Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-25-2011, 02:34 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Long Beach , Mississippi
Question Fire question

Me and my husband have never had a camper of any kind. We are going tomorrow to pick up an airstream that has fire damage ($300 and its still towable). No idea what kind yet and I have not seen the damage. From what we were told the person had a fire in a garbage can that spread to a cardboard box and a gas can and went under the camper and caught the floor on fire and caught the tub on fire...the exterior is discolored from the fire on that end. I'm just wondering if there are seals between the metal panels that could have melted or what? We already were looking for one that could be rennovated, but I dont know if this is excessive damage or what. Any feedback would be great...Thanks!
DandTPerez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Well, I live in Kiln, MS and could help if you wish. What year model is it? Fire damage can mean lots of things. Who did the estimate on the damage? Is it an insurance estimate? Lots of questions....... $300 does not go a long ways to make repairs in an Airstream. ASK LOTS OF QUESTIONS.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:05 PM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy View Post
Well, I live in Kiln, MS and could help if you wish. What year model is it? Fire damage can mean lots of things. Who did the estimate on the damage? Is it an insurance estimate? Lots of questions....... $300 does not go a long ways to make repairs in an Airstream. ASK LOTS OF QUESTIONS.
I'm thinking the trailer is for SALE for $300, not a damage estimate of $300. I'm cynical, but I'd expect a $300 Airstream to be big project.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
Well now, that's a different story all together. A $300 Airstream - had to re-read the post - you may be right.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
what year? some of the newer trailers have seams glued and riveted. the older trailers had sealed seams, but I think you can seal them again from the outside with a bit of cleaning and work. Airstream sells the seam sealer and a applicator.
probably will be a lot of work. but most old airstream refurbs are. one thing that comes after fire is rust, because what little protective coating on the steel gets burned off. Probably gonna have to replace most of the floor. That can be done from the top, but taking off the belly pan and inspecting from underneath would be a good start and gives you a chance to paint the frame again.
one way to go would be to do damage repair, get the shower and toilet and tanks working, and them camp in the shell and add interior as time and money permits.
sounds like there will be plumbing damage (easy repair). maybe check the holding tanks (more involved repair)? and the electrical wiring. and replace the copper tubing for the propane.
krud cutter from walmart is a good cleaner that works on airstream interiors.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:50 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Long Beach , Mississippi
I found out some more about it. Its a 69 Overlander. And yes, we are only paying 300 for it. It wasnt an insurance claim or anything it was on a hunting lease (and still is). The guy was selling it before the fire for 2500 and a friend of ours looked at it and was going to buy it because it was taken care of. But he doesnt want to fix anything and we seem to live for fixing up stuff (old houses, old cars, etc). We are about to walk out the door and drive 2 hours (each way) to get it so I'll post pics when we get back.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:56 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Long Beach , Mississippi
I should have asked what 6 lug wheels work as spares incase we need one, but we're taking a mid 90s nissan rim, just in case. And I might give you a holler clancy_boy. OK this time we're out the door...WISH US LUCK!!!
Old 10-26-2011, 04:59 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Long Beach , Mississippi
OK heres the pics...Its really not as bad as some of the pics make it look. I'm pretty sure we are going to restore it. I do want to sell the rims (the rotten tires are free) and hubcaps because theyre the old school 2 piece and my husband said he doesnt mess with those. Do people even want those? And I guess the hubcaps wont fit other rims so I'll sell those too. Apparently whoever said it caught on fire from outside is a moron. It looks like it was an electrical fire from the back, maybe a power inverter? but the tub is melted, toilet is ok (theyre right next to each other but ones gone and the other is fine), and the bunks look like they got it pretty bad. We are tearing all the cabinets, interior walls, and beds out. All I'm keeping is the sink and its countertop and the upper cabinets and the toilet. We are gonna replace the floor. Can you see the tanks with the floor out? Thanks for all the info...

1969 Airstream Overlander 27' | Facebook
Old 10-26-2011, 07:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
I'll say two things: 1) Anything can be repaired, anything. 2) Whew, you have a real project there...........
Old 10-26-2011, 07:16 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Fire question

Greetings DandTPerez!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstream ownership!

You may want to do a little more investigation regarding the true Vintage of the coach. The indicators are that it is a 1964 or older. The jalousie windows next to the entry door were last utilized in 1964 as was the door-within-a-door. From the photos, it appears to be an Overlander Land Yacht International which would have been classed as a 26' trailer during that period of time. My suspicion is that it is either a 1963 or more likely a 1964, but I am not absolutely certain.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:24 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
You have your work cut out for you

Wow, you have a project!

The best thing to do is to plan well and do a good bit of homework. Having renovated a gutted trailer myself, I can't emphasize this enough -- it will save you time redoing work.

This site is a goldmine, but sometimes suffers from an overload of information. I highly recommend this link as a great place to start: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ons-35399.html

If you like podcasts, see The Vintage Airstream Podcast | Vintage Trailer Resotration

In addition to eBay, you'll need to know some Airstream specific parts suppliers. These two are quite good:
Vintage Trailer Supply - parts and supplies for vintage travel trailers!
Inland RV Center - The Nations Leading Expert in Airstream Innovations

You're smart to start a thread. Post pics, generate interest and you'll get some great advice.

Good Luck!
John
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:27 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Martinez , California
If you end up having a smoke smell that you can't get rid of, Service Master and Servpro and other companies that do fire clean up have chemicals that they can spray in that will get rid of the smell. Of course, step one is to get rid of every single thing that is burned, and clean out any soot or debris. If for some reason something can't be removed there are special sealants that can be painted over smoke stains, to seal the smell in.
Mr.Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:43 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1963 30' Sovereign
westwego , Louisiana
Benjamin moore makes a fire "sealing" paint. Give joey helm a call at helm paint on earhart blvd in new orleans. Lemme know if you have trouble with finding the #. I think it 504-861-0279. He'll name the priduct for you and maybe even ship. Otherwise find a good local moore dealer.
NOLA Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:48 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1963 30' Sovereign
westwego , Louisiana
Oh and i have a 64 tradewind that i'm parting out if you need stuff. Just message me.
NOLA Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:08 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Long Beach , Mississippi
Wow thanks for all the info! I'm going to be gutting it over the next few days and I'll know if there is going to be a smell after I get glass back in the windows. The ceiling is buckled, I'm guessing from heat, but I think I'm going to try and work with it. But it is too bad down by the bathroom so I'll have to find something to replace it, but we will cross that bridge when we get there. I'm glad my husband understands all the electrical and plumbing because all I know to do is make it pretty. I am going to look into what it is since apparently its not what the guy said. I'll add some pics after I get more stuff out. Its my only project for the next few days so I should make good progress. I want to get the windows replaced asap, but I think we need to do something about the rims/tires first. They held up for the ride home but one of them went flat when we got it on the slab. My husband refuses to use the rims because they are the split 2 piece ones. Anywho, looks like I have a lot of reading and research (and hard labor), but apparently its what I love because I'm always finding stuff to get into. Thanks again for all the info and feedback!
Old 10-26-2011, 08:34 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Check it again. It is not a 69. Another thing...69 did not have split rims.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:41 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
5 panels and a door-within-a-door...

1964?
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:43 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Long Beach , Mississippi
Yea I'm gonna write down the numbers off of it in the morning and do some research. I just found out how the door in door thing opens and Im tempted to go out there and mess with it, but its dark. It will be the first thing I do in the morning.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:45 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Long Beach , Mississippi
From the pics Ive been looking at 64 would be my guess, too. Just by looking at the door and window styles and all.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:46 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
Here is your FB post pic of the numbers - you guys figure this out for them will ya.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	317712_10150429401196019_504896018_10226001_34473159_n.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	143752