Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-01-2015, 08:00 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Flag pole options for a Threefer?

I have a threefer (three pole) flag holder made by Sandlapper. I am now looking for options for the poles to go with it.

I know this topic has been discussed many times and yes, I have used the search function. However the majority of the threads are primarily about the holders with the poles as a secondary topic. So hopefully we can focus this one on the poles to be used in a jack mounted holder.

Looking for different options for the flag poles. I know that many buy the 6 to 12 foot painting extension pole from Lowes.

Any other options out there that merit consideration?

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 08:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
The True Value painter poles seem to be higher quality than the poles from Lowes.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 09:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We have Sandpaper's excellent flag pole holder and have been using painter's poles from Ace Hardware. They're good except flex a lot in heavier wind. Shortening the adjustment helps a little.

Also over time they began to wear the pole holder's holes slightly oblong, so we found some plastic shower rod sleeves, cut it into smaller sections and put them around the bottom of the poles.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 04:37 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
I use and recommend the aluminum, telescoping ''painter's poles'' made in Missouri by MrLongArm. Part #9272. They are plenty sturdy, inexpensive...about $14, and generally available locally. Shipping on any pole can get expensive. Lowes and HD both carry MrLongArm products, although many times they don't have the 9272 in stock. Try TruValue Hdwe, Menards, and local mom/pop stores. They are worth the search. They also have a nice nylon plug in the butt end that protects both pole and holder. All things considered, they offer the best solution.

The holes in the holder itself are machined oblong due to the angle the poles must enter. The more the angle, the more oblong.

Thanks everyone for the positive reviews of my holders.
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Has anyone used pool poles?
They telescope, but are light/thin walled.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 01:35 PM   #6
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
flag pole size and other recommendations

Verify the diameter of the holes in the holder. Most are 1". Some painter poles are 1 1/2" and won't fit. I made my own holder and use the heavier 1 1/2" 12' poles.

Buy the cheap printed nylon flags not he more expensive sewn ones. They are lighter weight, fly well in light winds and put less stress on the poles in high winds. Shorten the pole length if it is windy and don't go to town and leave them up if it might be. Same for the awning.

We had surprise 75 mph gusts of wind at Farmington, NM this summer which came up very quickly. We had a mad scramble to take down flags and awnings for other people who had gone to town on what had been a nice calm day.
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 02:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I generally won't "go to town" with the awning out due to the unexpected.
I guess this a good "rule of thumb" for flags as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 02:25 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Box Elder , SD
Well, as can seen in my avatar, we have used John Leake's excellent 5-pole holder for many years with no issues. With regard to flag poles, we initially tried John's recommendation regarding painter's poles from wherever. HOWEVER, for us spinning flagpoles work much better, especially with regard to windy, changing direction conditions.

Yes, they are somewhat more expensive, but they come in two parts and very easy to store behind the couch in the lounge, and ours still look great after more than 6 years.
streamintrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 02:48 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrolls View Post
Well, as can seen in my avatar, we have used John Leake's excellent 5-pole holder for many years with no issues. With regard to flag poles, we initially tried John's recommendation regarding painter's poles from wherever. HOWEVER, for us spinning flagpoles work much better, especially with regard to windy, changing direction conditions.

Yes, they are somewhat more expensive, but they come in two parts and very easy to store behind the couch in the lounge, and ours still look great after more than 6 years.
How about telling us a little more? In other words who makes them, is there a model number and who is the supplier? Could you share a photo?
Thanks

Air #64439
Old 12-02-2015, 03:24 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Flag Pole Options For A Threefer?

My son made our three flag holder & we use the Mr Long Arm telescoping poles and added the the spinning rings w/clips to hold the flags/banners. I think the rings/clips came from Amazon.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 03:45 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Flag poles

I will look for better pics but for now this is how our flag holder it started out

IMG_1880.JPG

IMG_1863.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	316
Size:	843.5 KB
ID:	253236   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	253237  

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Old 12-02-2015, 03:49 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Flag poles

Having connection problems so pics aren't cooperating
Hopefully you get the idea.

Old 12-03-2015, 05:10 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Nauvoo , Alabama
Thumbs up On the pole

May sound odd, but you warm my heart talking about flag poles.
If you have poles then you have flags and one of them is called "Ole Glory"
I spent 21 years defending the right to fly our flag and the flag of our friends. We defended your rights given to us by our Fathers and while any vet served, they gave up those rights. No freedom of speech and so on, but most did it with pride in our nation and the flag that represents that nation. The first thing I had put in on my property when I retired was a flag pole. Every morning it went up and every evening it came down. There are no true laws on flying our flag but there are acceptable rules and one is "If unlit, a flag should not fly in the dark" Yet in so many of our great camp grounds I see US flags out all night. If you do this, it is your right as an American but come on, if you are going to fly the flag with pride then have enough pride to light it up at night or take it down! I would rather see you fly the flag and not bring it in at night than to do what is the accepted rule. I know this about flag poles and not flags, but you have children or grand-children or you might be defending our right to fly the flag, those serving have giving up their rights so we all have our rights a free people and those they are defending us against want more than anything to remove those rights and our flag. They are few in number compared to the number that worship the same God we do using a different name for him that means the same as our English word for a creator of all there is, there was or will ever be. Please don't confuse the many with the few who the freedom and our way of life. I have fought side by side with many and they love freedom and desire freedom as much as you and I. Just last night the news was filled with a story of 14 dead and 17 wounded by a radical couple. Radical is the key word to remember and our history is full of "radical Christians" To day much of the world judges us for what some so called Christians killing every man woman and child in the Holy City when they took it a little over a thousand years ago and so they hate to this day. Those killed were not just Muslims, but Jews and Christian living in the city. That was not Christ like at all! Today some d the same and it is not Islamic at all. OK off the soap box, but what has just taken place in Calf. upsets me and I fear many Americans will want to punish all for what some really sick individual did. Let us not do this, be angry yes, but be angry at the right people and lets support all those that will be taken the fight to them and take the fight to them we as a nation have no choice but to do this. As Barney would so, "Nip it in the bud" May God bless this nation and open our eyes to why conservative people seem to hate us and our life styles. Ray B
Old 12-03-2015, 09:52 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Panama City Beach , Florida
Hi Al,

I recently ordered a "fivefer" (5 pole) flag holder from Sandlapper and he's bringing it to me at the Canopener. I too have been looking into poles. So far, the best option for flag poles appears to be what Sandlapper recommends - the Mr. LongArm 1" aluminum poles. I went to Lowes to look at their Blue Hawk poles and found that they are painted steel (I put a magnet to the pole). Other poles I found on the internet are not 1" in diameter but rather 1 1/4" to 1 1/2". Most of these poles are 3 piece extension or fiberglass poles and are much more expensive. True Value Hardware stores have the Mr. LongArm 1" poles - free shipping too if you have them shipped to a local store for pickup. Other sources on the internet kill you on shipping costs.

I'm in no rush, so I'll see what other comments come in on this subject before I buy anything.

Russ
AIR#24440 WBCCI#11740
Luckyducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 06:55 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Russ, I am going to call the local True Value and check to see if they have them in stock.

See you soon,
Al

Air #64439
Old 12-03-2015, 08:38 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Al and Russ,

If you can't find the poles in your area, Sandlapper will likely get you some and bring to Canopener if you ask. I bought mine from him.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:46 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
There are a number of places who sell quality flags and poles online.

https://www.polesandholders.com/prod...5&cat=1&page=1

Nice 16 or 20 foot pole with locking pins and swivel rings for multiple flags. They have LED light kits, holders and other fun stuff.

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 07:26 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Flag pole options for a Threefer?

Kathy's Quilt's, thank you for your service and thanks to all the brave men and women who we honor with our flags. And thank you for the information regarding illuminating "Ole Glory" after dark. Most likely anyone who takes responsibility to fly our flag while traveling is also interested in knowing the proper protocol.

I'd like to offer two very simple suggestions for lighting and flying the flag...
1- we secure an angled LED, angled up towards the flag and away from our windows, to the lid of the propane tank cover. A strip of double sided Velcro has held nicely.
2- we cut about 2" from the bottom of 2 of our 3 flagpoles so that Old Glory always flies at a height above the other two.

There are few pleasures in life as remarkable as waking up at a gorgeous camping location and stepping outside to gaze upon Old Glory flying proud at daybreak!

Stay proud & pledge allegiance 🇺🇸

Old 12-04-2015, 03:57 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Click image for larger version

Name:	Emma Louise 043.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	253333

I can't claim expertise in anything... at all... but I can say from experience that all things considered the MrLongArm poles can't be beat for cost, ease of use, durability, portability, availability, and aesthetics. They are worth the search.

And I don't work for them or make money from them. I just like them.

AND they are manufactured right here in the good 'ole USA....in Missouri.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Old 12-04-2015, 04:02 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
And the light.... heck yes...illuminate the flag by all means.

This is my way, a low voltage light (12v) from Lowes, the kind you would use in your yard. When used in your yard it requires a transformer to step the voltage down to 12v. Not necessary on the trailer, everything is already 12v. I tapped into the jack light for mine.

There are many types available, including LED.