Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-07-2020, 09:03 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Hail Damage Repair

My AS received extensive hail damage recently, damaging the entire roof including all the front and rear caps and the two long strips on each side of the white roof. My insurance company, I am in Canada, by the way, has come in with a ridiculous repair estimate of just over $21K CDN, even though I gave him the quote I received from AS. The labor on the estimate is more than what the repair estimate is from my insurance.

The other issue for me is, where to get it repaired. They have told me to take it to a local body shop of my choosing, lol! That is not going to happen.

My question to any of you Canadian owners who had body damage repairs done, where did you take it, and did they do a good job? I told the insurance company that due to the specialized nature of Airstreams, you could not just take them anywhere for body damage repair. We are waiting to see where that argument goes.

I have heard that if you are getting work done that is this extensive in nature, your best bet is to bring it to the AS factory. My insurance company apparently will not have it transported there, which is the only way to get it to AS given the border restrictions these days. So I am looking for anyone who has experience with any dealers in Canada who are capable of doing multiple panel replacement.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 05:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewarden View Post
My AS received extensive hail damage recently, damaging the entire roof including all the front and rear caps and the two long strips on each side of the white roof. My insurance company, I am in Canada, by the way, has come in with a ridiculous repair estimate of just over $21K CDN, even though I gave him the quote I received from AS. The labor on the estimate is more than what the repair estimate is from my insurance.

The other issue for me is, where to get it repaired. They have told me to take it to a local body shop of my choosing, lol! That is not going to happen.

My question to any of you Canadian owners who had body damage repairs done, where did you take it, and did they do a good job? I told the insurance company that due to the specialized nature of Airstreams, you could not just take them anywhere for body damage repair. We are waiting to see where that argument goes.

I have heard that if you are getting work done that is this extensive in nature, your best bet is to bring it to the AS factory. My insurance company apparently will not have it transported there, which is the only way to get it to AS given the border restrictions these days. So I am looking for anyone who has experience with any dealers in Canada who are capable of doing multiple panel replacement.

Look into taking to the US Canadian border, have transporter pick it up there, and deliver it to AS Jackson Center. If the border is open to just the trailer.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:25 PM   #3
Silver Condo III

2015 30' International
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Can-am rv

Hi there. Our 2012 28' International Serenity had an ugly encounter with a grapefruit tree in Arizona. The sun shade on the front was bent in half and there was a large dent in the front cap. In addition there were scrapes and scratches all down the curb side of the trailer.

I took it to SGI and they said it would cost about $2700 to repair. I called up CAN-AM in London, ON and was told that the parts alone would be in the 5-7 T range!. SGI agreed to CAN-AM's estimate (given by looking at detailed photographs). The final bill was around 15T. We took it down to London and you can't tell that there was ever any damage.

I would highly recommend them. A big plus - you don't have to cross the border!

Good Luck!
Old 08-08-2020, 10:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamadeca View Post
Hi there. Our 2012 28' International Serenity had an ugly encounter with a grapefruit tree in Arizona. The sun shade on the front was bent in half and there was a large dent in the front cap. In addition there were scrapes and scratches all down the curb side of the trailer.

I took it to SGI and they said it would cost about $2700 to repair. I called up CAN-AM in London, ON and was told that the parts alone would be in the 5-7 T range!. SGI agreed to CAN-AM's estimate (given by looking at detailed photographs). The final bill was around 15T. We took it down to London and you can't tell that there was ever any damage.

I would highly recommend them. A big plus - you don't have to cross the border!

Good Luck!
Thank you very much!
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote