Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-05-2008, 07:07 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Follow Us As We Remodel

Today we started ripping out the interior of our 76' 31' Sovereign. We are very excited to begin the remodel process.

When we removed the sleeper sofa that was in the living room we found a platform about 2" tall. My husband ripped it out to find it was a very poor attempt to cover up a very rotten sub floor. We removed it and tomorrow will lay a new sub floor in it's place.

I have started a blog at "AIRSTREAM REMODEL" if you would like to follow along as I document the process. Any and all feed back will be appreciated.
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 07:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
nice blog, guys. ummm.. that 'floor repair' that you mention may involve a whole lot more work than you realize, though. the floors are bolted to the frame and provide part of the structural strength of the trailer. you kinda have to remove a lot of stuff (belly, inside walls, fixtures, etc) to get the old ones out and new ones in. just a head's up, fyi, thing, not trying to freak you out or anything. I'm doing my bath floor and lemme tell ya it ain't no piece 'a cake! right now I'm fighting a hw heater removal...

if you search for 'floor repair' you'll find tons of good info. the legendary Pizzachop has fantastic photos of his work on floors. check 'em out.
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 07:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Kani,

We hope that you are able to book for the Branson rally, and have your trailer back together by then.

Steve
Old 01-05-2008, 07:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotochop
nice blog, guys. ummm.. that 'floor repair' that you mention may involve a whole lot more work than you realize, though. the floors are bolted to the frame and provide part of the structural strength of the trailer. you kinda have to remove a lot of stuff (belly, inside walls, fixtures, etc) to get the old ones out and new ones in. just a head's up, fyi, thing, not trying to freak you out or anything. I'm doing my bath floor and lemme tell ya it ain't no piece 'a cake! right now I'm fighting a hw heater removal...

if you search for 'floor repair' you'll find tons of good info. the legendary Pizzachop has fantastic photos of his work on floors. check 'em out.
TO LATE. . .YOU JUST FREAKED ME OUT!

Thank you so much for the heads up. I will check it out tonight and wake my husband up and tell him so he can worry about it. No since in both of us not sleeping tonight!
Old 01-05-2008, 07:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic
Kani,

We hope that you are able to book for the Branson rally, and have your trailer back together by then.

Steve
We plan no being there in April. Our Camper should be ready in a month or so . . I hope. . .that's the plan anyway.

The cabinet shop seems to think it won't take them long to do what we are going to do.

You can check out our blog at "AIRSTREAM REMODEL" to see and read what we plan to do and how we are coming along with her.

See you in April
Old 01-05-2008, 07:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Kani, another intrepid Missouri Airstream remodeler! Just one point, since you will be removing so much and replacing, please don't throw away parts if you have any way to store them. I see that you offer some in your post. You might continue this periodically in case an interested reader needs just what you are tossing. Also, you might advertise parts on our forum classifieds. Who knows?! ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 07:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
hi kani,

it sounds like you got your work cut out for you.

FYI, if you want more following of your process from forum members, i'd suggest you document the process here in the forums in the spirit of these threads;

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ons-35399.html

we'll all be able to follow along much more closely and you'll get lots of great feedback. good luck!

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 08:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfood
hi kani,

it sounds like you got your work cut out for you.

FYI, if you want more following of your process from forum members, i'd suggest you document the process here in the forums in the spirit of these threads;

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ons-35399.html

we'll all be able to follow along much more closely and you'll get lots of great feedback. good luck!
Good idea. I will do that.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:26 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76sovereign
TO LATE. . .YOU JUST FREAKED ME OUT!

Thank you so much for the heads up. I will check it out tonight and wake my husband up and tell him so he can worry about it. No since in both of us not sleeping tonight!
wait, don't freak out just yet ;-)

in fact, if all you have is that under-gaucho section of bad floor you might well be able to just pull the gaucho and lower wall section to get at the c-channel and slip a new lap-or-rabbet jointed piece of ply in there (dont use treated, it corrodes the aluminum etc) and you're golden. it's only when major sections have to be replaced (like my entire bathroom) that a more major removal is warranted. best of luck!
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote