Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2019, 04:55 PM   #1

2002 28' Classic
Floral City , Florida
Furnace and water ?

On a 2002 Classic 28 my furnace will not light and fan wont come on. The thermostat is in the bed room.
Also, where is the low point drain on this trailer?
Just bought it 3 days ago.
LadyLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 08:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLiberty View Post
On a 2002 Classic 28 my furnace will not light and fan won’t come on. The thermostat is in the bed room.
Also, where is the low point drain on this trailer?
Just bought it 3 days ago.

Hi Lady Liberty, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new Airstream

Your owner's manual should tell you where the low point drain is. Ours in at the R/R corner where the outside storage is. Valves are inside the storage on the right side.

If your propane is empty the furnace won't light. If you have propane but haven't turned it on for a while try turning on the stove to get the gas flowing.

If you set the thermostat to "fan only" and you have no fan, then there is definitely a problem. I would start checking fuses in the fuse box.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 09:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
There are several reasons a furnace won't light. I would start with the thermostat. Turn the furnace on at the thermostat. Does the fan come on or do you hear any clicks in the furnace. If not take off the thermostat and cross the 2 wires that go to the thermostat. Does that start your furnace? If not you may have a bad thermostat and you are lucky you have an easy fix. The other causes are a bit more difficult to diagnose such as thermocouple, circuit board, sail switch, limit switch, etc. There also may be a gas line petcock. Problem could also be a bad propane regulator.

There should be more than one low point drains. I don't know 2002 but I would guess 1 in the rear and 2 in the galley area. You may also have a hot water tank bypass valve.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:09 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Leander , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post

If your propane is empty the furnace won't light. If you have propane but haven't turned it on for a while try turning on the stove to get the gas flowing.

Turn on the stove and light it!

Works for my '01 Classic.

John
TexAirS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 10:09 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
We had a mobile rv service come work on our furnace this year. Bugs had put stuff in the burner or outlet. Plus the gas line from the regulator was collapsed internally. Our fan did come on and the furnace tried to work but did not light.

Previously we have had 2 bad thermostats the kept the furnace from working.

The mobile service guy pulled the furnace and hooked it up to a battery and propane tank on the tailgate of his truck and got it working well. Then he replaced it in the Airstream and worked on the Airstream supply system until he found the issue.

I do not know how close Floral City is to Dade City, but the mobile service we use is The Toy Doctor. Probably several others in this area. Much better service than trying to go to a shop.

It does sound like you could have a bad thermostat or wiring issue.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 11:01 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
On my 2002 Classic 30 the thermostat in the bedroom is for the overhead vent fan. The furnace is on the same thermostat as the AC, located on the wall at the refrigerator. I have to set the MODE to FURNACE to get the furnace. The thermostat will cycle through the available modes each time you push the MODE button. If your unit has a heat pump, HEAT PUMP will show on the display too. My options are OFF, FAN ONLY, COOL, HEAT PUMP, and FURNACE.

If you don't have a manual for your trailer, one is available for download at the Airstream web site under the OWNERS tab.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote