Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2018, 12:59 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Seattle , Washington
Filling screw holes outside AS - newbie

Hi guys i was not sure where to post this. My AS came with a Fiamma bike rack with i took off last night. Its just not a good bike rack for my needs. My question is the 8 drill holes that were made to mount the top brace need to be filled and i am clueless on what to do. For now i just reinserted the 8 screws back into the holes just so they are covered. I attached photos. So....what do i do.
and while were here whats the best way to get the glue off that is stuck to the AS that was left by the black rubber pad that was between the brace and AS.

thank you!!!
Brad
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6085.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	316038   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6083.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	316039  

Bradley G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
As to the screws, that looks fine for now IMO, but you might want to get some rubber washers to put under the screw heads?

I know nothing about the clear coat on the AS, so will not suggest anything to remove the rubber. Best to find the exact right solution, which is above my pay grade!

Good luck,

Peter

PS -- Edit -- I happen to like exposed fasteners like the screws, in a funny "form follows function" way. You are never going to hide completely the fact that a Fiamma plate was there, so why try to mask that? If you can remove the Fiamma strut from its base plate, you could re-mount the base plate, and find some new use for it!

Also, if you keep the parts your Airstream will be worth a little more when you sell it to buy a larger one . . . .
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 02:10 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
2015 28' International
2013 28' International
Las Vegas , Nevada
You can leave the screws but be sure to seal them like OTRA15 suggests, or you can search out 8 olympic rivets and shaver tool to repair like Wally would have!
Use 3M adhesive remover to get the gunk off ($35 for 1 aerosol can, but it works when everything else doesn't, won't harm the AS finish).
https://www.amazon.com/49048-Clear-I...hesive+remover
vintagemotor is offline   Reply With Quote