Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-30-2018, 09:38 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Victoria , Texas
Dometic Refrigerator DM 2862 not working

Our 2018 Inter. Signature refrig. did not work this weekend and we had to cut our trip short. I need info on getting into the Power Module panel box located in the outside access door. I know there are fuses in there that I may check but cant figure out how to open box or if it is worth it to try to get to those fuses.
All control panel lights are working and I am not getting a check light coming on. I have checked the GFCI plug in the outside access compartment. I am three hours from service center and would like to troubleshoot myself.
Ccomono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Were you on an electric hookup or boondocking (no hookups). Sometimes my fridge doesn't automatically switch to propane, so I always check it and if needed manually push the button to make the switch. Of course you have to have fuel in your bottles and have at least one open.

Newer unit, and you didn't mention trying it on gas.

Paula
Old 07-30-2018, 04:12 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Victoria , Texas
Dometic 2862 not working

Paula, we were on a old 30 amp line. I knew I could only run one AC and I so we did. We did try to run on gas but it never would cool. We could hear the gas line "ignite" but no frio. This is the 5th. or 6th. time we have taken her out can't imagine frig going bad so soon.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:31 PM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Hmm.... If you could hear the igniter, the issue isn't likely to be in one of the fuses on the board, but I was in the box for my fridge this past weekend. You need a small flat-blade screwdriver to hook into a slot at the base of each side the black plastic cover down close to its base and pry it gently a little bit to the side, then the cover will open exposing the connectors and the fuses.

My first guess would be that either you have a bunch of air in the gas line or there's an issue with your burner orifice. When I've had the gas off for a long while, I'll typically light the stove for a moment (to help clear air from the line) and then get the water heater to light. The water heater has a high-BTU burner so it purges the line much faster than the fridge can with its tiny burner, and in my trailer the water heater is the aftmost appliance on the gas lines. Once I get the water heater to light off, the fridge usually lights on its first ignition cycle but if I just turn the fridge on it'll often fail to light for a few cycles. (I'm assuming by "hearing it ignite" you mean the tic-tic-tic of the igniter.)

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:03 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Victoria , Texas
Dometic DM 2862 not working

David, Thanks, I was able to pry off the cover to the module box. Barrel fuse looks good. I will try running Frig. on gas again and monitor from the outside access area. In meantime, i have a call in to a local RV service center and see if they can work me in.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:09 AM   #6
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccomono View Post
Our 2018 Inter. Signature refrig. did not work this weekend and we had to cut our trip short. I need info on getting into the Power Module panel box located in the outside access door. I know there are fuses in there that I may check but cant figure out how to open box or if it is worth it to try to get to those fuses.
All control panel lights are working and I am not getting a check light coming on. I have checked the GFCI plug in the outside access compartment. I am three hours from service center and would like to troubleshoot myself.
Hi Ccomono,

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at customer_support@airstream.com

Thank you.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:41 PM   #7
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
If you have plenty of gas and the stove will light and stay on. You may have corroded terminal connections. Find the circuit board connections and any other for that matter, pull them apart and clean them with contact cleaner and then coat them with dielectric grease. You will never have to do that again. That fixed mine eleven years ago.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:50 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Victoria , Texas
Dometic Refrigerator 2862 not working

All Right Guys! RV Doctor just left and here is the diagnosis. Cooling unit is bad or as he put it, my coils are clogged up. Heater and element are hot to the touch and all the electrical is working properly, something in the coils is preventing the ammonia from circulating. My question is, how does a new 2018 AS which has been used for at least 5 times since March, get clogged coil lines?? Any way, thanks for all your help in trying to trouble shoot this frig. On a sad note we had to cancel our trip this next weekend. Wife says she ain't living out of a yeti anymore.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:19 AM   #9

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I can't say how a new one might clog, but you should get a warranty claim with Dometic started ASAP.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 11:59 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Laguna Vista , Texas
New 2018 fridge not working

So our 2018 refrigerator stopped cooling after 3 weeks from purchase, on our way home lost our food. Mobile RV tech ordered new one. Installed worked for a day, now on second week with calls to Dometic and AS at our hometown. Fridge pulled runs great in their shop. Fans and bracket ordered being installed in a week. My question is why in the world would they not have fans installed and gosh please tell me this is the issue.
Spimimi9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:17 AM   #11
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccomono View Post
My question is, how does a new 2018 AS which has been used for at least 5 times since March, get clogged coil lines?
Operating the refrigerator for more than 45 minutes when it is out-of-level can clog the coil system. Sometimes, maybe better said as rarely, it can be rectified by sloshing the unit (a difficult task) within a short period immediately following the incident.

Parking on an incline with the reefer running on propane while having a long, leisurely lunch break after a morning spent driving is one scenario where this can happen.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:34 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Monrovia , California
We also had to have our refrigerator replaced within the first year. We are careful about leveling, I think it was just a bad unit. Too bad the warranty did not cover the food we lost. I am not impressed with the Dometic ammonia cycle refer. They do not keep food consistently cold and safe. This was verified at seminar at the Salem Rally. They are sensitive to installation placement and ventilation. Just note the problems the Basecamp has. Use temperature sensors to monitor you food temperature
Kay0 is offline   Reply With Quote