Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-11-2020, 09:38 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Ashburn , Virginia
Dometic refrigerator icing/frosting very quickly

Hi all!

All of a sudden our dometic fridge in our 25' 2016 flying cloud is icing on the fridge fans and frosting up in the freezer super quickly - within a matter of days of defrosting both fridge/freezer it is iced up again and has significant frost in the freezer.

I have it set on 4 out of 5 - when I set it on 3 it barely stays under 40 degrees.
Set on 4 it is staying at 37/38 so it is cooling. It is not running constantly or anything - just icing up.

We are in SoCal - so it is warm but not hot - 70's during the day and the unit is not in direct sunlight.

Any ideas what might be wrong? I checked the door seals on both and they are all fine - so it isn't outside air getting in. It isn't an issue of shoving too much stuff in the unit - it is full but not overstuffed.

TIA!
MicheleL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 03:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
MicheleL,

Sorry to hear you’re having cooling trouble!

Your Airstream has an absorption refrigerator which is different than what we have in our homes. I stumbled across a YouTube video that does a great job of explaining how they work and how to troubleshoot.

I’ll warn you up front it’s a little corny but this guy knows his stuff. Watch the video and let us what you find.

Good luck!
Jeff
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote