Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-29-2016, 08:09 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Raleigh , North Carolina
Gray water drain?

I'm the new owner of a 1969 21 Globetrotter. My first travel trailer. I'm also on my first camping trip.

When dry camping, the gray water from kitchen backs up through the shower floor. I don't have a gray water tank, only a black water tank.

The drain piping from sink and shower lead back to the same place where I dump the black water tank, but it does not appeared designed that the the gray water would go into that tank.

I emptied the black water tank to see if gray water would flow into it, but the sink water still came right up through the shower drain.

Is there something I'm missing here?

should there be a separate valve that lets me drain gray water onto the ground or in bucket? If so, I can't find it.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Mark
Mwkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:23 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You will need to remove the termination cap, and let the grey water drain into a purpose-made portable tank, or into the sewer connection at the campsite if there is one. I am pretty sure it is illegal in all 50 states to simply dump grey water onto the ground.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:33 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Raleigh , North Carolina
Thanks for heads up on law.

The termination cap, where would I look for it? Perhaps need to remove a section of belly?
Old 02-29-2016, 08:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
The grey water and black water drain out of the same dump valve. Should be located at the rear of the trailer. Go here and download the PDF manual for 1969, then go to part 9 and read that section on the sewage system. Should have everything you need.
https://www.airstream.com/service/ma...ear_select=877
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:21 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Raleigh , North Carolina
Thanks for the insight and link to manual.

Turns out plugging the bathroom drain allows sink gray water to flow into the tank.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:35 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Yes, that's exactly what it does. Learned it the hard way with my own trailer the first time I used it. Get yourself a blue boy tote and you'll be all set.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote