Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-15-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
FC Stabilizer Jack Checkup

As we prepared to leave the campground last week went to crank up the right front stabilizer jack on our 2009 20'FC. Routine? No luck. Not good on a cold morning. Crawled under and discovered that the nut (3/8-24 with nylon insert) on the end of the crank shaft had simply come unscrewed and luckily fell on the ground along with the washer directly under the strut (my wife spotted the washer). Upon examination the cotter safety pin that fits through the hole at the end of the shaft had rusted and broke off allowing the nut to vibrate off the shaft (nylon insert was toast). Had my wife turn the stabilizer jack shaft as I guided it back into position, returned the nut and washer to the proper place and off we went. Upon our return I crawled under to check the other jacks and noticed the other cotter pins were still in place but rusting out as well. I replaced the nut and cotter pin on the right front with a stainless steel nut and stainless steel cotter pin. Bought enough nuts and cotter pins and next week plan to replace the existing with the new ones. Also noticed that all four wingnuts that hold the stabilizer foot in place were loose and rusting as well. Plan to replace all with stainless wing nuts. Might be worth crawling under to take a look!
jkinglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I had the same thing happen on our curb side rear stabilizer. I reinstalled the nut with red Locktite, and a new cotter pin, and have had no more problems.

The nuts try to unscrew from the shaft when you are retracting the stabilizer, and lubricating the moving parts helps reduce that tendency.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:25 PM   #3
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I had the same thing happen on our curb side rear stabilizer. I reinstalled the nut with red Locktite, and a new cotter pin, and have had no more problems.

The nuts try to unscrew from the shaft when you are retracting the stabilizer, and lubricating the moving parts helps reduce that tendency.
Good suggestion about lubricating those parts. Just added that to the project. Those wing nuts look like something off a cheap toy. Nice to crawl around under there every so often. Jeff
Old 10-15-2013, 09:31 PM   #4
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post

Steve, looks like you've owned a few (just 2 for us). Spotted a 1980 25' International in BC with Solar and well equipped. Pictures (especially exterior) look good. Is 12K way out of line?
Old 10-15-2013, 10:33 PM   #5
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
I've had the same problems; a good cotter pin is essential here. I recommend a dry motorcycle or bicycle (wax) chain lube for this sort of application.... and re-apply at least yearly.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:11 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkinglet View Post
Steve, looks like you've owned a few (just 2 for us). Spotted a 1980 25' International in BC with Solar and well equipped. Pictures (especially exterior) look good. Is 12K way out of line?
As with everything used, it depends on condition. If the condition is good, I would think 12K is OK. I've been burned a couple of times on used Airstreams, and interestingly, both times by dealers.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:38 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by barts View Post
I've had the same problems; a good cotter pin is essential here. I recommend a dry motorcycle or bicycle (wax) chain lube for this sort of application.... and re-apply at least yearly.

- Bart
Got curious....I've never noticed a cotter pin anywhere on the shaft.
Are the newer AS's different, or am I looking at the rong end?

Just occurred...could the pin be a fail safe, to prevent using stabs for leveling?......probably not, just cheeper.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09200.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	279.9 KB
ID:	198005   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09201.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	801.5 KB
ID:	198006  

Old 10-16-2013, 06:41 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Safari SE
Springdale , Arkansas
We too had the same thing happen two weeks ago while out camping. The nut stayed in place so I was able to get underneath it and rethread the rod thru. Didn't remember seeing a cotter pin at the end. This morning I pulled out the document for the jacks and in the illustration there was only a nut. Wondering now if I should re-examine it under the trailer and see if there is a hole for a pin. Put that on the list. I like having a list of things to check based upon what is found here in the forum.

Off subject question. I am not a fan of Paypal (worked with them professionally and have an concern with that model and their practices) anyway - Can I become a contributing member by using another form of payment other then PP?
Retail6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:57 AM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail6 View Post
..........snip

Off subject question. I am not a fan of Paypal (worked with them professionally and have an concern with that model and their practices) anyway - Can I become a contributing member by using another form of payment other then PP?

Continue with the application, it will give you the option of paying with your credit card, I do it at every re-up.

Bob
Old 10-16-2013, 07:39 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Safari SE
Springdale , Arkansas
Worked, Thanks!
Retail6 is offline   Reply With Quote