Originally Posted by GSP9
Noticed a small leak inside the front of our 2013 International. Traced the leak to the middle front window stone guard. The top of the stone guard is attached to the trailer by 5 stainless steel screws. Looks like the screw closest to the street side had been over tightened and was not snugging up. In addition, the seal/gasket behind this screw was in poor condition and the combination of the two was allowing water to get in. I ended up taking the stone guard off and the bracket that holds it to the trailer. My question is, what type of gasket material or caulk is used between the trailer and this bracket? It almost felt like plumbers putty because it was still pretty malleable in my hands. I have Sikaflex 221 that I would run a bead across the top once the bracket is attached again but just need to know what goes between the bracket and the trailer. Or could I just run apply a healthy bead of Sikaflex 221 between the two and when the bracket gets attached the excess would squeeze out when the five screws get tightened down?
That "gasket material" you are describing sound like butyl rubber tape.
IMO, the proper way is to remove the whole hinge clean off the old sealant then reseal the entire top surface where hinge meets skin. It is not difficult. I have done it a few times. I used Trempro 635 across the top and in each screw hole as each screw is installed. I did not use anything in between as a gasket.
ODM published this video of a rock guard installation on their website. This will show you how to disassemble the hinge to make it a lot easier. Note that they used Parrbond sealant.
Where the screw hole is enlarged, if the edges are pulled outward, shaped like a cone, I have had success reducing the diameter, slightly closing the hole, by tapping gently around the perimeter of the screw hole with a nailset until the cone is pushed down. Don't hammer hard, be gentle.