Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2004, 04:42 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Early '90s 34 ft Classic Limited

I'm strongly considering purchasing an early 1990's 34 ft Classic Limited that appears to have been well maintained. Can anyone offer advice on "typical" problems associated with the models of the early 1990's, as well as any potential pit-falls to guard against? Thanks!
davidp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 06:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Ours is a '95 30' Limited Classic, and we do love her! A common problem with this vintage is the white foam/vinyl type ceiling covering that tends to loosen with time and hang slightly in the LR and BR areas. With my tired eyes, I hardly see it! I'd love a solution to reapply it, some have suggested injecting glue behind the foam, but I just periodically press it back in place. A trim piece to support it would require rivets or screws and there is no support for that in places where it loosens. We have chosen not to consider this a barrier to our use of and enjoyment of the trailer, and so it isn't! Clearcoat is usually going to show signs of wear unless the unit has been consistently stored--again, we choose not to consider this a barrier to enjoyment. Always ask for the owner's demonstration that EVERYTHING --gas, electric systems, and even water --works, or if it doesn't, figure that into an acceptable price so that you can later deal with replacement. Check for leaks, soft floor, and so on, (search previous threads on this forum) but this probably wouldn't have developed severely in a cared-for 90's-just my opinion of course. For example, we developed a leak during our Montana trip this summer in the foot valve of the toilet. A nuisance on our trip, not too surprising considering nearly 10 years use and hauling to Alaska and through Western gravel roads, and on a positive note, it llet me come home and replace the carpet (yuck! in a bath room!) with vinyl. Wheels, axles? We think this is a terrific vintage, very comfortable, a little heavy, but with adequate tow vehicle, hitch, and braking equipment, no problem. Best wishes in making your decision!
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 09:13 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
You know, my Limited had Minnesota plates on it when I bought it (in Oklahoma).

Based on everything I've read (mostly here) there really isn't much beyond what you would expect to see on any Airstream of this age. Just make sure that all systems function to your satisfaction before the cash hits the barrelhead. Like maxandgeorgia, I have experienced a minor amount of the vinyl and wall carpet un-sticking with mine, but through 1992 they had the vinyl adhered directly to the aluminum (not sure about the '93's). The early 90's Limited (mine included) have the A&E front and rear stabilizers. Mine are all electric, but I believe some were hydraulic. My front ones were fine, the back ones, well, aside from a fair amount of rust on the stabilizer assembly, and the fact that it looks like a PO drove off with the streetside rear one not fully retracted (resembled a pretzel). Fortunately, Ultra-Fab Products makes that stabilizer (Power Twin) now, and obtaining parts direct from them has been a snap.

Other than that, be prepared for an occasional tail drag, and extra tire scrubbing in tight turns on the third axle. Mine pulls effortlessly and backing it's a breeze. I plan to have it for a looooooooong time!

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 05:54 PM   #4
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
MaxandGeorgia and Dave and pretty well summed it up. They're well built and have few problems; certainly no more than you'd expect in any other trailer. If it has the side-by-side fridge (ours does) MAKE SURE it works! The replacement's about $1500! Everything else is pretty stock stuff, and fairly easy to repair as necessary. They're straightforward; what you see is pretty much what you get.

Have the brakes inspected and the bearings repacked. Air the tires up to max pressure to keep them on the wheels when turning tightly. Give yourself a little more room in turns as the trailer cuts in a little closer than you'd expect with a 25'. That's really about it!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 02:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
I have a 94-34 limited. Clearcoat isn't the best in the world but ok. The walls are covered in a white fabric that will accept velcro hook as if the wall were the pile. The adhesive that attaches the white fabric to the walls has a dark splotch that shows through in several places no known cure. Check the seams around the trailer at the trim, they can be a source of leaks if the caluking is not in good shape. I love the trailer. When putting the jacks in the stored position let them down slightly after they retract. This will prevent them from being in a bind and they will deploy the next time you need them.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 06:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Davidp, have you joined our "90's Limited Club"? Just wondering if you made a decision about the '94. If so, be sure and let us know all about it. You'll find several owners here who love this era of Airstream.
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Old 09-28-2004, 08:10 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

90's Limited Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
Davidp, have you joined our "90's Limited Club"? Just wondering if you made a decision about the '94. If so, be sure and let us know all about it. You'll find several owners here who love this era of Airstream.
I'm picking up the 34 ft 1991 Classic Limited this weekend - it sure is a great trailer! When I went to inspect it, it was clear that it had been well maintained. Unfortunately the axles aren't in the best condition. I emailed pictures to Inland RV and Airstream, they agreed that while immediate replacement wasn't required, it would likely need to happen within the next few years. Andy at Inland felt the poor condition was due to the trailer sitting for an extended period of time. I also found a tiny area of floor rot near a valve that had leaked at one time, and of course the clear coat is in pretty bad shape. So, I need to join the club! One of the reasons I like this unit is that it still has that airplane feel because it isn't a widebody - I think that adds so much to the character.
davidp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 08:22 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
pictures pictures!

We must have pictures!

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 08:33 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
David I think you will enjoy the unit. Everything mechanical needs to be maintained and a little tlc will have yours like new in no time.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 01:33 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
1993 30' Excella
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidp
I'm picking up the 34 ft 1991 Classic Limited this weekend - it sure is a great trailer! ... So, I need to join the club! One of the reasons I like this unit is that it still has that airplane feel because it isn't a widebody - I think that adds so much to the character.
David,
Just think of the widebodies as 747s!

Charles
('99 Classic Ltd/2003 Excursion 6.0L)
linc54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 02:47 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Canton , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidp
I'm picking up the 34 ft 1991 Classic Limited this weekend .......

You really need to check out the rear tires. They seem to take the most abuse when turning and also carry more weight. Even if they look OK, but are more than 4 or 5 years old, I would replace them before driving very far.

Please read my "Tale of Woe: or How I saved a buck and destroyed my sewer connection" at: http://www.airforums.com/forum...light=tale+woe

At least replace the tire in front of your sewer connection with a new one. You may be saving yourself many times the cost of the tire.
dmreilly10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 06:24 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel
David I think you will enjoy the unit. Everything mechanical needs to be maintained and a little tlc will have yours like new in no time.
Hello, I just joined this forum. I'm seriously considering buying my first RV & being a native Ohioan am looking at Airstream very seriously. I own a local business in Tidewater and do travel three or four times a year on business - I also have relatives and friends around the country so I'm looking for something to live in & travel in. I don't think I want anything as large as a 34 footer, but would appreciate whatever advice you can offer. I'm looking at 25 to 28 footers.... I'd appreciate any advice you can offer... I've read a lot of these posts and I really think I want a used model in the 92 to 95, but would like to hear from you and other members about the pros and cons of new vs used. Thanks for any information you can share.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 07:54 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Classy style and comfort without the depreciation suffered driving a new one off the dealer's lot! Strong reasons for the 90's. . .at least in our point of view. Who knows, we might even find some appreciation in value considering the way Airstreams are gaining attention these days Okay, not likely, but at least the big "new" loss-cost has been enjoyed by someone else, and we inherit all the style, the lasting quality, the incredible comfort of an Airstream that is still going strong at a much more palatable dollar figure. We realize that our lightly-used homes-on-wheels are going to need maintenance and eventually some replacement parts, but we feel pretty confident, seeing the number of really vintage Airstreams that are on the road, giving enjoyment to owners. Do your research, know what you are purchasing-pluses and problems, and then. . .love your Airstream!
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU