Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2022, 10:04 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
DFW , Texas
Front Compartment Rivet Size

I've had 3 rivets pop on the edge of our front storage compartment following a wind storm. Can anyone point me in the right direction for what type/size rivet I need to use to replace them?

Thanks!
hawkspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 06:31 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Kingston , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkspur View Post
I've had 3 rivets pop on the edge of our front storage compartment following a wind storm. Can anyone point me in the right direction for what type/size rivet I need to use to replace them?

Thanks!

Sorry I canít help with your question, but this does seem possibly related to the concerns over the structural integrity of the front compartment in other active threads. A recent post has a schematic that might specify rivets for a model similar to yours.
rufusd7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 07:58 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
DFW , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusd7 View Post
Sorry I canít help with your question, but this does seem possibly related to the concerns over the structural integrity of the front compartment in other active threads. A recent post has a schematic that might specify rivets for a model similar to yours.

Can you point me in the direction of the relevant thread?
Old 07-22-2022, 08:35 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Tualatin , Oregon
Forum user starlite29 posted some great photos showing the area of interest:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f44...ck-233124.html

I also noticed some sheared heads at the lower corners of our forward storage locker. Iíve had an unsatisfying exchange with Airstream Support trying to get the specification for the original solid rivet that holds the flange to the shell. I was trying to determine if these particular rivets extended into a structural angle or not. Support recommended Olympic rivets as a replacement (but they were out of stock). Iím not convinced the split bodies of the Olympic rivet are up to the task at this location. Olympics are pretty but if the head sheared off a solid rivet I think Iím looking for something stronger.

Iím waiting on my order from RivetsOnline.com, I ordered PR58ASPAA,5/32Ē with a grip length up to .500Ē

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rivet Driver Side.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	277.2 KB
ID:	419824   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rivet Passenger Side.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	282.1 KB
ID:	419825  

Click image for larger version

Name:	RivetsOnline.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	419826  
TitusNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 08:52 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusNW View Post

Iím waiting on my order from RivetsOnline.com, I ordered PR58ASPAA,5/32Ē with a grip length up to .500Ē

Steve
Great info. Curious how you're going to seal them?
starlite29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 09:02 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Tualatin , Oregon
A dab of sealant on the surface of the body when inserted. The mandrel is captured by the rivet body so it won't leak but as it's steel, I'll dab a bit of sealant over the rivet head after the rivet is "pulled". I will also consider a small o-ring under the head of the rivet before insertion as a sealing option.

There are plenty of "bulbtite" rivets available online but with the stresses in this location and the concerns of front end separation, this is my current plan.

Steve
TitusNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 12:44 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
DFW , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusNW View Post
Forum user starlite29 posted some great photos showing the area of interest:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f44...ck-233124.html

I also noticed some sheared heads at the lower corners of our forward storage locker. Iíve had an unsatisfying exchange with Airstream Support trying to get the specification for the original solid rivet that holds the flange to the shell. I was trying to determine if these particular rivets extended into a structural angle or not. Support recommended Olympic rivets as a replacement (but they were out of stock). Iím not convinced the split bodies of the Olympic rivet are up to the task at this location. Olympics are pretty but if the head sheared off a solid rivet I think Iím looking for something stronger.

Steve
Interestingly, I'm missing the exact 3 rivets just on opposite sides.
Old 07-22-2022, 12:47 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Vashon Island , Washington
TitusNW,
I had the same two rivets on the street side corner of the front compartment pop on mine as well (25' FC fbt). The dealer replaced them with Olympic rivets which also popped out shortly thereafter. Also, the sealant directly below looked like it was cracking or separating between the panel and the belt line. I emailed Airstream support with photos and asked what the is going on here? Here's what they said:

I am sorry you are having this issue. I suggest contacting our dealer and let them know that the issue is not resolved and the rivets have popped back out. For the sealant, that is Acryl-R bead sealant. For this I would suggest getting a can and applicator of your own, as sealants are the responsibility of the owner of the unit, and most commonly does not fall into warranty repairs. I have included a link to the product you will need for the seal. Let me know if I can do anything else for you. Have a good day.

I replied back telling him that the unit was new as of February and the sealant should still be good, and asked if this is a sign of front end separation. He said that my trailer is not showing signs, as the panel usually creases at the corners of the door before any rivets pop. I'm suspicious because I think if the rivets hadn't popped then the panel would have creased.
AlIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 09:36 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Titus,
I see you're still under warranty. I recommend you make this a trip to dealer or better yet, Jackson Center for rivet replacement; since it could be part of a bigger issue i.e. front end integrity.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 09:54 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlIslander View Post
TitusNW,
I had the same two rivets on the street side corner of the front compartment pop on mine as well (25' FC fbt). The dealer replaced them with Olympic rivets which also popped out shortly thereafter. Also, the sealant directly below looked like it was cracking or separating between the panel and the belt line. I emailed Airstream support with photos and asked what the is going on here? Here's what they said:

I am sorry you are having this issue. I suggest contacting our dealer and let them know that the issue is not resolved and the rivets have popped back out. For the sealant, that is Acryl-R bead sealant. For this I would suggest getting a can and applicator of your own, as sealants are the responsibility of the owner of the unit, and most commonly does not fall into warranty repairs. I have included a link to the product you will need for the seal. Let me know if I can do anything else for you. Have a good day.

I replied back telling him that the unit was new as of February and the sealant should still be good, and asked if this is a sign of front end separation. He said that my trailer is not showing signs, as the panel usually creases at the corners of the door before any rivets pop. I'm suspicious because I think if the rivets hadn't popped then the panel would have creased.

Looks like they were left out intentionally, maybe to provide some movement to prevent some sort of stress.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 09:58 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Just an FYI, the solid shank rivets that Airstream uses are what is called an "A" rivet. The alloy is 1100 aluminum which is pretty close to pure aluminum which is the softest aluminium rivets available. They are not considered structural in my aviation world..

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X90F using Airstream Forums mobile app
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote