Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-07-2020, 12:44 PM   #1

1991 29' Excella
Marshalltown , Iowa
Folding Step Problems

I have a 1991 29' Excella and the steps won't lock into position on one side when folded out. The notch has worn off in the open slot under the camper and some of the bolts are broken and coming loosed at the hinges. Has anyone fixed or replaced theirs?
Karzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 12:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I have read of people installing aftermarket steps. I use a folding platform which also has a bigger footprint. There is someone out there selling a brace for the bottom step. I got one, looks good but have not used it yet as my bottom step is now stuck in the stowed position. It is easy for the folding struts to get bent causing the lower step to bind.
Old 05-07-2020, 01:04 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New Hyde Park , New York
Karzman,
Search for forum member GMFL. He has the bottom step stick that might help you out.

2021 Ram 1500 Laramie - 5.7L Hemi eTORQUE

Airstream Club International #2600

I’d rather be camping is an understatement!
eagletoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 01:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagletoo View Post
Karzman,
Search for forum member GMFL. He has the bottom step stick that might help you out.
Just remembered GMFL stands for Green Monster Fishing Lights. There is also a website.
Old 05-07-2020, 01:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
It is sorta complicated. The steps run on a bolt that slides in a groove in the outriggers on each side of the steps. The outriggers are welded to the frame. So a good repair means taking the banana wrap off, cutting out an access port from the siding, cutting the old outriggers out, welding in new ones, putting in new sliding bolts, patching the al siding, and re installing the banner wrap. Not a terrible job but ... Blue sky and other places have the outriggers at about $60 each.

I did a redneck fix on ours a few years ago by drilling and grinding a slot into a 1/8" thick steel plate and bolting that plate to the outrigger than had the torn slot. Eventually I will fix it right....maybe.

Look at the parts at Blue Sky Rv to see what is involved. Depending upon how your slot is broken you might get away with some large washers on the back side of the outrigger. You will need to cut an access port to get to it.

My fix works and the steps lock in place solidly but not exactly straight or level. We carry a light weight step stool also. For lunch and one night stands with out unhooking we just use the stool. For longer stays or non level spots we put the steps down.

The original Al steps are worth saving. We also lend the stool to friends who have the steel steps fairly often.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 01:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Thumbs up

There is a post about this prob. that you have w/steps. I can't find it but person stated ground original slot where rounded back to original shape, then bolt that matches orig. ran nut on then ground threads left screwed nut off reinserted in step, only disassembly was bolt. poster is on forums a lot may he will post again or where orig. post is located. I also have this prob. I liked his fix, simple & easy w/out work of post 5.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 02:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
This may not be the thread you are looking for, but my repair quoted below is discussed in post #31.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f47...ll-193353.html

I had a recent problem due to poor lubrication (discussed in the thread) and loose hardware. It is important to keep the hardware tight and the moving parts lubricated. Since I tightened and lubricated everything the steps are working like new.

Quoting from the above thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the ponz
Thanks for the replies.

So I looked at the Out of Doors parts page and found the necessary hardware.

Cost to replace all hardware, $292.40 for 16 points of contact.

Has anyone found a more reasonable solution? I will be visiting my favorite hardware store later today.

Someone had replaced one of the bolts holding the steps to the outrigger on my trailer with a standard hex head bolt. Over time the nut loosened and the bolt wallowed out the end of the slot in the outrigger such that it would no longer hold. Following the suggestion of a repair post I found on here I ground out the end of the slot a little and bought the replacement part at the Salem rally from the Airstream booth. IIRC it was around $4. I had to bend out the bottom of the slot where it changed directions into the lock position to get the shoulder head bolt in and then beat it back into place.

I didn't go to the ODM web page, but an alternative might be found here:
https://www.mcmaster.com/shoulder-screws.

Al

End Quote

I used a conical grinder stone to restore the locking notch. So far, so good.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 03:56 PM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
There is a post about this prob. that you have w/steps. I can't find it but person stated ground original slot where rounded back to original shape, then bolt that matches orig. ran nut on then ground threads left screwed nut off reinserted in step, only disassembly was bolt. poster is on forums a lot may he will post again or where orig. post is located. I also have this prob. I liked his fix, simple & easy w/out work of post 5.
That would be me....

The original, original post. (same pic's though) 😂

That is a repost of the work done 9yrs ago now.👍

Bob
🇺🇸