Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-10-2021, 03:22 PM   #1
QE2
1 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
Estacada , Oregon
Fresh water tank

So. On the road home from Grand Tetons. At a rest stop we noticed 2 straps hanging from our Fresh water tank. Upon inspection, the bolts are missing probably came out along the way. Also about 3 other bolts missing as well. I found a loose bolt and went into nearest hardware store to get some replacements but found we could not screw them back in. We just can’t get them to thread into anything. Is there something I’m missing? On the road on a Sunday a long way from home.

Note - just realized that the straps go over the tank cover. Do these support the fresh water tank in any way? I emptied the fresh water but would like to have a little in the tank as it will take us 2 days to get home.
QE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 09:33 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1987 34' Limited
Hantsport , NS
On our ‘87 these self threading bolts affix the tank pans from the bottom into the frame mounting points. Old rusty is what came out and the new were as close as I could match at Fastenall. They have worked in the same holes with good bite. Never seize is recommended. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CD05CCAF-2181-40B0-8E89-024903825359.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	296.1 KB
ID:	406051  
Daytonacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 07:25 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2012 23' International
St. Francisville , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by QE2 View Post
So. On the road home from Grand Tetons. At a rest stop we noticed 2 straps hanging from our Fresh water tank. Upon inspection, the bolts are missing probably came out along the way. Also about 3 other bolts missing as well. I found a loose bolt and went into nearest hardware store to get some replacements but found we could not screw them back in. We just can’t get them to thread into anything. Is there something I’m missing? On the road on a Sunday a long way from home.

Note - just realized that the straps go over the tank cover. Do these support the fresh water tank in any way? I emptied the fresh water but would like to have a little in the tank as it will take us 2 days to get home.
I have the same issue on our 23d. How did you resolve the problem. I bought new bolts, but they don’t grab or tighten in any way. It “feels” like the bolts are screwing into very thin metal and likely stripped out. Any input you can provide would be much appreciated. Thanks.
GlasairIIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 07:35 PM   #4
QE2
1 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
Estacada , Oregon
Hi, I had to research what I did. I bought some Permatex 28206 6 mL Screw Glue Locks, 0.18 fl. oz on Amazon and special screws. I'll attach a link for both. I think i searched and searched the internet for answers. So far this glue and bolts worked well.
Permatex 28206 6 mL Screw Glue Locks, 0.18 fl. oz
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Steel Thread Cutting Screw, Zinc Plated Finish, Serrated Hex Washer Head, Slotted Drive, Type F, 3/8"-16 Thread Size, 1" Length (Pack of 10)
I hope the links work
QE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 02:06 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2012 23' International
St. Francisville , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by QE2 View Post
Hi, I had to research what I did. I bought some Permatex 28206 6 mL Screw Glue Locks, 0.18 fl. oz on Amazon and special screws. I'll attach a link for both. I think i searched and searched the internet for answers. So far this glue and bolts worked well.
Permatex 28206 6 mL Screw Glue Locks, 0.18 fl. oz
Steel Thread Cutting Screw, Zinc Plated Finish, Serrated Hex Washer Head, Slotted Drive, Type F, 3/8"-16 Thread Size, 1" Length (Pack of 10)
I hope the links work
Thank you so very much. Very helpful!!
GlasairIIS is offline   Reply With Quote