and shave flush.
3. Use the same wood glue to coat the dowels and reinsert tap flush.
4. As an extra brace, either an angle bracket inside the locker joining the two pieces or a hardwood corner brace.

I don't think attaching it to the aluminum is necessary.

The problem with a brace is the plywood is very soft. So screwing into it doesn't gain you much. I'd use the wood brace with a dowel in the horizontal part and a screw through the wall into the brace. (It will be hidden by the plastic trim.)
Or a metal brace with machine screws, washers and nuts through both parts, but one of the screw heads will show. You can touch it up with tan paint, use a cap or just live with it knowing it's super strong!
Hi, the only thing holding the left side of the cabinet up is the little horizontal top board and the horizontal bottom shelf. Just the weight of the television is too much without some form of vertical support. I would add at least two of the metal corner braces to the inside of the left cabinet side and the inside aluminum wall.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 03-31-2020, 11:06 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
I agree the wardrobe wall needs additional support.

But if you'd rather not attach it to the aluminum wall, either because of the hassle or because you want to retain the "float" of the wardrobe, you could instead cut additional (sold, real) wood cross pieces and place them along the top and back, connecting both sides of the wardrobe. This would add structural strength, especially if you avoid using composite wood, and secure them with both screws/dows and corner bracing. This also would maintain isolation of the wardrobe from the trailer wall and allow it to continue to float as the aluminum trailer wall flexes during transit.