Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2020, 03:25 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Newport , Washington
Drawer coming loose from slide

The drawers in our 2019 FC snap into the drawer slides. First, at the back of the slide is a horizontal pin that goes into a recess in the back of the drawer. Then the front of the drawer snaps down into place on the slide.

The weight of the silverware in one of the kitchen drawers tends to create enough momentum that when the drawer is pulled out it comes far enough forward that the rear of the drawer disengages from the horizontal pin on the slide and the drawer falls off of the slide.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and if so how did you resolve it?

Thanks for any advice you have have......

Dale

2018 Flying Cloud 19
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Diesel
KelloggKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 03:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I had this problem with one of the drawers my 2020 International, on one side of the drawer. I drilled the recessed hole a bit deeper, perhaps 1/16th of an inch. That additional depth was enough to allow for a more positive lock once I adjusted the slide, and it solved the problem for me.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 06:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Reduce the weight? We spent the first couple months moving things around to avoid this. We carry two of each silverware and plastic utensils just in case we have visitors.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 02:20 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Newport , Washington
Our 19' only has 2 drawers in the galley so not much opportunity to reduce the weight. Although it didn't appear to need it I followed Dennis's advice and drilled the hole in the back of the drawer deeper. In fact I drilled it all the way through into the drawer so I could see what was going on.

Turns out I mis-diagnosed the root cause of the problem. What was happening was that when the drawer was all the way out there was enough side to side play to allow the latch on the left side to unhook, the drawer would come forward just enough to come off the pin, and then the latch would re-catch.

There is a small rectangular hole in the bottom of the slide right near the latch. I put the drawer back in place, secured the latch, and ran a tiny screw up through that hole and into the bottom of the drawer. Now the drawer can no longer come unlatched. Of course this means that if we wish to remove the drawer for any reason we will first have to remove the screw but for us that is an acceptable work around.

2018 Flying Cloud 19
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Diesel
KelloggKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 05:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Glad you were able to address the situation.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 03:57 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Clayton , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
I had this problem with one of the drawers my 2020 International, on one side of the drawer. I drilled the recessed hole a bit deeper, perhaps 1/16th of an inch. That additional depth was enough to allow for a more positive lock once I adjusted the slide, and it solved the problem for me.
This is exactly the problem. AS is not drilling the holes deep enough. The drawers on my 2020 Bambi 20’ were falling out while traveling out west from NC back in Sept/Oct. I was at wits end trying to figure out why. Finally I did by noticing that those holes were 1/32 or so too shallow. Drilled them out a bit and then the forward facing prong could go in far enough to allow the orange and grey catch at front bottom of drawer to fully engage with the glide rail. ASDoing very poor QC. I detailed the problem, with pictures and sent to AS CS. Their response was “sorry for the inconvenience”. Drill out holes and put drawer in and close a bit forcefully. Then put your hand onder draw and feel the glide rail and make sure it is locked at front. Problem solved. And I have all my knives, forks, spoons, utensiles in top drawer and no more opening failures on the road.
smsasf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 07:22 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Kill Devil Hills , North Carolina
glad you got it fixed
Hi OH Silver is offline   Reply With Quote