Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2018, 07:21 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waco , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photobum View Post
I went to close my black tank and could not do so. I bought a dozen liters of coca-cola and put it in my black tank. No good. Took it to my AS dealer and they pulled it apart to find a piece of yellow wire about fourteen inches long in the gate.

We then had a rather disputatious conversation about payment. I refused to pay as I donít excrete yellow wire in my daily ablutions. AS eventually did the right thing...

But I continue to wonder what else is in my tanks.
Thankfully; Airstream is not located in Louisiana. Or we would be seeing Alligators in some of those black tanks.😆😆😆
Martee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:09 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
Tell me about it...I couldn't agree more about the bad work habits.

I found a balled up McDonald's wrapper in my front umbilical poke through when I took the wooden cover panel off to add a subwoofer. If they can't be bothered to throw out a paper wrapper, or dispose of short waste cables properly, just think of what the heck might be floating around your rig that you don't know about.
What is the average salary of the men and women who build our Airstreams? Do they have full benefits, medical, dental, a retirement plan, etc? I find that bad morale often creates these kinds of problems in manufacturing. When people make minimum wage or barely above building items only the rich can afford, things they haven’t a prayer of ever owning, they do stuff like this. I may not approve, but as a person who was poor for the first 50 years of life, I completely understand. Until they at least feel valued by the owners of the company, expect it to continue.
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:55 PM   #23
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3wd67rg View Post
What is the average salary of the men and women who build our Airstreams? Do they have full benefits, medical, dental, a retirement plan, etc? I find that bad morale often creates these kinds of problems in manufacturing. When people make minimum wage or barely above building items only the rich can afford, things they havenít a prayer of ever owning, they do stuff like this. I may not approve, but as a person who was poor for the first 50 years of life, I completely understand. Until they at least feel valued by the owners of the company, expect it to continue.

Thanx for the Thank you message. I just try to help where I can.

BTW - I like your avatar pic too!

Best!
Tom
////////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:16 PM   #24
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
That was junk from during construction... surely not by disgruntled worker..

When cars were built by people, a friend had a MERCURY sedan.. nice car. When you turned to the left there was a thumping in the rear curb side trunk area..

The dealer worked on it for several days.. suspension, differential, motor mounts, etc..

The Body guy was walking through, overheard the discussion... walked to the car, opened the trunk, reached up inside under the rear roof pillar and pulled out a Coke bottle (remember those).. it was tied with some string and just dangled like a pendulum, moving back and forth.. occasionally hitting something metal (remember cars like that)...

Inside the bottle was a note... "Took you a while to find this, didn't it?"
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:52 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Paradise Valley , Arizona
Interesting. I have spent more time recently doing multiple washes of my black tank. Empty and then refill to 50% with wash water, then dump. I do this at least 3 times and have been amazed at how much solid waste and tp comes out in the 3rd or 4th wash. Clear 90 fitting is an absolute must.
xisme2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:20 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waco , Texas
I did check online. Airstream employees appear to earn an average $19.25 according to State of Ohio. That's far above the $8.50 minimum wage. Specifically: Airstream plumbers average salary appears to be $25.95 and average $28.60 for Electrical Design/installers. Aluminum metal fabricators make average $34.15 per hour. I assume metal fabricators assemble the inner and outer skin of the Airstream Trailer.

You can also check here:

https://www.payscale.com/research/US...am/Hourly_Rate

Therefore, the occasional sloppy cleanup must be mainly do to the fast and rapid pace of the Airstream assembly floor, and a few select workers who cut corners and dump debris in black tanks and other areas of the trailer.
Martee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:56 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2005 30' Classic
Keswick , Virginia
If you are in Ohio, go to Jackson Center and take the factory tour. It's quite impressive. Nice people doing a great job. Surely some things get missed. I know when I am doing projects on my trailer, it's hard to prevent dropped screws, clipped wires and sawdust from going into places you cannot get to.
Charlottesville, Virginia
gregwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:45 PM   #28
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregwall View Post
If you are in Ohio, go to Jackson Center and take the factory tour. It's quite impressive. Nice people doing a great job. Surely some things get missed. I know when I am doing projects on my trailer, it's hard to prevent dropped screws, clipped wires and sawdust from going into places you cannot get to.
Yup... when we pulled up our original carpet... it was a time capsule... whooooda thought they actually smoked while working inside...

Roger Miller's son... sounds a lot like his Pop...
https://youtu.be/UCR0_wgvGLU

"....Old stogies..." Yeah.. found one of those, too.. Just imagine your partially built AS with Roger Miller sitting outside the door singing this...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:58 PM   #29
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Drainage System

Here is the black and grey piping structure contained within the belly pan on my 2003 28' Safari. The white elements are the valves. The long radius turn, ABS DWV pipe segment empties the black tank. I suspect this design is quite similar to most units.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Safari 28 sewer tank piping.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	322314  

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:43 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Probably got accidently kicked in before toilet was mounted.

Coke cans, rags, wire, tools, birds, bird nests, paper, metal scrap are some of the things that are flushed out of building hydronics systems during commissioning. It happens.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote