Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-21-2015, 08:03 PM   #1

1972 31' Sovereign
Panama City , Florida
Free 1972 Sovereign!! (Project)

Well, i just picked up a 1972 sovereign for free! It's been sitting for a few months at a friends property just waiting for me to take it. He finally wrote it over to me and I jumped right in. i plan on rebuilding it with a friend of mine for a good camping mobile we can hunt out of.

I need to sleep 4 grown men comfortably with plenty of room for hunting/fishing gear, what is the best layout to make that happen? its originally has the bathroom taking up the back but i was wondering if i could two bunk bed sets (4 twins) and move the toilet forward and detach it from the shower.

Is that possible? as in, would that be the best idea?

we're two guys in our early twenties fresh out of college, money is tight. just to keep that in mind.

also, it doesnt have a freshwater talk only blackwater. could i get away with one fresh and one black? or do i need "grey" water tank also?

currently in the process of ripping the floor up, should be up tomorrow.

Let me know what everyone thinks!

- Recooper

IMG_1958.MOV.mov

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1961.JPG.jpeg
Views:	135
Size:	708.5 KB
ID:	252644

Name:	IMG_1963.JPG.jpeg
Views:	141
Size:	718.9 KB
ID:	252645

Name:	IMG_2115.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	273.6 KB
ID:	252646
Recooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:17 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Dallas , Texas
I would go with double bunks over the wheel wells. It's hard to use that space for much else unless you seriously reengineer everything... ie drop lots of $ into it. You already have a bathroom in the rear with all the plumbing. Just fix what's broken on that.
Cardinal283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 10:50 PM   #3

1972 31' Sovereign
Panama City , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal283 View Post
I would go with double bunks over the wheel wells. It's hard to use that space for much else unless you seriously reengineer everything... ie drop lots of $ into it. You already have a bathroom in the rear with all the plumbing. Just fix what's broken on that.
Good thinking. what about flooring? is there a minimum width i should use for the plywood?

i know of atleast one window (one that doesnt have hinges) that leaks. do i have to undo all the rivets to get between the clear plastic on the inside and the glass to clean and reseal?
Recooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 11:57 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Dallas , Texas
The width should match the original width.

As far as your windows go I have an older model AS so my windows are different, and I also have custom made windows. I'm not sure what yours are like, but I'm sure there's many threads on repairing them.
Cardinal283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 01:34 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
There is an aluminum retaining ring sort of like a big cir-clip that retains the glass which is installed from the inside. There is at least one good thread in this forum about these windows. I would try to keep as much of the original cabinets as you can because I don't know of any other building material that is as strong with such light weight as the original material. Unless you count carbon fiber of course. Big freshwater and holding tanks are nice to have if you are going to tow the trailer out to the boonies. If it will stay on some land for the season as a base camp where you can have some improvements you can get by with just a black tank. Extra ground clearance is a must for a trailer this long if you get off paved roads. Bunk beds over the wheels are probably the best layout to use that space and the wood stove should go near the door so it's easy to bring in the wood. Fun project! Leland
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign