Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2015, 06:22 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandttimes View Post
Mine will close in rain without the fan running. I always leave them open in with the fan off. Makes no difference.

George
In my case it could easily be operator error. Still trying to learn something new everyday.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 06:30 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Steve, it close (shuts off) against resistance as well...not a stop switch. Listen to it next time you close it.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 06:55 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Rich, thank you.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 04-11-2015, 07:23 AM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
I agree with airdreamers, trying to clean the fan blades and the screens is rather difficult. I love my FF; however, I wish they would put a little turn knob on the screens that can be easily turned to release the screens and then turned to secure them like my screens at home. I do run one in exhaust and one in fan mode to circulate the air and we do get some debris in the screens and on the blades but the fresh air is wonderful.
kswelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:37 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandttimes View Post
Mine will close in rain without the fan running. I always leave them open in with the fan off. Makes no difference.

George
I always leave 1 vent open with a high temp fan setting. Closes in the rain fan on or fan off, no difference.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:39 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Thanks All. Thinking I might wait and get Maxxair' if I can find them up here at a decent price. I've done without for 20 years on trailers, I can wait a bit longer.

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:34 AM   #47

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
While we are on the subject of Fantastic Fans, I have noticed something else that is different in New Lucy. Her new fans do not have the rain sensor override like Old Lucy's fans. On a damp morning, the new fans won't run. I guess this is due to the moisture, and the fan thinks that it is raining. I know this must be the issue because after the morning dew is gone, the fans work just fine.

Was the override discontinued or did Airstream order fans without it to save an extra 75 cents.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:26 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
While we are on the subject of Fantastic Fans, I have noticed something else that is different in New Lucy. Her new fans do not have the rain sensor override like Old Lucy's fans. On a damp morning, the new fans won't run. I guess this is due to the moisture, and the fan thinks that it is raining. I know this must be the issue because after the morning dew is gone, the fans work just fine.

Was the override discontinued or did Airstream order fans without it to save an extra 75 cents.

Brian
On my 2014 FC 20, AS cheaped out and did not specify the reversing switches. So, I called FF and they were glad to supply two of them for about $45 with shipping, and then I had to put them in. Someone else said that FF sent theirs for free, they sure didn't for me.

So, AS saved maybe $2 a fan at their cost (probably less) and I had a resulting cost of $45 plus my time (worthless). I love Airstreams, but I always wonder about some of their decisions and practices.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:46 AM   #49
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Of course, you can do a manual override by pulling the "gear" wheel down and crank the vent open manually, and then turn on the fan. Once the sun has dried the morning dew, you can push it back in to re-engage and have everything back on auto.

My personal distraction is in foggy climates, when the vents open and close periodically all night! We disengage and go to manual for these occasions.
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 11:54 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
George, I have fiddling with the thermostat today after your suggestion. Sprayed a little water on the roof testing it. Worked great. Thank you for the suggestions.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:12 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
George, I have fiddling with the thermostat today after your suggestion. Sprayed a little water on the roof testing it. Worked great. Thank you for the suggestions.
I think that was dznf0g that made that observation. Thanks for the credits tho.

George
Old 04-11-2015, 01:20 PM   #52

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gecko View Post
Of course, you can do a manual override by pulling the "gear" wheel down and crank the vent open manually, and then turn on the fan. Once the sun has dried the morning dew, you can push it back in to re-engage and have everything back on auto.

My personal distraction is in foggy climates, when the vents open and close periodically all night! We disengage and go to manual for these occasions.
The new fans don't have that pull down feature to release the drive gear.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 01:26 PM   #53
Rivet Master

Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
The new fans don't have that pull down feature to release the drive gear.

Brian

I missed that function on our 2014 (our 2011 had the feature). I was told by someone (I think on the forums) that you just turn the knob with the gear engaged. It is harder to get the fan open due to resistance of the motor gear, but it does open.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 01:50 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Mine has that feature. You pull the knob down and you can manually crank open the fan.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 01:29 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrum View Post
I missed that function on our 2014 (our 2011 had the feature). I was told by someone (I think on the forums) that you just turn the knob with the gear engaged. It is harder to get the fan open due to resistance of the motor gear, but it does open.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Our 2014 has that feature.

George
Old 04-12-2015, 05:31 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
On a damp morning, the new fans won't run. I guess this is due to the moisture, and the fan thinks that it is raining. I know this must be the issue because after the morning dew is gone, the fans work just fine.

Brian
One of my pet peeves with FF fans. And on a muggy rainy day, you have no fans.That's why I've switched to MaxxAir fans.

Also, when open, MaxxAir fans don't flop around in the wind.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:52 PM   #57
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Have you ever parked them facing "backwards" in high winds? (That is, with the rear of the AS facing into the wind.) Does the fixed cover, which I now imagine works as a funnel, protect the closing cover from blowing off backwards (because it won't let the cover go past vertical?)
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 04:02 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
If you have the MaxxAir over the vents (relative to the prior 2 posts) the lid is wedged up against the top of the MaxxAir and you get no rattling. ...and

Unless it is a heavy windy rain directly from the rear the rain sensor doesn't get activated and close. It has happened to me, but only a couple of time in many years. If it does occur, I manually open the lid and turn on the fan. When the rain sensor dries, I switch back to automatic.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 07:26 PM   #59
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
LaMarque , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
On my 2014 FC 20, AS cheaped out and did not specify the reversing switches. So, I called FF and they were glad to supply two of them for about $45 with shipping, and then I had to put them in. Someone else said that FF sent theirs for free, they sure didn't for me.

So, AS saved maybe $2 a fan at their cost (probably less) and I had a resulting cost of $45 plus my time (worthless). I love Airstreams, but I always wonder about some of their decisions and practices.
Well I also have a 2014 FC with two fans. I was not sure if or not the fans flowed both ways. I think I now know. I'd like to get the same switches you did. Can you please pass on as much info as possible about these and process for installing them. It's sad that with the cost of a new AS that they can't spring for these cheap switches. Oh well. Thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums silver bp
silverbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:42 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbp View Post
Well I also have a 2014 FC with two fans. I was not sure if or not the fans flowed both ways. I think I now know. I'd like to get the same switches you did. Can you please pass on as much info as possible about these and process for installing them. It's sad that with the cost of a new AS that they can't spring for these cheap switches. Oh well. Thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums silver bp
It was a couple of years ago (mine delivered in June 2013) but I called FF and talked with them. They sent the switches and an instruction sheet as to how to install and wire them. Like every first time job, it did not go simply on fan #1, but of course #2 was easier. The work involved removing the interior trim and some fussy work with getting the wires connected right. All work can be done from the inside. The instructions were not all that clear. The proper wires were provided, but just how they connected took some looking and thinking.

The cost, as mentioned in my post, was about $45 for the two switches and shipping.

With the reversing switches, I have complete versatility with the in and out flow. I often find that with the lights on inside, no see um type bugs come in through the screens, but don't seem to go up high on the roof of the rig, so running one out and one in gives me a lot of air flow and the bugs don't follow it, even with the lights on. I can even pressurize the interior, leave the kitchen window open a little and force the bugs away with the outgoing air flow.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote