Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2014, 04:21 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Cincinnati , Ohio
Gettting the right ladder

Just got our 25' '86 Sovereign and would be interested in folks thoughts on the purchase of a ladder to reach the roof. Any suggestions with an eye on best value.
Ssmookler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Any one that will reach the roof and safely carry your weight. Brand is not important.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
They have small folding ladders at Camping World.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Some might consider this more than necessary. However, I always carry one of these in the bed of our truck when camping. There are also less expensive spinoffs available. I am very careful about placement and padding if I place against the skin of the trailer.

Telesteps 1600E 12.5-Feet Extension Ladder - Telescoping Ladders - Amazon.com

This case is also convenient.

http://www.amazon.com/Telesteps-106X..._bxgy_hi_img_y

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:27 PM   #5
Firedog1

2018 30' Classic
Woodbridge Connecticut & , Venice Florida
ladder

I use the same telescoping ladder that ken has. I have a couple of the foam noodles that kids use in the pool to put on ladder for padding. works good
Sold but not forgotten: 2005 Classic 25 Limited
2015 Classic 30 RB
Firedog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:29 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Cincinnati , Ohio
Thanks a lot. Looked at some of the telescoping ladders at Amazon.com and a number of them fit the requirements.
I love the air forum !!!
Old 10-01-2014, 06:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Any one that will reach the roof and safely carry your weight. Brand is not important.

I would like to respectfully offer an alternative opinion.
An Airstream (as far as RVs go) is fairly fragile but yet expensive to repair. I believe that the more inexpensive ladders need to be very carefully inspected and tested for unintended movements, tendency to collapse, and sharp edges that may scratch the trailer if unintentional movement does occur.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:36 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Cincinnati , Ohio
Firedog
The idea of using the kid foam noodles is a good one and should minimize scratches to the AS.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:38 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Cincinnati , Ohio
Good caution Ken on a cheaper ladder. There are several listed in Amazon in the 175-250 range that have very good customer reviews and fit the bill.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
We like the telescoping / collapsing type for ease of storage ...the good ones are not inexpensive ! Get it at a hardware store ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:07 AM   #11
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Any safe ladder should meet the ANSI requirements:
Quote:
ANSI consensus standards on portable ladders include ANSI A14.1-2007 for wood ladders, ANSI A14.2-2007 for metal ladders and ANSI A14.5-2007 for reinforced plastic ladders. These standards detail the various materials, construction requirements, test requirements, usage guidelines and labeling/marking requirements for portable ladders.
According to each of these standards, any ladder that meets the standards will have a label that says so, and will have a label that clearly identifies the weight capacity of the ladder.

For extension ladders, the weight capacity only is correct if the foot of the ladder is placed ¼ the distance from the ground to the contact point at the top. So if your trailer is 10 feet tall the foot of the ladder needs to be placed 2½ feet from the side of the trailer.

As an aside, any ladder you buy at ACE Hardware is likely to meet ANSI standards. A ladder you buy at Camping World isn't.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:09 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Safety first. Some people seem to base quality on price alone.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:17 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Any safe ladder should meet the ANSI requirements:
According to each of these standards, any ladder that meets the standards will have a label that says so, and will have a label that clearly identifies the weight capacity of the ladder.

For extension ladders, the weight capacity only is correct if the foot of the ladder is placed ¼ the distance from the ground to the contact point at the top. So if your trailer is 10 feet tall the foot of the ladder needs to be placed 2½ feet from the side of the trailer.

As an aside, any ladder you buy at ACE Hardware is likely to meet ANSI standards. A ladder you buy at Camping World isn't.
Pro's angle of ladder setup is a standard, but if you utilize the awning roller to lean the ladder against, you are well outside the recommendation. I have started leaning the ladder on the heavy rear BR rain gutter, with foam protection. Does anybody see a problem with this? What concerns me is the rib and stringer construction in this area. I see no flexing of the skin or window frame, but it still worries me a bit. Ladder feels better though!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:43 AM   #14
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
All these ladder questions, brings up my question of can I safely climb up on and sit on my roof to remove, strip and reseal my various vents? I'm a light weight at 120lbs but am not sure if and where it is safe to be on the roof (but I am smart enough to avoid the endcaps)...

I am re-doing the floor on one of my girls now, the '69 safari...Finishing of the re-sealing of her is my goal for her this weekend. I've got all the windows done but I want to hit everything to make sure she's done right. My new stove pipe vents arrived from V.T.S. yesterday but they are out of stock on the stove hood scoops so I'll have to get to that one later. Luckily the refrigerator scoop is in great condition still

Any tips and tricks for me oh wise ones?
thesignlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:45 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Just keep to the rivet lines while walking. I usually take a piece of 3/4" plywood, long enough and wide enough to bridge rib rivet lines to sit/kneel on.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:55 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssmookler View Post
...purchase of a ladder to reach the roof. Any suggestions with an eye on best value.
You don't specify whether you are looking for a ladder to take with you on the road, or whether you are looking for one to use at home. Unless you'll be gone for trips for extended periods of time I don't think you need to consider bringing one on the road.

If you are looking for a good ladder to use at home, I give two thumbs up to the ladders from the Little Giant line https://www.littlegiantladder.com/. They are not the cheapest, but since I value safety, flexibility, strength, and a life-time warranty I think they make the best ladder for the price.

Buy a few pool noodles too, and you'll be set to go.
Airrogant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:02 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Personally I think the risk of slipping or tripping off the roof is to great for working up there. At least for me. I can reach most of it from ladders on the sides, I just installed a vent cover between the two factory solar panels. The Factory Service Center said they couldn't do it because it wouldn't fit, but it did.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:09 PM   #18
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Personally I think the risk of slipping or tripping off the roof is to great for working up there.
One thing that might be worth considering is to use a bathtub mat on the roof of your Airstream when one has to work up there. With the suction cubs on the back, it ought to grip the roof well, and provide more traction than bare metal. But I haven't tried it myself, so I can't really say that it works. It was just a passing thought that I figured I shold write down before I forget.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:44 PM   #19
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
Awesome tips guys thank you, and I like the idea using a bath mat for traction particularly for the first step to get onto the roof. I will keep low and have a spotter ☺
thesignlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:34 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
formerly of Tustin, Huntington Beach, Dana Point, and Laguna Beach , California
thesignlady brings up a point I was asking my dealer and that was can I get on the roof of my 28' International to wax it? He recommended I don't get on the roof as it isn't very strong as far as weight upon it goes. So just how do Airstreamers wax their roof?
westcoastas is offline   Reply With Quote