Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-06-2009, 12:35 PM   #1

1969 23' Safari
Sabetha , Kansas
General ?s for Renovating 1969 Safari!

Hello, I just registered and have some general questions about doing some minor restoration to our 1969 Airstream Safari!

Background: My grandparents purchased the Safari 4 years ago with the intent to fix it up and use it; we are a big outdoor/camping family. However, it has sat there in the shed for the last four years and I've decided to take on the challenge of seeing this project through! I refuse to let such a gem sit and collect dust.

#1. I know next to nothing about RVs...Is it worthwhile to take my airstream to any RV repair shop?, or, should I find the nearest place that deals with/repairs Airstreams?
#2. Where can I purchase manuals for this Airstream?
#3. Is there somewhere online to purchase vintage airstream parts? Example: I've been told that the windscreen? on the front window is damaged/beyond repair and a new one is needed before hauling long distances. Any help?

-would adding pictures help??

If anyone can offer sound advice for these questions, or anything else, it would be a great start! Thank you!!
WTRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 01:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
A couple of places to get parts
Vintage Trailer Supply - Vintage travel trailer parts and supplies!
Inland RV Center - The Nations Leading Expert in Airstream Innovations

Do you know what is wrong with it?

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:08 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Greetings WTRanch!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstreaming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTRanch View Post
Hello, I just registered and have some general questions about doing some minor restoration to our 1969 Airstream Safari!

#1. I know next to nothing about RVs...Is it worthwhile to take my airstream to any RV repair shop?, or, should I find the nearest place that deals with/repairs Airstreams?
Your options regarding a shop specializing in Airstreams are rather limited as Kansas no longer has an Airstream dealer nor an authorized sevice center. There are respected Airstream dealers and/or service centers in Wentzville, MO and Cedar Falls, Iowa that are Vintage friendly, but either one would be quite a tow from Sabetha. There is one dealer in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma and three dealers in Colorado; but I don't know about their interests in working on Vintage coaches.

Depending upon what you want a shop to do, an independent shop that isn't afraid to approach an Airstream repair is often acceptable. Most of the RV appliances and accessories are industry standard brands and models so service is not Airstream specific. Since I have moved several hundred miles from my favored Vintage Friendly Airstream dealer, I have been having much of my basic maintenance/repairs performed by a nearby independent shop that is ready, willing, and able to work on my coach if I can provide assistance in locating any unusual parts that may be needed.

Quote:
#2. Where can I purchase manuals for this Airstream?
Service manuals for Airstreams wouldn't become available for Airstreams until the early 1970s, so the only published manual would be the owners' manual for your coach. Copies of these manuals are available through the Airstream store as well as through Secretarial Services.

Quote:
#3. Is there somewhere online to purchase vintage airstream parts? Example: I've been told that the windscreen? on the front window is damaged/beyond repair and a new one is needed before hauling long distances. Any help?
There are two companies specializing in on-line Airstream parts:There are also several Airstream dealers that have parts available on their websites. You can always check with your closest Airstream dealers' website to see if they offer parts via the web --- some do while others do not.

You have received good advice regarding the front rock guard. The wing windows either side of the center front window are very difficult to find for a 1969 as that was the only year that style of wing window was utilized.

Quote:
-would adding pictures help??
When inquiring about a particular part or repair, photos are always helpful.

Good luck with your project!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:59 AM   #4

1969 23' Safari
Sabetha , Kansas
thank you!

Thank you all for your very helpful and thorough responses. I recently got back from a two week trip, so I am just now getting a chance to reply. I will start doing some research...thank you for the helpful leads. I hope to be posting pictures soon, as soon as I learn how Thank you for the info and some more inspiration!
WTRanch is offline   Reply With Quote