Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-02-2012, 02:21 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2010 19' Flying Cloud
1969 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Bradford , Vermont
Front motorized jack on 2010 Flying Cloud just stopped

I'm buying a 2010 19-ft. Flying Cloud, planning to pick it up tomorrow. Was testing the hook up to my car, the Barker Hi-Jack 3000 worked perfectly; I raised the tongue of the Airstream, backed the car up, lowered it onto the ball; then it just stopped running. So the airstream was stuck on my ball, and I couldn't get it up. Actually had to use my car jack to get it off the ball.

Any idea what may be wrong with it? I want to pick up the Airstream, but now am stuck.
quoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
If it was not hooked up to your tow vehicles electric then the first thing I'd check is the batteries in the trailer. Sounds like you ran out of juice.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Other than the flat batt, there is either an inline fuse for the jack (which I think is the case on a FC) or a breaker in the 12V "fuse" panel which could be blown/tripped. The other thing to check if a fuse/breaker issue is a potential pinch point for the power supply to the jack at the aluminum LP bottle cover (again if a FC has one) right at the jack post base.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
I believe there should be a manual crank as well just for such occasions.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:43 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2010 19' Flying Cloud
1969 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Bradford , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
If it was not hooked up to your tow vehicles electric then the first thing I'd check is the batteries in the trailer. Sounds like you ran out of juice.
Thing is, it was hooked up to the tow vehicle when it stopped running. I'm sure the batteries in the AS are dead (it hasn't been used in 6 months), but I thought the power from the tow vehicle would run the jack even with dead AS batteries.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:02 PM   #6
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
Can you hook it up to shore power?
WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
There is a fuse in the wire between the battery and the jack...it's near the tongue street side below the propane tank area (on our 06 19') . Out jack suddenly stopped once; the fuse holder had come apart and the fuse fell out on the ground, so the jack wouldn't work. Put the fuse back in and all was well. I'd check that first.

To prevent wiring from wearing through and shorting from the bottom edge of the propane tank cover rubbing against it, I got a piece of clear plastic tubing, sliced it open lengthwise and slid it over the wiring, securing the tubing in a few places with black electrical tape. I didn't wrap it completely with tape so that it would not hold water.

I am not so sure the jack will work off the tow vehicle's battery if the trailer battery is compromised.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2010 19' Flying Cloud
1969 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Bradford , Vermont
Thanks everyone for all the help with this. After charging the battery with shore power, the jack worked fine.