Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-20-2020, 11:18 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Dallas , Texas
Guidance Needed 2016 Rear Body Work

Greetings Fellow Airstreamers,

Last night after a week long trip in AR, we were side swiped by a Camaro just 4 miles from our home in Dallas. It was hit and run and before we new what happened, the vehicle sped away and exited to another major highway before we had a chance to grab the license plate. I was with my wife, and 6 year old son, so there was no chance of chasing them down and politely asking for their insurance.

Our poor rig just recently came out of the shop (better part of 6 months) at Vogt RV in Ft. Worth, where 4 panels were overlaid along with a main awning replacement for a self inflicted mishap down in South TX. Damage covered by state farm to tune of 32k. I am sad to say this was the 2nd Zip Dee awning replacement. So we purchased this unit in May 2018 and I am about to have my third claim in less than 2 years. Vogt did use the olympic rivets for the overlay.

My question for the experts within this community is this: Would you take the rig to JC to get the panel(s) replaced or just save the drive and have local AS dealer (Vogt) do another panel overlay? Key note is that the original 4 panels that were overlaid is not what got damaged last night. It is also worth noting that the subfloor underneath the protective rear curved bumper, is cracked and exposed, albeit not severely.

I have read the arguments on both sides vs the different rivets and am still at a toss up. At the end of the day, I just want what is best for the coach and the work to be performed by the best technicians.

I also have some additional items that I would like fo them to take care of as well. One being the water mixing valve in the shower that prevented me from taking an even luke warm shower for the past 6 days. The shower hole to get the valve out is too small so the airstream fix is going to remove the entire back wall to get to the replace the valve.

Thank you all in advance for any guidance that you can provide. Stay safe and Godspeed to all, Fidel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6635.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	363597   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6634.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	253.9 KB
ID:	363598  

Name:	IMG_6624.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	327.5 KB
ID:	363599   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6629.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	235.4 KB
ID:	363601  

Name:	IMG_6640.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	264.9 KB
ID:	363602  
feathrmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 05:10 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
I’m a big fan of JC. Call them and see what their turn around time is and the earliest they can get you in. It’s a long haul that may be out of the question once you know those factors.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote