Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2022, 08:12 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2021 27' Flying Cloud
brookshire , Texas
Fridge causing inside temp gauge to heat up

We have kept our rig plugged in when stored. Our fridge runs all the time (this is what we did for twenty years with our last reg). We went in the rig to prepare for an upcoming trip. We turned the AC on and noticed that the indicated indoor temp was 94 degrees. This was not right as we have a manual temp gauge. When we investigated, we noticed that the wall where the interior gauge was is the fridge wall. It was warm. I do believe this is a design flaw.

However, this begs the question, should we keep the fridge on while storing?
Kriswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 08:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriswin View Post
We have kept our rig plugged in when stored. Our fridge runs all the time (this is what we did for twenty years with our last reg). We went in the rig to prepare for an upcoming trip. We turned the AC on and noticed that the indicated indoor temp was 94 degrees. This was not right as we have a manual temp gauge. When we investigated, we noticed that the wall where the interior gauge was is the fridge wall. It was warm. I do believe this is a design flaw.

I don't. Mine is propane but even if it wasn't, I'd leave it off with door cards installed to ensure that the inside doesn't get moldy. I guess that you could argue both ways being that household fridges run 24/7. - Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 09:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Our AS is plugged in during storage but fridge is off, door propped open.
Fungus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 03:34 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2021 27' Flying Cloud
brookshire , Texas
I guess the second question is about the heat the fridge is putting off to make our temp gauge say it is hotter than it is in the rig. Is that a normal happening? or is our fridge getting hotter than it should.

kw
Kriswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 07:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
I guess the second question is about the heat the fridge is putting off to make our temp gauge say it is hotter than it is in the rig. Is that a normal happening? or is our fridge getting hotter than it should.

kw
I've seen a couple threads complaining about that "feature" so it does seem to be "normal" in some models. I believe one of the people with that problem said they just unfastened the sensor, pulled it out a bit and let it hang away from the wall (at least as a temporary solution).
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 05:22 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Where is the thermostat/temp sensor in relation to the fridge? Do they share a wall? If they are close, it would make sense that the heat from the fridge would effect the temperature reading. The fridge is certainly going to heat the trailer up some when it is on, but since you are not opening the door when it is in storage I would not think the compressor is running very often.

I leave my fridge off with the door propped open in storage. Some people say if you leave it running all the time you're just wasting energy and unnecessarily wearing out the innards. I think it's just a matter of personal choice.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 06:43 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Our frig is off when not in use.
Old 03-29-2022, 09:31 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
I've seen a couple threads complaining about that "feature" so it does seem to be "normal" in some models. I believe one of the people with that problem said they just unfastened the sensor, pulled it out a bit and let it hang away from the wall (at least as a temporary solution).
Not quite the same, but my CCC (1) thermostat is on that wall. It was inaccurate by almost 5*, due to the heat from the fridge compartment providing false inside ambient temp. When I had the fridge out for a cooling unit replacement, I lined the wall with bubble foil insulation (not enough clearance between fridge and wall for anything thicker). The thermostat is now within 1* accuracy of inside trailer temp.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 10:35 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
Escondido , CA
Quote:

We lived in a 27' International Front bed for 3 years and never noticed any heat building up on the wall unless it was from the TV that hangs on that wall. It may be that we just didn't pay close of attention because the heating element is closest to the wall the TV is on, so I suppose it could be heating it up. Regardless, I too would recommend turning off the refrigerator and keeping the door ajar so it doesn't mold or age the heating element anymore than necessary.
dsatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 11:45 AM   #10

2021 25' International
Boerne , Texas
Same issue with 2021 International 25', The AS dealer I purchased from was unable to fix problem, they pulled out sensor, injected some calk, replaced sensor. I called AS customer support, spoke to someone that said they were familiar with problem and they sent me attached fix.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RemoteTempSensor.pdf (622.6 KB, 14 views)
jehemix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 12:18 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Woodway , Texas
AC Temp Awry Due to 'Fridge

The wall is poorly insulated from the fridge compartment and even with the prescribed fix, the temperature may still read high. What to do?

Remove the little louvered button and pull the wire out a little; the device connected to both ends of the wire is a solid state device called a thermistor which varies in resistance according to the ambient temperature.

You can clip the wire about 3" - 4" from the thermistor and either solder a 2' length of speaker wire to it or if you don't have access to a soldering iron/gun, simply use small wire nuts to connect both ends. The thermistor is non-polarized so don't worry about which wire went where. Additionally, it's a signal wire so there's no current flowing that might cause a shock while you work.

We simply put the wire behind the TV using zip ties and positioning the thermistor between the lower part of the set and the wall. Afterwards, the variance is only a few degrees, depending on shade, awning deployment, etc.

If you DO want to use AS's fix, you may want to mount everything on a 1/2" piece of Styrofoam to eliminate any heat transfer that might occur with thinner materials.
emelaich01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 01:14 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grapevine , Texas
Thermostat at Fridge wall reading

After six years of having the same "problem/reading" of the thermostat, we just set the AC temp about twenty degrees higher than desired for that part of the Airstream. Seems the fridge system just heats up the adjacent wall that much. Not a functional problem, just a bad install location for that unit.

We had to do some massive re-fit, during which the fridge got temporarily removed from the trailer. I had the technician re-locate the thermostat towards the "center" of the trailer, but on the same wall. No re-wiring required. Plugged the original hole, put the television back on that same wall, problem solved.

I would recommend the factory move the thermostat away from the heat of the fridge equipment in the future. Bad location in any case.

Also, we turn OFF the fridge and prop open both doors when not using the trailer, and/or when in storage.
tommyglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 01:36 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
I never have that problem. We have always kept our AS plugged in and the fridge running all year long. I'm not saying that is the correct way to go but this is our 4th AS over the years and it's never been a problem (yet!).
Happy camping.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 07:56 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
1999 30' Excella 1000
White Haven , Pennsylvania
Our 99 classic does the same thing. The ac thermostat reads 10 degrees high due to the fridge. We just compensate, but it's annoying.
Gkiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 09:41 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
I had a similar problem at home. Backside of thermostat wall were two flues coming from the basement furnace and water heater. Big fluctuations in room temp depending on whether the furnace and the water heater were running. Infrared thermometer revealed a warm wall. I moved the thermostat to a different wall (attic access). Problem solved. Both thermostats on the main floor were poorly located. The second one was near the middle of the other zone. So, it isnít just Airstream that struggles to get this right.

Putting a quarter-inch of space between the wall and the thermostat had helped a little but wasnít a complete fix.
Fungus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 12:34 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by emelaich01 View Post
The wall is poorly insulated from the fridge compartment and even with the prescribed fix, the temperature may still read high. What to do?

Remove the little louvered button and pull the wire out a little; the device connected to both ends of the wire is a solid state device called a thermistor which varies in resistance according to the ambient temperature.

You can clip the wire about 3" - 4" from the thermistor and either solder a 2' length of speaker wire to it or if you don't have access to a soldering iron/gun, simply use small wire nuts to connect both ends. The thermistor is non-polarized so don't worry about which wire went where. Additionally, it's a signal wire so there's no current flowing that might cause a shock while you work.

We simply put the wire behind the TV using zip ties and positioning the thermistor between the lower part of the set and the wall. Afterwards, the variance is only a few degrees, depending on shade, awning deployment, etc.

If you DO want to use AS's fix, you may want to mount everything on a 1/2" piece of Styrofoam to eliminate any heat transfer that might occur with thinner materials.
I'd suggest a 1/2" thick piece of anti-fatigue mat, Styrofoam is too brittle and can makes a mess.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote