Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-16-2008, 08:38 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Holy Cow!

I just saw this thread... YIKES! I'm so glad it all worked out well in the end. J/C does do beautiful work! Also, kudos to the campground owners for covering your deductable, not many Mom & Pop places could/would be able to do that. They must be real nice people.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:39 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
This reminds me...

Now that my Argosy is finished (sort of), it's time to call National Interstate and add the Arg to my Base Camp's policy...

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:38 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Bad things happen for a good reason......

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagnerda
Hi again,

And yes, that is a nice shiny new Fantastic Fan in place of the original rear vent (I paid out of pocket for the Fan upgrade and some other goodies).

Since I was so far ahead of where I thought I would be (since I had already mentally figured I was out-of-pocket 5K for repairs), but then wasn't, I thought it was only right that I should still spend the 5K and get some goodies for the trailer.

So, I got a new Fantastic Fan for the rear, the solar charging system with 2 new AGM batteries, and the rear and street side awnings. Couple pics attached of the rear awning, the solar panel, the street side awning and the "C" ring at the JC Terraport.

Anyway, heading back to MD in the morning..

best regards, Dave
Hi, Mom always said all bad things happen for a good reason; In your case, you regained faith in insurance and got some nice up-grades that you might have never done, except for the fact that you just happened to be at the right place at the right time. Glad to hear that it all worked out good, for you and your beautiful trailer is back and ready for action.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 11:21 AM   #44
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Do you know if they would insure if you had an outbuilding on the property? Something like a small pre-fab shed or barn?
They will but right I am trying to decide if I am going to keep it. My plans changed dramaticly when I lost my medical. My plans to build a hangar and house my plane kind of ended.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 12:26 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Hey Dave...

So glad everything is repaired as good as new and then some...and that the indurance came through for you without a glitch...congratualttions!

Don't you just love the rear and street side awnings! And you are going to like the solar package, too... I have been wanting add a rear Fantastic Fan to ours, too...will do that one of these days... Your unit and ours now look nearly like identical twins! Good looking kids, eh?

Again, congrats and glad it's all over!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 04:26 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
State Farm Auto insured my Sovereign which was a total loss in February.They settled quickly and very fairly. I was impressed with the service.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 07:26 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Dave
See I told ya! You now only have pics of bad luck. Im glad you are happy with the workmenship of JC they are fine people,actually we are all nice folks here and we do GOOD WORK. Come on back when U can stay a little longer and I hope under different circumstances.
I'm really glad it all worked out for you.
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 08:05 PM   #48
1962 Streamline Countess

Kamloops , bc
Hi Dave
I to have roof damage the only thing differant is that me seam opend up and I may have to replace the back 2 flat roof pannels
Attached Images

ve7rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 05:45 AM   #49
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Central Part , Maryland
Nice visit to JC...

Hi again,

Since I got to JC early on Friday afternoon (left home 5AM, pulled into JC at 1PM) I figured I would also take the 2 PM factory tour again and found out that it is a little different on Friday's compared to the rest of the week. Seems the factory people pretty much work four 9 hr days then just a 1/2 day on Friday so in the afternoon for the Friday tour the factory is pretty much quiet, only a handful of people there and you really get to see a lot, and from a little different perspective compared to when all the cutting and riveting is going on. (as a side note, it is nice that they set up working hrs to get every Friday afternoon "off" -- one of my big complaints about being retired is I never get a day off...)

At any rate, you can't help but be impressed how they take rolls of aluminum, boxes of rivets, and sheets of plywood at one end and roll out shiny new Airstreams at the other end. Since there was nobody working on the shells we got a nice close up and personal look inside of them and you can't help but be impressed by the quality of the work and the level of detail that is inside the walls. It really gives a person a better understanding of why Airstreams cost what they do. Quality craftsmanship costs money.

They also had some of the new 2009 models being assembled with some really nice new floorplans...

Also, if you are stopping at JC and get hungry, there is a nice pizza place in town called "JC Pizza" (they are not very creative with their naming I guess), anyway it is walking distance from the terraport. Just walk over to the stop light (there is only 1 stop light in town) and you will see the pizza place on the left. The guys there said they will also deliver over to the terraport if you call and tell them which site you are on.

This was my second JC maintenance/repair visit and once again it was just great. I know there are plenty of other choices for Airstream repair/maint, but when JC is just 8 hrs (or as my new measurement is -- only 40 gallons away) it will continue to be the only place I go when I need something done.

best regards, Dave
AIR#23096
" I am lost and have gone Airstreaming to find myself, If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait..."
wagnerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 09:46 AM   #50
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
tampa , Florida
Whoa, that hurts to look at! Really sorry to hear that.

I had the top 1/2 of a tree about 8" in diameter fall in a spot where I park mine seasonally. Thankfully my AS wasn't there at the time or it would have gotten pummeled.

As much as it hurts to share that story, thanks for doing so. I'm going to be much more aware of my surrounding when I park it!
kstampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 09:47 PM   #51
1962 Streamline Countess

Kamloops , bc
This damage was sustained sometime before this bute came to me. It is surprising to so that the going rate for olimpic rivets are $1.85. Thanks to this forum Inland Rv was brought to light I was able to get 300 rivets for $94.00. That adds up to quite a saving.I do not have the insurance option so for now I am going to remove the spent rivet back aways buff the seam put in the seatant and find some 5/32 sheet metal screws about 1.5" then use a 1/4'' ratchet to take up the slack in the roof pannels as I use a suckion cup to pull the roof pannel up to meet to other one above. Then after this secure I will take every second screw out and replace them with the olimpic rivets. It may not be real pretty but it will be water tight. Thankfully it is on top and can not be easly seen from the ground. That will be my august project
ve7rye is offline   Reply With Quote